Suitability of an IC-706 on 2m WSPR

WSPR discussion
VK3LU

Suitability of an IC-706 on 2m WSPR

Post by VK3LU »

I have an IC706 doing nothing at the moment and I would like to use it on 2m WSPR. The only fly in the ointment as far as I can see is that the max ssb output on 2 is 10W but running at 5W for 2 minute periods may cause problems, to say the least. I don't want to let the smoke out!
Interestingly, the max AM output is 4W.
The IC7000 I am using at the moment runs fine, 5w out of 50w is a lesser proportion than 5 out of 10.
Has anyone used an IC706 on 2 WSPR and has there been any issues?.

Cheers
Nev
Last edited by VK3LU on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Suitability of an IC706 on 2m WSPR

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK3LU wrote:I have an IC706 doing nothing at the moment and I would like to use it on 2m WSPR. The only fly in the ointment as far as I can see is that the max ssb output on 2 is 10W but running at 5W for 2 minute periods may cause problems, to say the least. I don't want to let the smoke out!
Interestingly, the max AM output is 4W.
The IC7000 I am using at the moment runs fine, 5w out of 50w is a lesser proportion than 5 out of 10.
Has anyone used an IC706 on 2 WSPR an has there been any issues?.

Cheers
Nev
Power is fine
drifting maybe not.
Tread your own path :om:
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Re: Suitability of an IC-706 on 2m WSPR

Post by VK5ZLR »

The 706 is a little bit drifty.

Generally they are miles out from the factory, but I've found that once actually set on freq they stay there pretty well.
Suspect the ocsculator takes a couple of years to really settle.
Maybe install the Hi Stab option?

Not exacly sure what the wspr requirments are but. A bit fancy for me all this computery stuff.......
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

I agree with Steve, but they are easy enough to GPS lock but a small muffin fan helps to keep the drift down a bit.Suck it and see
David
VK3AUU
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Thanks all.
I believe in the KISS principle. I don't think I will bother with GPS locking as it sounds complex and expensive.
But I will try a small fan mounted on the fins at the back as AD5X did.. If it is still drifty then back on the shelf.

Cheers
Nev
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

Hi Nev,

If it's a bit drifty on tx you can still rx WSPR with no problems, don't rule that out.

If the radio is off freq a little it might take a bit to work out what your dial freq should be, but it'll be worth it.

Give it a try. You, like many, could get hooked :)
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

VK1JA
I am running WSPR on my IC7000 at the moment on HF and VHF and enjoying it. It really is amazing how far you can work with so little power.
I am hooked!

Cheers
Nev