Echolink and IRLP

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK4WDM

Echolink and IRLP

Post by VK4WDM »

Are Echolink and IRLP still worth running or have they been superseded by DSTAR and WIRES-X?

I know that some hams will say that Echolink and IRLP are not "real ham radio" because most of the communication is done by the internet, but I kind of like the idea of connected with far away repeaters especially in places that I am going to travel to. The advantage of Echolink unlike DSTAR and WIRES, is that I don't have to buy new equipment and the software is free.

What say you? But please say it nicely!

Wayne VK4WDM :om:
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Re: Echolink and IRLP

Post by VK3XL »

IRLP is still working. I am not a frequent user, but a few months ago a friend was travelling to Darwin so I made sure the IRLP link to Darwin was still active. I didnt manage to make contact with him while he was there as I went overseas a few days after he arrived in Darwin.
So yes it still works and from time to time I hear people activating various nodes on a local repeater I listen to.
I dont think it is as popular as it was at first.
I have heard that the shine has come off DStar as well. Never used it myself, just what I've heard mentioned by some of the folk that do use it.

My local node is 6300 if you want to give me a call to test the system out. Usually in the shack from 0800 utc most week days
73 Mike
VK3JUG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3JUG »

We have both in our area, with Echolink on the local 2m repeater, it tends to get used by club members away on trips keeping in touch with locals, or members out of range of the local repeater able to listen to the Sunday broadcast and call back.
PeterN
VK3JUG
VK7DB

Post by VK7DB »

Have a look at this..
http://status.vklink.com.au/
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Useful list. Thank you. I have got Echolink set up and working and had a PC to repeater contact into ZL3 today with good copy in both directions. There are an amazing number of stations accessible around the world and playing with it will be a lot of fun.

Next step will be interfacing a radio at this end.

Thanks for your help guys.

Wayne VK4WDM