SMPS, which would you recomend?

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

SMPS, which would you recomend?

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi,
well it looks like it is time for me to go to a switch mode PSU for general shack use. I have been running a CODAN 7113 linear supply 24hrs a day for over 10 years now I suspect my power company has made enough money out of me for excess use of the linear supply idling along.

Generally SM Power supplies or SMPS as lots like to call them have been avoided by me but the reality is they are not like they used to be.

I have a few HP server SMPS to use on projects that are only used occasionally but am looking for one that I can have on 24x7 and not even know its there.

I am looking for an RF quiet 13.8V DC supply in the 30Amp and above category, the only other stipulation is that if it has a fan that the noise from the fan is low as well. I recently bought an ICOM linear supply that has the fan from HELL, it cycles every 20 or so seconds and is quite loud, so I do not want to make the same mistake.

Have seen some very nasty reviews about the bigger MFJ SMPS (eham.net), with some people ready to put a bullet through them so it looks like MFJ still has quality issues..

If you have a nice switch mode supply would you recommend it to others? please share a quick description of it would be handy.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: SMPS, which would you recomend

Post by VK4TI »

I run a converted 2400 watt blade server supply for 48vdc , it was 51.75 but with some work was adjusted , not for the feint hearted , for 12vdc a generic supply from a seller who deals in car parts on ebay but had imported some good supplies as generics with excellent figures at a good price ( 60 amps 12v) , look at the figures as name means nothing here , Ialso run a 5000 va 48 volt analogue being a converted telstra exchange supply conversion with 100,000 Uf on the output :)
Do due diligence and then decide , good luck
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Peter,

I would recommend the Manson SPS-8400 SMPS or the SPS9400 if you prefer digital metering.

Personally I favour the analogue meter version as I like to watch the meters moving - it can give you some indication of what is happening, especially with SSB.

The fan noise is low.

The particular advantage that these SMPS have, is that they have excellent mains filtering built in, good metal shielded case and are particularly RF quiet.

If you want to examine the circuit diagram and test data you can find it at: http://www.semicom.lv/pdf/1921469_20131001143833.pdf

We use a number of these power supplies in portable setups and have had no issues at all.

The + and - terminals are both isolated from earth, so kit is easy to stack two power supplies if you ever need 30 volts @ 40 amps. Check out Radio Parts Group for prices.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3QI wrote:Peter,

I would recommend the Manson SPS-8400 SMPS or the SPS9400 if you prefer digital metering.

Personally I favour the analogue meter version as I like to watch the meters moving - it can give you some indication of what is happening, especially with SSB.

The fan noise is low.

The particular advantage that these SMPS have, is that they have excellent mains filtering built in, good metal shielded case and are particularly RF quiet.

If you want to examine the circuit diagram and test data you can find it at: http://www.semicom.lv/pdf/1921469_20131001143833.pdf

We use a number of these power supplies in portable setups and have had no issues at all.

The + and - terminals are both isolated from earth, so kit is easy to stack two power supplies if you ever need 30 volts @ 40 amps. Check out Radio Parts Group for prices.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
I will second this. I was fortunate enough to pick up a 9600 for $249.00 when RPG had them on special a few years back. Very quiet (RF and acoustic), very reliable, and excellent value for money.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3LU

Re: SMPS, which would you recomend?

Post by VK3LU »

Peter VK3QI,
I googled Manson power supplies to find an Oz distributor and had a look at the Radio Parts site.
They have an SPS8400 listed but the brand is DOSS. Is that the same as Manson?
I was considering a Daiwa SMPS.

Thanks
Nev
Last edited by VK3LU on Sun May 15, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

Myself and a few colleagues use the Manson SPA-8330, if you don't need the metered types.

Quiet fan, only comes on when needed and switches off fairly quickly.

I have two of them running things from LF to 3GHz and no noise detected.

http://www.manson.com.hk/products/detail/219
http://users.tpg.com.au/users/p8king/files/spa8330m.pdf
Damien VK3RX
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

One you can mount in enclosure with feed thrus on the input and output. Working professionally in EMI, all I can sat is shielding and filtering.
Allan
VK2EFM
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Me four for Manson brand and re-badged units like DOSS. I have a couple of 8400 DOSS brand supplies that have performed flawlessly for years. I don't like fans near the operating location and whilst the fans in these supplies do run continuously they do so at low speed - audible but not objectionable.

I note those with analog meters generally sell for a lower price than those with digital meters.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Thanks Lou,
Manson/Doss looks like the go.

73 Nev
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

I also vote for the Manson SPA-8330. Have been running one now for over 12 months. It powers my IC-7200, my IC-R75 and my FT-8800. No problems, very quite, and no RF noise! :-)
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK5PJ wrote:Hi,
well it looks like it is time for me to go to a switch mode PSU for general shack use. I have been running a CODAN 7113 linear supply 24hrs a day for over 10 years now I suspect my power company has made enough money out of me for excess use of the linear supply idling along.

Generally SM Power supplies or SMPS as lots like to call them have been avoided by me but the reality is they are not like they used to be.

I have a few HP server SMPS to use on projects that are only used occasionally but am looking for one that I can have on 24x7 and not even know its there.

I am looking for an RF quiet 13.8V DC supply in the 30Amp and above category, the only other stipulation is that if it has a fan that the noise from the fan is low as well. I recently bought an ICOM linear supply that has the fan from HELL, it cycles every 20 or so seconds and is quite loud, so I do not want to make the same mistake.

Have seen some very nasty reviews about the bigger MFJ SMPS (eham.net), with some people ready to put a bullet through them so it looks like MFJ still has quality issues..

If you have a nice switch mode supply would you recommend it to others? please share a quick description of it would be handy.

Regards,
G'day Pete,

Sounds like you've got an Icom PS-300 linear supply. Yep, I had the same complaints re acoustic noise with both of mine. I while a go I replaced my fans with Duratech 80mm Hydrodynamic Bearing fans from Jaycar - Cat No YX-2570 and I've barely heard them since. They're a straight bolt-in and I think they were only about $19 or so each. You'll spend more time removing & installing the trillion chassis cover screws than what you will swapping out the fan module itself.

I've always been a fan of linear supplies - despite their weight, they're RF quiet. I've had a few SMPS's in the past with much frustration re switching noise. But obviously some of the latest crop of SMPS's appear to be ok as noted by Lou and others.

As a side note, if you can find yourself a Unilab rack-mount power supply, they're a very nice thing too - especially for repeater jobs.

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Thanks Damien
VK3RX wrote:Myself and a few colleagues use the Manson SPA-8330, if you don't need the metered types.
have been looking at this as a possible choice so will give this one a try rather than a single huge one :D as I want to hide it away so no meters needed.
Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK6XLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6XLR »

VK5PJ wrote:Thanks Damien
VK3RX wrote:Myself and a few colleagues use the Manson SPA-8330, if you don't need the metered types.
have been looking at this as a possible choice so will give this one a try rather than a single huge one :D as I want to hide it away so no meters needed.
Regards,
I also run several of them. No noise detected either. Great units.
Rick Kowalewski
-- Perth, WA, 6530 -- OF77xw --
VK6RK
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello Nik
VK3BA wrote:G'day Pete,

Sounds like you've got an Icom PS-300 linear supply. Yep, I had the same complaints re acoustic noise with both of mine. I while a go I replaced my fans with Duratech 80mm Hydrodynamic Bearing fans from Jaycar - Cat No YX-2570 and I've barely heard them since. They're a straight bolt-in and I think they were only about $19 or so each. You'll spend more time removing & installing the trillion chassis cover screws than what you will swapping out the fan module itself.

I've always been a fan of linear supplies - despite their weight, they're RF quiet. I've had a few SMPS's in the past with much frustration re switching noise. But obviously some of the latest crop of SMPS's appear to be ok as noted by Lou and others.
As a side note, if you can find yourself a Unilab rack-mount power supply, they're a very nice thing too - especially for repeater jobs.
Cheers,
Yes that is indeed the PSU I am having a love hate relationship with, so on Thursday bought the recommended fan from Jaycar and installed it today (Sunday) now I can truly say, fan what fan? it makes the most amazing change to the PSU, far quieter that I could have ever hoped for. I did use their rubber mounts for the fan to be doubly sure.

BUT have still bought a MANSON so will see how quiet that is in the shack.

Regards,
Peter.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

MEANWELL

Ran one in an NEC 20KW tx driving a 500 watt PA for a year.
Boss laughed said that's a toy wont last.
Well it did.
1KW supply they aren't cheap about 30c per watt.
Also run a smaller one in the VK3RMV-1 digi which also was on the RMV 75 w cw beacon.
Small but work.
They are internal so the 240vac connection is an issue wrt safety but can be solved.

failing that the MFJ 70 amps mode ran my TEP 50 300 watt amp at 60 amps and 16 volst no failures.
and foldback works.

SOme supplies make noise.
I blamed a Kogan bogan for my noise this weekend which turne dout to be this new sliced bread Rassberry Pie in plastic box white noise all over 30and 40m

Must be a good reason to run such a device just cant think of why. Not if it wipes out you bands.

Experiment on guys there will be an answer out there :om:
Tread your own path :om:
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

thanks to all who have contributed to the thread, have just connected up the just arrived Manson SPA-8330 and the world did not end, no earth quakes and 4 horseman of the apocalypse have not been sited, there were no fans and I have three rigs running from it at present, one is transmitting WSPR on 432 as I write this and still no FAN noise. Checked each of the HF bands for noise floor and sprogs and so far it is all :D Oh I can feel the serenity. :beer:

Regards
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
- Winston Churchill