23 on 23 October

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK7RR
Forum Novice

23 on 23 October

Post by VK7RR »

Following the huge success at Howell's knob in July, VK7RR, VK4BOO and VK4REX will be QRO Howell's Knob on 23rd October. We will be operating the same format as in July. Looking forward to some new stations working us on the day.
VK2MAX

Re: 23 on 23 October

Post by VK2MAX »

helo vk7rr i will be happy to work u blokes from howels knob. the only problem i have is people from vk4 looking south .. and will also be portable that afternoon also . grant
VK4ALF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ALF »

Ill bring the BBQ ... Snags on me . See you at howells
Len Falknau VK4ALF

Facebook High Altitude Balloon Australia Discussion Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1649591138615809/
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Re: 23-on-23+MAD: Sunday October 23, 2016

Post by VK4CZ »

Gee's... you guys have beaten me to start the thread. Was only today thinking I need to get the Aug 23-on-23 thread started.... But that's great. Shows that the 23-on-23+MAD concept has some value :thumbup:

Grant... always look to you when /P... did this from Kamarun Lookout (@710m ASL) on July 23 and called on numerous occasions... but I couldn't even work VK4UH and VK4EA 22km to my due south, let alone you. :oops:

Unfortunately the issue for SE VK4 is not pointing south, but our geography. }:[ Due to the Border Ranges to our south, the Scenic Rim and Great Dividing Range to our west, and D'aguilar Range and spurs to the north, it's Only the very eastern locations have good direct access to the south, and this extends to accessing AE path hot spots (we've proven that on the path to you between Trevor VK4AFL and my home QTH with a huge difference in the available hot spot). :thumbdown:

Unfortunately, to provide a clear path west of the coast to you requires /P locations south of the Border Ranges in VK2, and then precluding operation back to SE VK4 for uWave bands 2.4 and up! :roll:

I'm more than willing to push out an find a location that favors both....installing new roof top tent on the 4WD this weekend to accommodate the ability to support this approach more often and further afield. I'm actually be doing a reccie on the weekend of Aug 12 & 13 for a site in the SW corner of the Scenic Rim within Glenrock N.P [pic below looking toward BNE. Courtesy of the Mitsubishi 4wd Owners Club of Qld].
Glenrock NP_Mitsubishi4WDOwnersClubQld image.jpg
If Glenrock N.P the next site provides paths back to BNE and other SE VK4 /P locations I'll be there for this event.. but will look further to the South West, and hopefully with a 'view' to you for then FD and next 23-on-23+MAD.

In respect to the 23-on-23+MAD, we need to resolve the activity events operating protocols before this event.... we've tried a very structured band by band approach, as well as the 'free for all'. Neither have been ideal for fully enabling opportunity to maximise QSO by band.

I'm open to suggestions! :idea:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4BOO

Post by VK4BOO »

I'll be at Howells again....home grown eggs as well for the BBQ.

Cheers,
Bruce, VK4BOO.
VK7RR
Forum Novice

Post by VK7RR »

all good Grant, we shall have to do some path profiles and see how the path looks. I have been involved in 10 ghz for over 20 years but have re-kindled my interest since moving up here.
Let's hope for good weather on the day.

73 Brian VK7RR/4
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Brian, it's always good weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

Hi Bruce

Are you going to bring any fresh lamb steaks, strait from the hoof ?? :shock:

Rex
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

Hey Brian

You will see a difference, we have all moved on from Klystron modulated oscillators now :o

Rex
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

"lamb steaks, strait from the hoof"
Hoof steaks? They sound very tough to me! :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4BOO

Post by VK4BOO »

Plenty lamb at this location. I have just the beast for Rex. Brian VK7RR's mate Rambo.
Nothing wrong with Klystrons. I remember using the AN/TRC90A many years ago. A TWT driver (150mW) into "the big magnet" putting out 1KW on 4.4 to 5Ghz.

Bruce, VK4BOO.
VK7RR
Forum Novice

Post by VK7RR »

Peter, EA, I was on a microwave day on Mt. Wellington in Tasmania when Rex was a boy and the only visitor we had was an abominable snowman who was complaining bitterly.
The klystron worked a treat, by the way Rex.
I am sheepish about the idea of lamb steaks. Good beef tastes much better.

Brian VK7RR/4
VK4ALF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4ALF »

I have a supply of Warwick Snags .,. they are FANTASTIC .. Will go well with Mr BOO'S cackleberrys
Len Falknau VK4ALF

Facebook High Altitude Balloon Australia Discussion Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1649591138615809/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Ewe could ramble on forever about the wether and food but we better let the thread get back to serious issues before Adam lambasts us and gives us the chop :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

....might have my transverter by then. Prefer Piri Piri chicken mystery bags. :shock: What Vk2 activity is planned on the central coast...?
Allan
VK2EFM
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

I heard the Howell's Knob team will be trying their new Auralwave RX...
acusticcivil1.jpg
just hope they have the time to take a few video's before the BBQ and beers.

(And hopefully by then I'll have had the chance to complete the reccie to Glen Rock NP... had to cancel last weekend as my son didn't recover well from foot operation.... maybe get to do the reccie again in a couple of weeks!)
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4BOO

Post by VK4BOO »

That is only half of the new system. We use dual diversity working. Imagine another operator sitting next to the first man you see with the same setup. Smart aren't we!
Time for my medication, Rex....

Bruce, VK4BOO.
VK7RR
Forum Novice

Post by VK7RR »

It can't be Rex as he is not known for wearing such formal clothes. Our first venture last Monday attracted a lot of interest as the local landscape painters were sharing our position. Several offered their assistance to steer the equipment but we politely declined their offer.
Bruce, your excuse for being unavailable was quite imaginative.
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

Sorry Scott

We will all be bogged down on the day working all the DX

Rex
Attachments
dunny.jpg
VK4BOO

Post by VK4BOO »

Don't forget the Log sheets. (correct spelling)

Bruce.