Windows 10 and digimode programs

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK4WDM

Windows 10 and digimode programs

Post by VK4WDM »

I took the plunge and upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. JT65, MRP40, Fldigi, Digipan, CW skimmer and FreeDV (receive only ATM) still work OK using my Signalink USB interface. The only thing I had to do was to reset the sound cards to suit the Signalink and tweak the sound levels.

None of my files were lost (I did make a back up just in case) and all other installed programs seem to be working as they did with Win 7. :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Re: Windows 10 and digimode programs

Post by VK1JA »

You're a braver man than I :thumbup:

Did it keep all your installed programs? It scares me to think that I have to reload all the programs I have in Win7.

Glad it went well, I haven't taken the plunge yet, but I think the day is getting closer.
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

Has anybody noticed that the pressure to upgrade has got more aggressive recently? I have been resisting this at every turn
On Tuesday night my radio laptop quit its overnight WSPR task and downloaded Win10, in the morning I was greeted with a page that went something like "Welcome to Windows 10, click here to proceed" - there was no other option.
I closed the box and was then given the option of restoring Windows 7... which after a very long while... thankfully worked.

This is just wrong, anybody had a similar experience?

Glad to hear everything worked Wayne, gives me some hope.

- David
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

I run a small program called GWX Control Panel. FREEWARE! It stops your computer or any other Windows 10 updates from doing their nasty s**t! It sits and monoitors and stops it all! I will use Windows 7 until it drops off the planet! :-)
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

For me personally I don't like windows 10 at all. It is a clumsy operating system that take longer to find things and it is not a pretty as windows 7.
My laptop was screaming at the other day to upgrade to windows 10 and it was really bugging me so I found a website that shows you how to delete the windows 10 upgrade from the computer and have done it to all my windows 7 computers. I'm 100% digital mode now on Ham Radio and the last thing I need is someone telling me that I got to do something to my computer that I don't want to do. The windows update is named KB3035583. Just delete that file and it's gone. I also like this GWX control panel. Will be looking more into that soon.

Robert
VK4LHD
VK6DVR
Forum Novice

Post by VK6DVR »

Click on the [>] on the right-hand side of the first screen, and you get more...
Click on the [>] on the right-hand side, and you get more...
Click on the [>] on the right-hand side, and you get more...
Other dialog screens in between...
You can cancel here...
You can cancel here...
Windows-10_Recommended_Update_for_this_Acer1820_PC_008_0332x0234.gif (7.4 KiB) Viewed 10426 times
As you can see, I'm going for it tonight, so I'll report back tomorrow if all is well on this machine.
I already have one machine done and all looks good.
Danny Robinson, VK6DVR
LA9XNA
Forum Novice

Post by LA9XNA »

I ran WSPR the 15 and the time where just about when the tvilight zone started.
The laptop started shut down and started to "upgrade" to W10.
Everything got messed up after the "downgrade" my signalink did not work propperly and the CAT where only working partly.
The frequency stuf did work but i was not able to TX.
Restored back to W7 lost all everything on the desktop, because my desktop.ini file where corrupted.
Also had the same problems with getting the tranciever into TX.

I'll stay on 7 as long as I can.

73 LA9XNA
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

"in the morning I was greeted with a page that went something like "Welcome to Windows 10, click here to proceed"

That is what happened to me! I will give it a try for a few days and see what happens. I presume there is an easy way of reverting back to Win7?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Just do it and upgrade. Win7 has become a very fat old dog, ready for the retirement village. I cringe when I hear other Hams proudly boasting that they're still running XP or even '98. I thought we were a hobby all about technical innovation.....

I've run up Win 10 on everything here, as well as most of our laptops at work (dozens), and a heap for friends and family with the only problems being a couple of early driver issues - all well sorted now.

The only caveat is to ensure you turn off all the reporting back to Microsloth.

If you absolutely MUST still run an older OS, then why not run it in a virtual environment with something like Virtual Box? http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/serve ... index.html
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

"VK4WDM"in the morning I was greeted with a page that went something like "Welcome to Windows 10, click here to proceed"

That is what happened to me! I will give it a try for a few days and see what happens. I presume there is an easy way of reverting back to Win7?

Wayne VK4WDM"
I backed the win 7 up and installed Antix whilst upgrading the machine ram to 32 gig , then added win7 and win10 in virtual machines over Antix , both os suck to a degree but can be controlled , I shouldn't be surprised if win10 induces many more to use an alternative os , small trim light foot print , aint windows is it ?
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

The only caveat is to ensure you turn off all the reporting back to Microsloth.
How do you do that?

Wayne VK4WDM :om:
VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DUX »

I would have to agree that once windows 10 has the snoop/bloatware removed, link below, then it is a tad better than windows 7 on most fronts. Mind you, i readily confess to being an M$ hater.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to- ... tall-them/

I think the thing that most informed users seem to object to, is the constant serving up of stuff by M$ that they think we need to be altered to. Essentially in the M$ world, the user has now lost control of their cumputer's operating system. By uninstalling the snoop/bloatware using the link above, a user can recapture a bit of what they once had.

As for me, my only use for windows 10 is playing games and some ham programs. For business I use OSX and Linux for everything else.
john vk2dux
Last edited by VK2DUX on Fri May 20, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZL3OZ
Forum Novice

Post by ZL3OZ »

How do you do that?

Im afraid it was in the very small print, so as to not affect their desires, when you went ahead with the install Wayne. lower left of screen with something like "customise" as a small word link. In there are a host of things in tick boxes which by default are all ticked.
There may be a way to back out after the event, i dont know.

I continued with XP right through the W7 era due to having a stable platform for the things I wanted a computer for, and then late last year bought a new computer which had Win8 nightmare version on it. It came with a throw in HP 7" tablet (which should have been thrown out and not in)

As soon as the 10 upgrade was available I installed it and its much more friendly than 8... but the old Darth Vader statement of "Now I am the Master" certainly rings true with it.
I turn on the tablet to look something up.... it presents an orange screen which says "Wait... Win10 is updating, dont turn off the computer"
"But I want to use it" I shout at it. It ignores me and fools about with waiting symbols for about 25 minutes. Way past the need for it. I put it aside.
Doing emails on laptop I delete some spam.... It siezes up and then after a long wait says "checking with microsft to find a solution to the problem" it never does find the solution though, and it doesnt listen while I try to scold it and remind it didnt find it last time.

It finds things I am not looking for if I even breath on the mouse pad, pulls up apps I didnt want and when I do want to look something up it sulks and wont look.

I get round some of these issues by never turning them off and hopefully remembering to charge them.

Did I mention the dearth of I/O available on new machines........

Now microshite have had years to get these things sorted, even the basic "Start" bar has issues.
I am seriously moving out of the "interested in new tech" mindset and keen to go find a cup of coffee. Its all turning to shite.

Very :om:
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

ZL3OZ wrote:
How do you do that?

Im afraid it was in the very small print, so as to not affect their desires, when you went ahead with the install Wayne. lower left of screen with something like "customise" as a small word link. In there are a host of things in tick boxes which by default are all ticked.
There may be a way to back out after the event, i dont know.

I continued with XP right through the W7 era due to having a stable platform for the things I wanted a computer for, and then late last year bought a new computer which had Win8 nightmare version on it. It came with a throw in HP 7" tablet (which should have been thrown out and not in)

As soon as the 10 upgrade was available I installed it and its much more friendly than 8... but the old Darth Vader statement of "Now I am the Master" certainly rings true with it.
I turn on the tablet to look something up.... it presents an orange screen which says "Wait... Win10 is updating, dont turn off the computer"
"But I want to use it" I shout at it. It ignores me and fools about with waiting symbols for about 25 minutes. Way past the need for it. I put it aside.
Doing emails on laptop I delete some spam.... It siezes up and then after a long wait says "checking with microsft to find a solution to the problem" it never does find the solution though, and it doesnt listen while I try to scold it and remind it didnt find it last time.

It finds things I am not looking for if I even breath on the mouse pad, pulls up apps I didnt want and when I do want to look something up it sulks and wont look.

I get round some of these issues by never turning them off and hopefully remembering to charge them.

Did I mention the dearth of I/O available on new machines........

Now microshite have had years to get these things sorted, even the basic "Start" bar has issues.
I am seriously moving out of the "interested in new tech" mindset and keen to go find a cup of coffee. Its all turning to shite.

Very :om:
Get yourself an RTL-SDR dongle for the tablet. Most Windoze tablets are crap, but they make excellent portable SDR's with Win10.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
ZL3OZ
Forum Novice

Post by ZL3OZ »

thank you Alan. Bout time I had a fool around with SDR.

Ken
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

for those who like me don't feel comfortable with the gui in win10 some light fixes

google classic menu for win10 and also godmode

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/enab ... windows-10
https://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/
and follow the other links to turn off the miscrorubbish controls , quite a few of them and suddenly it seems win7 like ?
VK6DVR
Forum Novice

Post by VK6DVR »

Be patient, you may initially be disappointed with Win-10's performance.

For the first few days of intensive use, let Win-10 find things you were using before and allow it to populate the accelerator areas in the registry, so that with ultimate use you'll find things should speed up a huge amount.

Tip 'n Tricks:
* Turn off and disable UAC (User Account Control) to the lowest level.
* Kill or Disable 'Windows Defender' as I've found too many false-positives with that and run only with 'Malwarebytes AntiMalware'.
* Keep your machine clean with CCleaner.
* Run with 'Process Lasso Pro' to manage your processes priorities.

If you really want to, you can revert back to Win-7, but why?
Danny Robinson, VK6DVR
VK2XTC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XTC »

We think we have problems.

Country Cousins are on NBN satellite solution which is limited to 20GB per month. (you cannot buy a bigger package, seriously)

The Win 10 upgrade kicks in, uses up the last of the months allowance, drops back to some ridiculously low speed, and limps along for another 2 weeks until the month end when it kicks back in.
During which you cannot use the laptop as it's halfway through the upgrade.

Having said that I live in the city, I have a Laptop running Win 10 and it works fine. WSJT-X , FLDIGI etc , no problem.
Just don't turn it off and always say yes to the updates. works fine, and gets faster with use.

Brian
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

actually country cousins who do not have adsl exchanges or who are too far from a adsl excahnge usually only have telstra wireless at a very low speed and around 2Gbytes for a very high cost - with those figures xbox or windows 10 simply cannot do their upgrades - xbox can run up to 40Gbyte and w10 can run well over 2Gbytes in an update session Shame we do not all have the internet connection that Bill Gates has.
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

for those who do not want the win 10 update, do not despair, some time in July the update for free will expire and then you would need to PAY for an update to Win 10... so why worry be happy, if you wait long enough, you will have to pay for it.
:mrgreen: