Solar Cycle 25...how old will u be?

Non band-specific propagation & Solar Cycle discussion
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Solar Cycle 25...how old will u be?

Post by VK6OX »

Conjecture, some science, doomsayers, keyboard experts. Even Amateurs have put forward when Sunspot Cycle 25 will happen!! :lol:

It is alleged from certain circles (probably concentric! :P ) that the next upturn towards peak will commence some time in 2019 with an alleged peak around 2022.

Regardless of when it actually happens, how old will u be, and will you still be at all interested in what it may or may not bring? :crazy:

In '22 I'll be 73....that's 6 yrs from now. Whether I'm still interested in things AR then, only time will tell. :?

What about you?
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK4WDM

Re: Solar Cycle 25...how old will u be?

Post by VK4WDM »

I will be 78. My interest in AR hasn't really wayned ( :mrgreen: ) since I was first licensed in 1963 and provided I am in good enough health and still have enough marbles in the bag I am sure that I will be still interested then.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DUX »

A cruel question Andy but I will fess up 72.

de john vk2dux (the recycled one)
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

Dam you ! Didnt want to think about it, but what the hell! I will be 66 and still in AR! :om:
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

I won't have reached retirement age, so regardless, I won't have lazy days to enjoy it, unless I win lotto in the meantime...
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

I will be getting nearer to 80 however as you get older the years go quicker - its a scientific fact - so I will very much less time to wait then a 20 year old just getting his first radio. We are only looking at 6 years that should go as fast as 3 to 4 years at my age.
Currently you can still make contacts however yesterday I could see some 20 spots around the world that picked up my signal and I could hear about 20 spots on the radio - the problem is the 20 I can hear can't hear me and the 20 that can hear me I can't hear. They should change the law so that propagation is reciprocal would make life easier.
John
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
ZL3ADC

Post by ZL3ADC »

I will be in my late 60's and hopefully will still be interested in my hobby, especially working 6M DX. :om:
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

Your all making me feel like a bit of a whipper snapper. Ill be planning my 60th with pole dancing and strippers... :popcorn: :beer:
I left this 6m game too late so have missed all the US prop that you could work on a whip and 10w. ( I think that part is made up ).
So yes ill be here giving it a nudge and hopefully the beacons are still blasting out there CW too.. One thing you can count on, everything changes.

Cheers,

Mark
2WHO.
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

i'll be late fifties early 60's i should be around especially 6m and 10m i only need 140 dxcc for honour roll on 10m (thats will be a focus 190 worked)only been in the hobby 4 years.
the lower bands have higher numbers for me but my main interest has always been these 2 bands.
cheers
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

I don't want to be a wet blanket but some sources are predicting that the next two cycles will be fizzers.

- David
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

Ah well, 55. Will there anybody to talk with? Might have my HB amplifier finished by then..... :crazy:
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Will still be well short of being able to claim 'seniors moments' by then...

So Allan... I should still be available (will be the same age as you).

It's sad that when I got my licence 30 years ago I was considered a 'youngster' ... and based on this thread in 6 years I still will be.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

Got my wheelchair ordered complete with remote control for the 6 meter gear.Complete with computer generated CW (because I wont be able to remember CW by then).
Wayne VK4WTN
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

Hi Scott,

I know what you mean... I had my Novice License in 1982, when I was 14 and the Full call when I was 15, and I remember being one of the youngsters :shock:

Allan
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

Who cares about the solar cycle, the DX is still there.

Adapt your techniques!
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

Health permitting I will be in late seventies, I was hoping for more from cycle 24 as I thought that would be my last chance but a fizzer.

I'm sure I will still have interest in radio & 6m but whether I will be living at a property that will allow me large antennas etc, who knows.

Whatever its been fun over the years and hopefully cycle 25 will be somewhat better than 24.

Brian
VK3HY
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3HY »

This thread reminds me of Sid Bryant, VK3CI (SK) from Nagambie who was a keen six metre operator. Year after year, Sid was heard to say 'this will probably be my last Sporadic E season'. Sid's annual prediction eventually came through and his familiar voice disappeared from the six metre band.

Gavin, VK3HY
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Edit. I cannot be bothered with this anymore.
Last edited by VK4GHZ on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

"Who cares about the solar cycle, the DX is still there"

Agreed. The sunspot cycle is why hams, like the military, aviation and maritime services, have bands throughout the HF spectrum. Choose the frequency and the mode (and we have much more efficient ones that we used to) to suit the stage of the cycle.

At this stage of the cycle there is no F2 on 6m but still sporadic E and TEP. 10, 12 and 15m are poor. 17 and 20m are unstable but still producing good contacts at times especially on CW and digital. I just looked at my 20m JT65 screen. There are nine different countries on it (vertical antenna only). 30m and 40m are getting much better as we swing towards the bottom of the cycle and 80m will follow.

Having said all that, I am looking forward to having good propagation again on 6 and 10m.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Adam

We used to have class distinction between CW and phone ops because only CW is "real" AR. I, and many others find that attitude offensive and hopefully it is well behind us.

Now you appear to be saying that digital modes are not "real" AR and that my 40m digital modes DXCC which took a bloody lot of hard work, long hours and heaps of skill is a "pseudo DXCC." If that is your position I find that comment also offensive. :thumbdown:

Hopefully you will either retract the comment or provide a clarification

Wayne VK4WDM