ARISS 1000th Contact

Discussion about orbiting satellite, and balloon launches
VK4KHZ

ARISS 1000th Contact

Post by VK4KHZ »

The link to the following Youtube clip was released by NASA today. It follows yesterday's successful 1000th ARISS scheduled amateur radio link-up with the crew of the ISS, and is really worth viewing.

It would be really great to get more Australian schools on board and interested in participating in the ARISS program.

Shane VK4KHZ

https://youtu.be/Z-yHD9lVbH8
VK4WDM

Re: ARISS 1000th Contact

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Shane

I guess this is something that radio clubs could promote with local schools. Is there a promotion package available?

Wayne VK4WDM (was that you who called me on AO-85 a few days ago?)
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Hi Wayne

We have an information sheet which we send out to schools who express any interest in the program and then follow up usually with either a visit to the school or a phone discussion. I have one local school who submitted an application only two weeks ago and it has already been approved but it would be nice to get a few more. Unfortunately some schools see the wait time of between 9-12 months before the contact can be scheduled as too long.

No it was not me who called you on AO85 - The last time I operated AO85 was when I was in Solomon Islands in December/January this year. During that time I only spoke with three VK4's from Solomon. I have been busy building my HAMTV station.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

We have a couple of school teachers in our club. I will a yarn to them and see if there is any interest. The station I heard on AO-85 was VK4K??.

Wayne VK4WDM