Solar Cycle 25...how old will u be?

Non band-specific propagation & Solar Cycle discussion
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Re: Solar Cycle 25...how old will u be?

Post by ZL1TPH »

Hey Wayne don't worry about it too much and best not to challenge someone. Let every one have their say.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Ok, thanks for the comment Steve and emails from others. Maybe I was being a bit over-sensitive and the remark only concerned WSPR, which I don't think can be used for awards anyway.

Wayne VK4WDM :om: (and a thin-skinned one at times :oops: )
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Cycle 25, um er not sure if it will be much fun but I will be there, then aged around 62 I will not be retired yet (dam you superanuation) and will be working on my "third class 50MHz DXCC" inbetween times.
Last edited by VK5PJ on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

I will be 82, I hope!
It's a daunting thought.
My introduction to 6m was in 1958 when a few watts,AM, and a reasonable antenna enabled me to work all VK, ZL, and a heap of JAs without really trying.
See you in 2022?

Nev
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

Will be 69 myself,If still here and brain still alive.Wonder about what noise level on bands will be.
Mark best I did was first US QSO 1980 W5UWB with 10 watts or less and tiny 3 element yagi up 12 feet.
Still remember that day.

Ross
VK4NWH
Forum Novice

Post by VK4NWH »

:P Still 21 :om: age is all in the mind :thumbup:
ZL2FAE
Forum Novice

Post by ZL2FAE »

Darn it i'll be 63 and still working :shock:
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

I don't care. I'll be there. :beer:

Meanwhile, I'll be chasing global Es DX on 6m . . . even if vicarioulsy. :mrgreen:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

I'll be just reaching my official use-by date in the military (yes - 60!) but hopefully still getting better run times in the Basic Fitness Test than some of the recruits...assuming my knees don't get worse...my back doesn't give out...my glasses don't fall off...

If the Army doesn't want me any longer - I'll be off with my better half in the caravan doing the "Big Lap" and working dx from some remote location in the Kimberleys using a doublet hung from a gum tree...but realistically, I'll probably still be working part-time in the Green (can do that until 65), trying to make more money for retirement, battling the rising QRN on 40m from my home station in the burbs, and dreaming about "doin' the big lap." }:[
John

"I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy."
Pontius Pilate - The Life of Brian
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK2ZRH wrote:I don't care. I'll be there. :beer:

Meanwhile, I'll be chasing global Es DX on 6m . . . even if vicarioulsy. :mrgreen:
In your dreams Roger.
What was date of your last dx worked again?
And me Ill be on my 5th solar cycle and an older SOF than I am now :om: 1st lic 1963.
In fact Im going to stay alive and annoy crap out of folks until I cant remember your names.. :popcorn
And then end up like Brian Falkenberg VK3FW Active from 1937-1957 1st guy to work ZS on 6M band and now buried in Byaduck Cemetry,
Tread your own path :om:
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

In fact I'm going to stay alive and annoy crap out of folks until I cant remember your names
Come on Steve, you will just grow mellow, quiet, and gentle just like me! :mrgreen: (forgot to mention the word "cuddly." :D

Wayne VK4WDM :om: On air since cycle 20 (Pleased I can still remember that) :thumbup:
Last edited by VK4WDM on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

does not matter how bad the cycle gets as long as Japan exists where will always be a QSO available
John
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK1MTS

Post by VK1MTS »

I'll be 35 in 2022 and hopefully still very much engaged in the hobby, seeing as how I'm still just a beginner!!
VK3OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3OE »

Stop dreaming.

There is a whole new world of nEs to explore to NA and Europe as has already been shown this year, and it happens twice a year.

So, the big question is how big is n, 14, 20? You do not have to wait till 2022.
Andrew
VK3OE/VK3OER
Science = hypothesis >> measurement >> Theory
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Andrew
happens twice a year.
What times of the year? Where is published info?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3OE »

Hi Wayne,

Yep, summer and winter solstices, +- 1 about month usually.

But you need to keep your ears pinned,,, look out when there is any local Es, summer or winter.

Check out the excellent series on nEs By Roger Harrison in DUBUS.
Andrew
VK3OE/VK3OER
Science = hypothesis >> measurement >> Theory
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3OE wrote:Check out the excellent series on nEs By Roger Harrison in DUBUS.
Unfortunately, this is an example of why ham radio became invisible to younger generations.
Information in a printed book (it's 2016!), you have to purchase.
* And, you need to know about it, in the first place. :thumbdown:

Hopefully there is an arrangement with the Dubus publisher to also allow publication of the article on the internet, where infinitely more people would benefit.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

VK4GHZ wrote:
Hopefully there is an arrangement with the Dubus publisher to also allow publication of the article on the internet, where infinitely more people would benefit.
Yep. Already done it. It's on summink called VK Logger. :lol:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Probably more important is whether a Google Search will generate links to new information.

A quick test using "A NEW MODEL OF VHF SPORADIC E PROPAGATION" as an example, turns up the 2012 WIA Magazine article, but nothing later.

It is not until one puts Andrew's callsign in a search that we start to see possible links to investigate.

Even when you type in "50MHz SSSP propagation", you don't see reference to Roger's series of articles until the second page of links.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3KTO
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KTO »

Greetings all,
If I am still vertical I will be 83 years old and hope to be doing all the things I do now. IE. Chasing DX in my spare time, making things, working portable and if my XYL lets me near a ladder, playing with antennas. When I read the post from Ross ZL3ADT about working W5UBW on 6 metres back in 1980 with 10 watts to a 3el. Yagi, I was promted to drag out a box of old 6 metre QSLs and found cards from W5EU and W5GVE in 1991 on April 20th and 28th. I was only running 30 watts to a 4 el yagi @ 20 ft. and received 5/7 and 5/8 reports. Jim W5EU noted on the back of his QSL that "it was his best opening to VK ever"! Bill W5GVE was running a Swan 250 at 90 watts. I think we used to call them a "Swan Too Drifty" Will we ever see the like again?
73 de Mike VK3KTO