40 meter rotatable dipole questions

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2AVR

Re: 40 meter rotatable dipole questions

Post by VK2AVR »

VK4WDM wrote:The other antenna worth a mention is a magnetic loop. I am making one to try out as a receiving antenna but the reports of its directivity vary.
My experience is they work pretty well as receiving loops but very hard to make it efficient enough to compare even to a low dipole.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

"VK4WDM"]The other antenna worth a mention is a magnetic loop. I am making one to try out as a receiving antenna but the reports of its directivity vary"

"VK2AVR"My experience is they work pretty well as receiving loops but very hard to make it efficient enough to compare even to a low dipole.""

the point of a mag loop is the energy that is transmitted is done in the right places , not everyone can get a 40m dipole at 100 ft into their yard but a mag loop of 2m diameter will work well and easily compete on the band with excellent reports , the perceived efficiency has little to do with how a good loop will work
i
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

My main motivation for this antenna is to improve my Dx score on 40 meters. I have a "cloud warmer" dipole at about 10 meters above the ground for local contacts and have managed to work a few DX stations with it. The dipole at 10 meters will stay where it is. I will give a vertically polarised delta loop a go basically firing east-west and see if that is an improvement towards North america - South America. If that works well enough I will then see if I can locate another one firing roughly north - south. I have the space, but have large trees and a large shed in the yard that I need to consider when locating antennas. I thank all who have taken the trouble to respond to this thread, your input is appreciated, but I think I now have a plan of attack to follow..... more modelling required once suitable sky hooks are identified in the yard to hang the delta loop from...
73 Mike