VK Maritime Mobile

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

VK Maritime Mobile

Post by VK4UH »

Can anyone confirm the requirements under the current LCD for Maritime mobile operation?

I can't see any reference at all?

Kevin VK4UH
Brisbane
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
ZL1RQ
Forum Novice

Re: VK Maritime Mobile

Post by ZL1RQ »

Just do it, however you are generally required to have the permission of the Master. Also if you enter foreign waters/ports you need to operate as per what ever recipricol licence conditions apply.

Regards
Alan
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4UH wrote:Can anyone confirm the requirements under the current LCD for Maritime mobile operation?

I can't see any reference at all?

Kevin VK4UH
Brisbane
Hi KJ,

I couldn't find anything specifically related to maritime operation in the LCD. I think you probably need to comply with the operating procedures as set out by the ACMA. Drawing a long bow you may need to keep in mind the 4 month limitation for working away from your home location should you wish to undertake an ocean voyage. As mentioned by Alan, the master of the vessel may not appreciate amateur operation so let him know what you're doing ahead of time.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

If you want to operate maritime you need the ship owners/operator permission, the captains permission and your gear is likely to be also needed to checked by one of the ships officers. Your will also need an amateur licence operate under that is valid for the country the ship is registered under. Amateur Licences can usually be obtained from from ship registration countries for this purpose (usually for a fee).

However from what I have seen most cruise ships are not amateur radio friendly with some expressly forbidding amateur radio operation (even though they permit handheld walkie talkies - do they check frequencies?). If they do permit amateur radio operating restrictions are placed an antennas such as maximum length 1.5M etc. Went on a cruise recently to ZL on a Carabean line ship. I considered operating MM and got hold of an FT817 for the purpose but gave the idea away as the cruise line expressly forbidding amateur radio on their ships.

Remember they do xray all your luggage and they do confiscate what they do not like the look of it. I have seen someones goods being confiscated (on a different cruise) while I was hauled up to to open my luggage (because it appeared when they xrayed it as if there was something there they did not like - turned out they found nothing of interest to them).

Do a search on the web and you will find may stories of amateur radio experiences with MM operation on cruise ships.

If you find an easy way to operate MM let me know.
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK6ZFG wrote:
However from what I have seen most cruise ships are not amateur radio friendly with some expressly forbidding amateur radio operation (even though they permit handheld walkie talkies - do they check frequencies?). If they do permit amateur radio operating restrictions are placed an antennas such as maximum length 1.5M etc. Went on a cruise recently to ZL on a Carabean line ship. I considered operating MM and got hold of an FT817 for the purpose but gave the idea away as the cruise line expressly forbidding amateur radio on their ships.
Indeed! I know someone that was almost keelhauled for operating a small ham radio from the deck of a cruise vessel. He was "apprehended" within a short time of setting sail, brought before the master and I think his gear was confiscated for the duration of the voyage.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

It is a number of years ago since I tried to get permission to operate on the way to Antarctica on a German-registered ship. I had a meeting with the master and the radio officer (also a ham) who turned the request down for three reasons: 1. Whilst in international waters the ship was "German territory" and I did not have a German ham license. 2. The content of all radio transmissions from the ship needed to have the master's or officer of the watch approval. 3. There was a chance that my transmissions could interfere with shipboard equipment. Having said that, I have worked a lot of MM mobile stations including ships traveling to or from Antarctica.

I went on a cruise last year and AR and CB radio were prohibited in the Cruise Company's policy statement.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK6MB

Post by VK6MB »

P&O, Princess CL and HAL will give permission if asked. I operated JMMFD from the "Sun Princess"

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do not allow it

73 Mike VK6MB
VK4MJF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4MJF »

John VK4MJF :J :J :J
VK6LD
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6LD »

I operated "maritime mobile" from a Royal Caribbean ship last year using RemoteRig, a 3G modem and 3G mag mount antenna on the balcony railing back to my home QTH whilst in range of Telstra services. I also had a 2M/70cm handheld for use on board.

I made sure I disassembled all the components and put them in separate cases & bags. Handheld in one case, battery pack in another and antenna in my backpack. Cases and bags are subject to X-ray everytime coming back on the ship.

Best range I saw from the 3G USB modem was getting a signal about 180kms south of Esperance in the Southern Ocean.

73's

Rob...
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

What everyone thought...

What KJ meant...

;)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4CZ wrote: What KJ meant...
Nice one Scott, this is a serious discussion and you've taken all the romance out of it. :om:
Lou - VK3ALB

VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

What's wrong with a tinny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Well I had visions of KJ waving a cutlass about wearing an eye patch and big hat with an ostrich feather sticking out of it sailing the high seas looking for new DX locations. Sounds like much more fun than sitting in a tinny.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

VK4EA said:

"What's wrong with a tinny?"
Nothing Peter... seen many pics of you /MM with the FT-817... makes a great ground plane :wink:
VK3ALB said:

Nice one Scott, this is a serious discussion and you've taken all the romance out of it. :om:
Lou - happy to assist. I could see that the discussion was being taken on a very different path to that which had been intended. And as for taking the romance out of it.... but I don't want to think that when KJ and Phil VK4IIO activate uWave from the back of a boat :oops:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

There is nothing special about being maritime mobile in VK as far as your license goes. It's the same as being mobile in a vehicle, on foot, on a horse etc.
As others have pointed out you need the permission of the master of the vessel to operate on that vessel (tinny or bigger) , but its not a condition of your license.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

It's the same as being mobile on a horse
Do you have to ask the horse for permission? :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

Neigh.........................
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Weakey links says...

Maritime mobile operation is defined as operating a transmitter that is located on any vessel at sea. This means any manned structure afloat outside of the high-water mark. Operating on vessels on inland waterways is defined as mobile working, and so requires /M to be added to the callsign, not /MM as for maritime mobile operation.[1]

There is a requirement that the amateur radio equipment must only be installed with the written permission of the vessel's master. This does not affect those who intend to install a transceiver on their own boat, but is relevant to anyone who intends to make transmissions from a ferry or other passenger ship. In such cases, the master of the ship has the right to demand radio silence from the amateur operator. There is no requirement to keep a log of calls, but a written record of information about frequencies, times, operators and their callsigns is in fact usually very valuable.

It is not a requirement that the station transmits its location, but of course this is advisable, and easy to do with on-board GPS location. UK amateurs have a system of regional secondary locators that they must use within UK territorial waters (e.g. adding D for Isle of Man, M for Scotland etc. in the second position in their callsign). In international waters, this is not necessary. When in the territorial waters of other countries, CEPT rules apply and these can get complex. The normal procedure is to prepend the national locator of the host country to the normal callsign, separated with another slash. So, amateur station A0AA, operating from a vessel within the territorial tidal waters of a country identified by the prefix B would identify itself as B/A0AA/MM when transmitting.

CONFUSED? :om:
When I ferry out to VK9L I have to sign VK/Am not N6/AM in VH plane but if it was a N rego plane on a ferry flight must sign my US call. Not my VK call.
Or if allowed N/VK3MMM/AM

In international waters, or airspace amateur licensees must only use frequency bands allocated internationally in each of the three ITU Regions.
In any country's territorial waters, they should abide by the frequency allocations and bandplans applicable to the host country.

You often hear US pilots signing their US calls over Middle east until they enter Saudi Airspace then they have to go radio silent can not tx..

Don't even consider flying a US registered plane using your VK call over the middle east you will possibly get shot own :popcorn:
Tread your own path :om:
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

Hi KJ all,

My take from over here in ZL is we currently have 12 nautical miles (22.2 km) out to see and is called Territorial waters. So I would assume our licence is valid out to that distance.

The territorial sea is regarded as the sovereign territory of the state under the 1982 United nations convention of the law at sea. So my take any further out to sea is International water.

Cheers Steve
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Moreton Bay is considered Aust waters, bounded by Moreton and North Stradebroke Is, so vk4uh/mm will be sufficient

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA