Standards for DC Connectors

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
ZL1SWW
Forum Novice

Standards for DC Connectors

Post by ZL1SWW »

Hi All,
I write a column for our NZ Magazine Break-In (VHF Scene) and always looking and thinking of material to print.
Now one of the things us contesters do is sometimes swap / lend equipment to another station which lends the questions like how are they going to power it? What Connectors are they using? What polarity schemes are in use?

Now a small group of us in Auckland had more or less standardised on using the smaller Anderson Powerpole (PP) connectors for say up to 20 A, bigger ones are in use such as the SB50 and are polarity marked. The question arises for the little square ones that most people use. Now also another issue arises. What happens if you have 24 V equipment. What standard for that?

For 12 V I have stacked side by side but careful note has to be taken of the orientation of the connector and where the metal tabs lie. For 24 V I have stacked one on top of the other so that voltages can't be confused in the heat of the moment.

I would be interested in what people have used and how they have oriented the plugs position wise.

I would like to see if I can broach a standard in ZL at least for how these are configured or at least sparks some awareness of interoperability with other people's kit.

I see the American RACES standard is the same as I have configured but interested in other people's views. There is of course the Tee connector that I quite often use.

Pics attached.

Cheers,

Simon
ZL1SWW
Attachments
Type A - 12 V Config
Type A - 12 V Config
Type B High Current Version - 12 V Config
Type B High Current Version - 12 V Config
USA RACES Format - Same as Type A for clarity.
USA RACES Format - Same as Type A for clarity.
RACES 30A Standard Anderson Powerpole Connector.png (28.12 KiB) Viewed 2292 times
Type C - 12 V standard Tee connector as used on many mobile rigs.
Type C - 12 V standard Tee connector as used on many mobile rigs.
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Re: Standards for DC Connectors

Post by VK5TX »

That is the order recommend by Anderson. For 24v just use a different colour like blue instead of red

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
ZL1SWW
Forum Novice

Post by ZL1SWW »

Hi,

I forgot to attach what I have done for 24 V so in the dark or some other issue, there is no way to mix up 12 & 24 V accidentally.

Cheers,
Simon
ZL1SWW
Attachments
This is how I did 24 V. Can't then mix 12 & 24 V.
This is how I did 24 V. Can't then mix 12 & 24 V.
VK3APW
Forum Novice

Post by VK3APW »

Hi Simon,
across the pond, most of us use the config for 12V you described. Personally, for 24V, I use an Anderson long and short spacers, to make the 24V connectors 3 wide, so as there can be no confusion, in low light, etc. The parts numbers are Model: 1399G2, and 1399G6.... they are fairly reasonably priced... I got mine from Anderson Power Connections in Melbourne, others must stock them.... at under $3 the pair, cheaper than a smoked radio :-)

cheers

Peter vk3apw
ZL1SWW
Forum Novice

Post by ZL1SWW »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of the spacer module but will look into it.

BTW, also got this posting on my email FYI.

Cheers & thanks,

Simon
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2BKC »

Hi Simon,

I just checked mine, and it turns out I use the same stacking configuration, but both my 12V and 24V ones are reverse polarity to your standard }:[ . Murphy's Law in action.
So, we are not allowed to operate at the same field-day site - we can only compete against each other :lol:
ZL2BKC 12V Standard
ZL2BKC 12V Standard
ZL2BKC 24V Standard
ZL2BKC 24V Standard
It would be easy for me to change the 24V polarity, but my 12V one is locked by the 2 breakout boards that I have made.

Maybe others can share their configuration.

Wayne ZL2BKC
VK3TU

Post by VK3TU »

ZL1SWW wrote:...or at least sparks some awareness of interoperability with other people's kit...
Probably not the right choice of words!

The question here isn't so much about connector standards as it is about supply voltage standards.
You could standardise on using only 12V or only 24V equipment but like you say, that isn't always practical.
Andersons work well because, configured as recommended by Anderson, they provide a truly "genderless" connection. That's one of the benefits of the modular power-pole connectors along with their compact design and excellent current handling capacity. For me, it's that genderless bit that makes them so useful. All my radios have short power leads and I just carry a bunch of Anderson extension leads with in-line fuses in them. It doesn't matter which end you pick up first, it will always work.
I do a fair bit of work with electric golf buggies and most of these use Anderson power-pole connectors on the battery and buggy. I built an Anderson connector pair in the recommended configuration with a white LED that will happily run off 12 or 24V. It serves as a polarity check as well as making enough light for me to see the connectors. Best of all, you can stick with the genderless configuration on everything.
Take care though, because some manufacturers still manage to stuff things up. Most notably, golf cart makers who insist on reversing the red and black terminals on the 20/35A connectors. The vast majority of these have the red/black terminals reversed. The later models with Lion batteries use the same configuration with a 16V battery. At least they've all stuck with red/black for 12V, blue/black for 16V and yellow/black for 24V so far!
That's the good thing about standards, there's just so many to choose from.