2016 Winter VHF/UHF Field Day

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK2XTC
Frequent Poster

Re: 2016 Winter VHF/UHF Field Day

Post by VK2XTC »

I had been working on my mobile yagi mount (for my Bunnings Special) over the last couple of weekends , interrupted by 400mmm of rain.
Mobile Yagi Mount
Mobile Yagi Mount
It seems it may be all in vain as another East Coast low is due to spin up on Sunday with a further 150mm forecast.
So as a fall back I'll use the home station and try some data contacts.

I'd like to ask a newby question , what is the structure of a valid contact using JT65, as the rules state callsign plus square locator, " plus two further digits that cannot be predicted the the other station "
I'm not clear the structure of a valid contact in that mode.

Thanks

Brian

VK2XTC
VK3KGR
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KGR »

I will be operating from my normal spot at Clear Mountain on Saturday afternoon provided the weather is Ok

6m, 2m, 432,1296 and 10 GHz.

Geoff VK4KJJ
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Not looking too good for being /P in SE VK4 on Sunday. Other east coast sites probably no better. :thumbdown:
WX Winter FD 20160618.JPG
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK3AP
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AP »

VK2XTC wrote:I had been working on my mobile yagi mount (for my Bunnings Special) over the last couple of weekends , interrupted by 400mmm of rain.

VK2XTC
That's a great idea Brian, I'll put that one in the memory bank.
Now at QF33FW.

Listening; 144.100, 432.100, 1296.100.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

I'll be trying a bit of roving without the caravan of courage weather permitting.

Don't forget to let everyone know your intentions via contest radar.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Lou,

I will operating from home this weekend, but I note that you are likely to be on Tower Road (QF21HV70), so there is a good chance that we can get through on the higher bands from that location.

I have 6 metres through to 24 Ghz setup ready to go.

Hope to work you sometime.

Peter VK3QI
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Peter,

Yes the outlook in your direction is very good indeed and (weather permitting) we'll be ready to go at zero hour from that location. We'll have 2m through 10GHz.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Lou (and others),

Are we agreed to all use 3398.150 instead of 3400.150 as the operating frequency for this weekend?

I am not sure whether any NBN cells have actually been implemented yet in the Melbourne and surrounding area.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Am planning to be out this afternoon on 2m SSB/CW/FM only from a good location near Frankston.

The plot from the site shows a good 270 degree coverage to most places from Geelong. Gippsland,
traditionally a weak area for me but essential for grid squares, should be workable.
Coverage
Coverage
Last edited by VK3YE on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK4CZ wrote:Not looking too good for being /P in SE VK4 on Sunday. Other east coast sites probably no better. :thumbdown:
WX Winter FD 20160618.JPG

Wednesday sky blue

Thursday CAT Angel Flight to Bairnsdale cancelled

Friday even crapier Fog at YHML 20C at Bairnsdale could not depart

Jane Bunn says Pacific Low gunna drop 150mm again all way down to Bass Strait.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/4day_col.shtml

Good luck guys staying home here :popcorn: :popcorn:
Tread your own path :om:
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Best wishes to those hardy souls venturing forth on the Field Day this weekend.

Never mind the pessimists. :wink:

Weather in the west is to be fine and cool. 8)

Remember - it's about having fun in the great outdoors. :lol:

Don't drive through any floodwaters. :shock:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK3QI wrote:Lou (and others),

Are we agreed to all use 3398.150 instead of 3400.150 as the operating frequency for this weekend?

I am not sure whether any NBN cells have actually been implemented yet in the Melbourne and surrounding area.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
Hi Peter, yes we'll use 3398 this weekend
Lou - VK3ALB

VK2AZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AZ »

I don't see any rules around permitted liaison.

Can you use spotters, loggers or even repeaters to liaise with others?

Hilary
VK2IUW
--
Hilary - VK2AZ
Glenmore Park NSW
QF56IF31
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK2IUW wrote:I don't see any rules around permitted liaison.

Can you use spotters, loggers or even repeaters to liaise with others?
http://www.wia.org.au/members/contests/generalrules/
WIA-General-Rules.PNG
Despite that, there has been a demonstrated lack of interest (I don't dare use the 'a' word) in using VK Logger during VHF Field days over the years, and Contest Radar took over the role of proximity awareness anyway.
Apparently it was too hard to create/update a Logger profile to indicate where you would be and what bands you would be active on.
(The real value was being able to generate distance & TN bearing information, but so few embraced this.)

I would just use Contest Radar instead, and forget about VK Logger.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

The video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jOIEGuPa4E

Good activity locally from local home stations, but not many portables out. Apart from VK7JG no stations over 150km were heard.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

I didn't go portable yesterday due to a number of considerations, including the weather forecast here in SE Qld, but the outcome had I gone to the effort would have possibly driven me to give up participation in these events completely. I worked a total of 11 callsigns in 41 contacts over 8 hours from the relative comfort of the home QTH - a very disappointing participation level from my point of view. The 2 hour re-work period was the only saving grace.

Historically, I know that the Winter FD is activity always lower than the Spring or Summer events but this strikes me as just too low and whether to bother next year.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

I hear you Doug... I had started to plan an activation for this weekend a little over a month or so back (the required timeline to work in with the family diary), and it became very evident that activity levels in SE VK4 were going to be very poor when I looked at this thread (you did originally say you weren't operating), and then this was further reinforced through conversations with a couple of the 'regular' FD stations who also advised that they had prior commitments that had to take precedence. So I stopped planning.

From reports and the activity I've seen this morning, it looks like what was the reality.

But the good news is that for those in SE VK4 the upcoming 23-on-23 + MAD is just over 4 weeks away and you should start planning for it as there is already a number of stations that have advised they'll be active... and the more the merrier!
http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 495#p61495
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK3AP
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AP »

I didn't hear many Melbourne stations but gave a few numbers on 2 and 70 to 3KQ in Blackwood forest at 250km away. I'm too far for anyone on 1296 but had it running all weekend nonetheless.
Swung the beams to Canberra and made a few contacts, plus Wagga Wagga. Not a boo from Albury.
Now at QF33FW.

Listening; 144.100, 432.100, 1296.100.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

ADMIN wrote:
Despite that, there has been a demonstrated lack of interest (I don't dare use the 'a' word) in using VK Logger during VHF Field days over the years, and Contest Radar took over the role of proximity awareness anyway.
Apparently it was too hard to create/update a Logger profile to indicate where you would be and what bands you would be active on.
(The real value was being able to generate distance & TN bearing information, but so few embraced this.)
I have to agree with you Adam. We tried very hard to steer away from making CR (Contest Radar) a copy of VKlogger. Whilst we've had requests for higher resolution on the contest radar map the point of CR was always to be a really simple tool to see who is out there and roughly where they are - no more than that. CR was born of the fact that many ops do not keep their Op Info up to date in the logger so it was difficult to plan field day events. As you have already pointed out, Doug VK4ADC spent a lot of time trying to make an easy to use tool for the field day operators but it still relied on a small effort from each of us to keep our VKlogger OpInfo details up to date.

I would encourage people to maintain their logger OpInfo (it only takes a couple of minutes every year or perhaps every field day). In the end these things all help us to make contacts and to make us known to others with similar interests.

The other thing to remember is the VKlogger Mapping tool is a very powerful and sophisticated thing. You can find other operators (if their OpInfo is correct and up to date) you can evaluate field locations before you step away from the computer. CR is not a patch on the VKlogger Mapping tool and I would recommend the serious field operator should try to get to know how the tools of the VKlogger can be used to help their planning for field day events.

A great place to start is in the Help section of the VKlogger forum - Just click the Board Index link at the top of this page and look for Help - VKlogger.
Last edited by VK3ALB on Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

VK3ALB wrote:
ADMIN wrote:

I would just use Contest Radar instead, and forget about VK Logger.
I have to agree with you Adam. We tried very hard to steer away from making CR (Contest Radar) a copy of VKlogger. Whilst we've had requests for higher resolution on the contest radar map the point of CR was always to be a really simple tool to see who is out there and roughly where they are - no more than that. CR was born of the fact that many ops do not keep their Op Info up to date in the logger so it was difficult to plan field day events. As you have already pointed out, Doug VK4ADC spent a lot of time trying to make an easy to use tool for the field day operators but it still relied on a small effort from each of us to keep our VKlogger OpInfo
This weekend wasn't going to happen for me due to the weather and a pending exam for which I should be preparing for rather than trolling through the forum :-)

Personally I try and use theVKLogger mapping facility as much as possible while out and about. It gives me a good idea of headings which is oh so important at 10/24/47Ghz. Whilst I can see the benefit of Contest Radar, Lou is quite correct it's not a patch on the functionality provided by VKLogger (thank you Adam for the effort).

To counter the 'a' factor, I always encourage operators that are known to be participating to update their /P profile. In this time of the all pervasive things and devices, I not sure why there is resistance to do so. Portable Internet connectivity is easy and cheap these days.............
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA