2016 Winter VHF/UHF Field Day

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: 2016 Winter VHF/UHF Field Day

Post by VK3ALB »

Just in case my previous comment was taken the wrong way (I inadvertently left Adam's advice to use CR in my reply), I think the VKlogger tools are invaluable. This is not a battle between CR and VKlogger, I think they both have their place. It's just a shame more people don't manage their information and keep it up to date. It's not that hard to do.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

Undaunted by the forecast rain, we went ahead and setup our 24 hour station as VK3KQ/p at McLaughlan Lookout (835m ASL), in the Wombat state Forest near the township of Blackwood.

Friday's intermittent drizzle, constant fog and the muddy ground made the setup of the masts and antennas a bit more of a chore than it usually is, yet we still managed to get everything up, running and on-the-air by early evening.

We ran a 1200W heater from a dedicated 2KVA generator and it kept the operating area of the tent at a very comfortable 21 degrees, even when the outside temperature got down to around 4 degrees. In fact, we ran it on "low" for most of the night, just to keep us all very cosy during our slumber! :thumbup:

An unexpected treat for us was a visit on Saturday evening by Lou VK3ALB and Jenni VK3FJEN who drove all the way from Drysdale - a 218km round trip - to cook us up a magnificent and mouth watering steak dinner - with all the trimmings you'd expect from this 5-star pair. We were dumbfounded, flabbergasted and incredibly delighted - all at once. Bravo Lou and Jenni! We have never eaten so well and enjoyed such great company. I know this is not the first time you have gone to such extraordinary efforts to enhance the enjoyment of others, so thank you again. I am pretty sure it's the GARC way of doing things. :clap:

Portable activity was down a little this year, compared to last Winter, no doubt a result of the rain patterns and cold weather that dominate the southern states at this time of year. I felt that perhaps the number of home stations was slightly up on last year, possibly for the same reasons. We worked into VK1,2,3 and 7 with the most challenging contacts to with Rob VK1KW and Matt VK3PP, both at home and both on 70cm - thanks for your patience guys. And a personal favourite contact was with Jim VK3ZKK from home on a handheld, the first time he has ever handed out a contest number in this life! Thanks Jim.

Our three-operator station comprised:
Ralph: 6m/70cm - TS2000 100W into a 3 el beam at 4m height (6m) and 300W into an 18el horizontal yagi /8el vertical yagi with masthead preamp at 6m height (70cm)
Jack: 2m - TS2000 250W into a 15el horizontal yagi /8el vertical yagi with masthead preamp at 9m height
Damian: TS2000 with 100W on 23cm /13cm into a 1.8m dish at 3m height, plus 5w into a 60cm dish for 3/5/10GHz at 4m height

We had some technical challenges - one rotator motor broke its brake (if that makes sense) and we had an issue getting our 10MHz reference signal to the 5GHz transverter. It might have been sticking relays due to the cold - not the first time we've seen that. No doubt Damian will post some photos soon. :o

Thanks to everyone we worked for making our weekend a success.

Cheers,
Ralph VK3LL
VK3KQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KQ »

some photos for your enjoyment :lol:
Attachments
Lou Presents an award for being of excellent character even without a beard
Lou Presents an award for being of excellent character even without a beard
20160618_100050.jpg
Damian VK3KQ
0439 399215
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

The FJEN and LostBoy are the catering kings - especially on Sunday mornings... :-)
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Did not hear zip 144 432/50

I would have lit a nice log fire

:thumbdown:
Tread your own path :om:
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Has anyone heard or seen the results of the 2016 Winter FD yet?

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Hi Peter,

Results submitted for September AR magazine.

Summary and full table will be posted to website shortly.
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

A results Summary table and the full table of results have been posted to the web page.

Dates for the Spring 2016 event have been posted under Upcoming Contest.

Future VHF-UHF Field Day Dates: A paper setting out an algorithm for determining future field day dates is available for download. It includes a table for Field Day dates for 2017 to 2021.

Go to: http://www.wia.org.au/members/contests/vhfuhf/

Posted in the interests of informing "the market". :)
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2ZRH wrote:
Future VHF-UHF Field Day Dates: A paper setting out an algorithm for determining future field day dates is available for download. It includes a table for Field Day dates for 2017 to 2021.
Thanks Roger, an excellent summary with an easy to understand method of determining future events. My ham radio dance card is now filled until the peak of cycle 25 where I will feel young but my body will tell me otherwise.

For those that like spotting trains, counting cars, collecting matchstick or crunching numbers here's a little thing I threw together. E&OE
FD winter 2016.png
Lou - VK3ALB

VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Thanks for your comments, Lou. Much appreciated.

Regarding the Division 1 vs Division 2 "split" and the "station participation" figures, this is what I've said in the article for AR mag:
The Division 1 versus Division 2 split of logs was a bit of surprise; 86.8% of all logs were submitted for Division 1, while 55.3% of all logs were submitted for Division 2. A healthy 19 stations submitted logs for both divisions (having an each-way bet!). Of the 126 total stations participating, 19 stations did not submit logs, despite having made at least 10 contacts, Mike VK3AVV reports. It would have been really good to receive some logs from the 88 stations that participated, but didn’t upload logs. Looking back over the years, it was ever thus. Sigh.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2ZRH wrote:Thanks for your comments, Lou. Much appreciated.

Regarding the Division 1 vs Division 2 "split" and the "station participation" figures, this is what I've said in the article for AR mag:
The Division 1 versus Division 2 split of logs was a bit of surprise; 86.8% of all logs were submitted for Division 1, while 55.3% of all logs were submitted for Division 2. A healthy 19 stations submitted logs for both divisions (having an each-way bet!). Of the 126 total stations participating, 19 stations did not submit logs, despite having made at least 10 contacts, Mike VK3AVV reports. It would have been really good to receive some logs from the 88 stations that participated, but didn’t upload logs. Looking back over the years, it was ever thus. Sigh.
Hi Roger, I would suggest that it is not healthy to have four people managing one contest. :wink:

Edit: I've used a wink emoticon because I can't find that pesky "can of worms" emoticon.
Lou - VK3ALB