The future for amateur radio in VK

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Re: The future for amateur radio in VK

Post by VK3HJ »

I studied the ITU regulations regarding pX and pY and it comes down to a given average power for the different modes.

CW has a roughly similar duty cycle to SSB, 25-40% or so. FM and most digital modes have a duty cycle of 100%.

My argument is that the CW key-down power limit should be the same as the SSB PEP limit. In NZ, they just went ahead and simplified it to 1000 watts PEP.

The WIA is to be commended for their submission to the ACMA.

Let's hope it receives due consideration.
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

This is a PDF I found that puts the power/mode into perspective

Rex
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

My thinking with a hard carrier down (lets say 1000 watts on the bird) is basically the same as a (very firm) whistle into the microphone. Both are 1000 watts PEP.
If SSB or voice, in general that is, is pushed harder it will exceed the 1000 watt PEP but not by much.
It amazes me why over in VK you have a 3 ties licencing. All it does is complicate matters. Over here is ZL we have a one tier, and have had for a number of years - with no problem.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

ZL1TPH wrote:My thinking with a hard carrier down (lets say 1000 watts on the bird) is basically the same as a (very firm) whistle into the microphone. Both are 1000 watts PEP.
If SSB or voice, in general that is, is pushed harder it will exceed the 1000 watt PEP but not by much.
It amazes me why over in VK you have a 3 ties licencing. All it does is complicate matters. Over here is ZL we have a one tier, and have had for a number of years - with no problem.
Where do you set the entry point?

Advanced theory
Standard theory
Foundation theory
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

ZL1TPH wrote:My thinking with a hard carrier down (lets say 1000 watts on the bird) is basically the same as a (very firm) whistle into the microphone. Both are 1000 watts PEP.

I reckon we could do a lot worse than adopting the ZL model.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Have a look at the ZL syllabus. http://www.nzart.org.nz/assets/exam/sg/sg-intro.html.

And I like this study guide!

Wayne VK4WDM
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

Budding ZL Hams use that study guide (or a later updated version there of) as a self training tool. Some sit the exam directly via a NZART Branch exam supervisor (http://www.nzart.org.nz/exam/supervisors/). Some others also take a weekend "Get your Amateur Radio Licence" style of training course run by one of several radio clubs around the country. That weekend crash course usually culminates in them sitting the exam on Sunday afternoon with a high proportion passing. The results are sent to NZART HQ on Monday morning, and the new Hams have their callsigns that afternoon or on Tuesday.

Examination fee $5 (to be retained by Branch to cover administrative costs) ... many Branches don't charge (ours doesn't).
Callsign and certificate allocation $95.00 ... Includes one year free membership to NZART worth $99!

No pack drill
No drama

Then, I suspect, the real learning starts when the new hams get on the air and start experimenting ... :J
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Then, I suspect, the real learning starts when the new hams get on the air and start experimenting
And they can do that with instant access to 1000w ! Maybe the VK exam system is an overkill (no pun intended).

Wayne VK4WDM
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

Yes Wayne, 1kW right off the bat! The reality is that few would make that sort of investment initially ... more likely buy or be given an FT/TS/IC-mumble 100W HF transceiver or a $49 'Chinese' VHF/UHF handheld. There is a short 'restricted operation' period to garner some practical and on-air experience ...
(3) Operation on amateur bands between 5 MHz and 25 MHz is not permitted unless a person has held a General Amateur Operators Certificate of Competency for three months and logged 50 contacts during this period. The person must keep the logbook record for at least one year and, during this period, produce it at the request of the chief executive.
I'm not sure how many times the 'chief executive' of the Ministry has requested to see one! :roll: :lol:

The path to an Amateur Radio Licence is via a responsible member of a local NZART Branch (exam supervisor), so there is a mentor/elmer not far away ... and it works both ways, one of the new Hams here is regularly on the local repeater helping others with radio related computer problems (IRLP, etc). He uses perfect radio procedure and is a helpful guy ... he is 11 years old. A couple of recently licenced Hams won the ZL February 'low bands' VHF contest ... keen as mustard, and good to see. :thumbup:

The recent ZL Amateur Radio Licencing time line:
Annual licence fee removed - 2003
One grade of licence with no Morse code requirement - 2004
Change to GURL status/system - 2006
Updated GURL conditions - 2013 https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2013- ... umber=4717

The GURL system has been in around for a decade ... there was a great wailing an gnashing of teeth with the first three changes, but the reality is that nothing significant happened. Has ZL Ham radio descended into anarchy? Not from where I sit.
:popcorn:
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

The 1 k/W was asked for via remit NZART conference 2010. He was given later with no problems. A couple of bands are limited like 925 MHz and we are currently limited slightly 50 to 51 MHz but that will change soon.
And over here we don't pay a yearly licence fee.
Its currently free for life.
I'm currently mentoring a new licensee and its actually rather rewarding to help someone out.
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

ZL1RS wrote:
Examination fee $5 (to be retained by Branch to cover administrative costs) ... many Branches don't charge (ours doesn't).
Callsign and certificate allocation $95.00 ... Includes one year free membership to NZART worth $99!

No pack drill
No drama

:J
If the NZART can manage this, why can't we?
The body(s) administering examinations & licencing here in VK need to take a bit of a look at themselves.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
ZL1TPH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL1TPH »

And If the person or new pending licensee does not pass the test there is no fee.
Or as Bob said only a $5 dollar cost.
A minimal amount so to speak, if none at all.
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

I hold a UK Amatuer Licence G3ZDR its FREE for life........

Paul VK3IH
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK4BZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BZ »

L & Gs,

the reason we have a multi-tier licence system was to:

(a) get people into the hobby with a basic level of technical knowledge - the Foundation Licence;

(b) let them develop their expertise and knowledge - the Standard Licence; and

(c) when having reached a higher knowledge and skill level, give them "free reign" to experiment - the Advanced Licence.

All this talk about ditching the multi-tier system seems to ignore the raison d'etre for the system.

If we were to rationalise it, I would suggest a two-level with the entry point Foundation remaining (okay...with a few extra watts!) and everyone else on one standard licence. We need the Foundation to continue because it actually works to get people into the hobby, and, unless you want to be the last ham standing at 96 (who would you be talking to anyway?) as the plug is pulled on Amateur Radio, then I suggest we recognise the need for the multi-tier system and just crack-on doing what we love best!

Oh, yeah...did I say we should bring back mandatory CW? Only kidding, folks...please...
John

"I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy."
Pontius Pilate - The Life of Brian
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

i tend to agree with vk4bz the foundation is needed for 1 main reason. i have come across some keen as mustard people who would love to get on the ham bands but suffer from dyslecexia and other learning diffilties these people dont do well on tests but you look at their cb setups with home brew antenna's and lots of other things they have a good handle n how things are done and how they work. i'm lookign forward to the revised rules and possibilty of one license. remember we are a small player in this game the easier it is for the govt the better for us
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I am very solidly behind the foundation license but I don't think we need three tiers. IMHO a foundation and a standard (or general) license) is all that we really need.

I absolutely agree that the cost is an issue. I am mentoring a couple of guys who are only fixed pensions and they have told me that the costs involved are too high for them.

There appears to be differing opinions among ZLs about their free license and I would like to hear more from them on the good and bad.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

One needs to put things into perspective. Yes, the licence fee cost is an issue but the equipment cost far out weighs this!
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

The ZL technical qualifications align reasonably well with the Australian Advanced qualification. We once had a single tier licensing system, then we made it two, then we made it three.

How would the three current classes be merged into one or two?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Yes, the license fee cost is an issue but the equipment cost far out weighs this!
The cost of equipment is also an issue but I have seen a number of "starter" rigs for sale in recent weeks for around $300. Some clubs also have a equipment that can be lent to new hams.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4BLP

Post by VK4BLP »

VK3IH wrote:The 1KW high power SSB trial completion included, if my memory serves me, a line from the ACMA saying that not many applied for the trial so it can't be of much interest........ :eh:

This was wrong, the trial was promoted as just that, a trial for a few to try, it cost more $ and the implication was that if it was accepted it would transfer to all Advanced Licence holders so I believe many (like me :) ) were holding off.
Should we ever get another high power trial, then I think we should ALL apply for it, and just show there is a demand for it.

Agreed, that trial was promoted just as a time limited trial, so most never bothered thinking that it would automatically filter down to all Advanced holders.