H.F Interference, how to contact the ACMA

Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

H.F Interference, how to contact the ACMA

Post by VK2AOH »

As of late have noticed a steadily increasing level of interference to the lower H.F bands, 30/40/80M. After having done the usual tracking down and monitoring would like to contact the ACMA.

Have logged a lot of details on the interference, probably noisy power transformers or insulators.

Querying whether anyone as of late has approached the ACMA for a investigation to be carried out and what is the best department to contact and how.

The ACMA website does not really give any clear guidelines on how to do this.

Thanks for any tips.
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Re: H.F Interference, how to contact the ACMA

Post by VK2EFM »

Hi,

The other approach might be to narrow the issue down to a power pole (if it is an insulator arcing) and give the power authority a call.

Allan
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2EFM wrote:Hi,

The other approach might be to narrow the issue down to a power pole (if it is an insulator arcing) and give the power authority a call.

Allan
I followed this path. Luckily for me the interference was affecting TV broadcasts every night as soon as the dew started to fall. Once the power company agreed that their pole "might" be the cause of the interference it took 4 months for them to get a crew out to refurbish the pole.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

I am pretty sure there is a report interference form on the ACMA www site.

Yep, its form R066, linked to this page:
http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/ACMAi/Co ... terference
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

Thanks Compton, that's just the thing I was after. Have a number of audio recordings and panadapter screen captures along with other logging so hopefully something will be done one way or another.

Pretty sure is a power transformer but unfortunately power companies these days will not do anything unless there is an official investigation.

Cheers
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Hi,

One "trick" that you can do is complain to the power company that you suspect the line voltage is higher than 240 volts, because you are "popping" many lights and appliances in the house. And mention that neighbours have thought the same.

Nothing gets power companies out quicker to check transformers than a complaint about over voltage, as if proven, it can lead to very expensive claims on the power company.

Whilst they check the voltages and the 3 phase load balance, you can mention the interference as well, including any observable arcing at night and dewy conditions.

Has worked well in the past in VK3!

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3MAT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3MAT »

Hi all

I am currently in the process of trying to get my power line interference fixed. i spoke to the power provide who palmed me off to the acma after a detailed submission to the acma they sent a very generic report back to say to contact the power provider. I though i might be doing the big circle run around however, when i rang the power provider for the second time i was fortunate enough to speak to someone who took it as the acma said its our problem. i was told they will look into it and will contact me in a few days. hopefully i should hear by Wednesday and ill see how i go.

all the best with your interference

Matt
Matt, VK3MAT QF02xf
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

Thanks Matt and your response is why I came here first before firing off a complaint. Have heard of the "its not our problem" circus before.

It is quite apparent that unless there is inteference to TV/broadcast or some commercial identity no one could care less.

Yet we pay license fees for the privilege of listening to interference.

If you would not mind, perhaps let us know here how you went in the end. Whether something was actually done.

Will be of use to others as from reading posts here there are others in the same boat regarding interference.

Nick
VK3MAT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3MAT »

No worries nick

I have a few more days to wait otherwise I'll be calling them back. Problem is now it's wet the interference will hide itself so hopefully they will contact me and we can sort it out.

Will let you know how I go.

Matt
Matt, VK3MAT QF02xf
VK3MAT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3MAT »

Hi all

Bit of an update

Power core contacted me during the middle of the week to tell me they have passed my case on to there contractor company that deals with the interference inspections. Yesterday the contractor company called me to schedule a date (dependent on weather) to do a site visit and inspect the interference.

so hopefully they will come here and write a report in my favor then ill be one step closer. :beer:

Matt
Matt, VK3MAT QF02xf
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

Thanks Matt, hope it goes well with you.
VK3MAT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3MAT »

inspector has been and gone and i will report back when i hear of the outcome

Matt
Matt, VK3MAT QF02xf
VK2AOH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AOH »

Thanks Matt for the update on this.
VK3MAT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3MAT »

Hi all

Update

The power company sent its workers out and has removed a piece of loose wire hanging from the power lines and this appears to have dropped my noise dramatically. (still a few crackles here and there but at least its usable

things to look for are loos bits of wire hanging form the power lines as these are notorious apparently. make sure you keep the ball in there court (a great friend told me this)and always ask then when you expect a reply by if they dont call you back give them a call and keep at it. persistence has payed off im not 100% there but getting closer

if the interference is affecting commercial services you will have the best chance.

Matt
Matt, VK3MAT QF02xf
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

Sounds like a Win for the Good Guys.

Keep us updated if the problem returns.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.