VK3UM Silent Key

A place to remember those who have become a Silent Key (SK)
VK3HY
Frequent Poster

VK3UM Silent Key

Post by VK3HY »

Very sad to report that Doug McArthur, VK3UM passed away on 22nd February, 2016.

Gavin VK3HY
VK3OE
Frequent Poster

Re: VK3UM Silent Key

Post by VK3OE »

Doug will be greatly missed, a sad loss for all.

Thanks for letting us know Gavin.
Andrew
VK3OE/VK3OER
Science = hypothesis >> measurement >> Theory
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Wow, what a shock. We always had a nice chat at Gippstech.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5KK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5KK »

Very sad news.

Doug will be remembered for many things great on VHF and above. From his days on 6, 2 & 1 metres in the 1960's as VK5KK in Adelaide, to Darwin in the mid 1970's as VK8KK right through to his activities in the last few weeks. And for Doug for allowing me to pick up his old VK5KK callsign in 1975

RIP Doug

David VK5KK, Keith VK5AKM (ex VK5ZMK)
Last edited by VK5KK on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Thanks Gavin.

Quite a shock, and very sad news indeed. He will be sorely missed, not only in VK, but around the world.
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi all

Met Doug on a number of occasions at Gippstech and of course saw many of his presentations.
Clearly Australia's and a world EME expert with a self-deprecating sense of humour
but one of the smartest guys around!

Gippstech won't be the same.....

Vale VK3UM

Tim VK5ZT
VK3AXH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AXH »

This certainly is a tragic loss and shock to the amateur fraternity. Having worked at the same establishment for a few years with Doug I always looked forward to catching up at Gippstech and as already mentioned will be a great loss to all that knew him and his work in the EME field.

Vale Doug VK3UM

de VK3AXH
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Such sad news about Doug
A huge loss to our community

All his trademark bad jokes before his presentations will be sadly missed

Vale Doug
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK3AFW
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AFW »

Hi All,

Sad news.
Doug has been a constant in my VHF life for many years. A few snippets follow. I remember inspiring reports on his VHF dx work in AR in the 1960's. His seminal calculators are a prized part of my tool kit even though I'm not an EME operator. The EM Hazard Calculator is a must for all operators. Along with Gordon VK3EJ he trail blazed the AE mode. A thrilling demo of his 70 cm EME station with 50 w being copiable on cw at Tikaluna. "War stories", the validity of JT65 and jokes over a glass at the Gippstech dinner. More than most he has been there, done that.

Doug's departure leaves a huge hole in our VHF community and I too shall miss him.

Commiserations to Bev and the family.

Ron
VK3AFW
GM3SEK

Post by GM3SEK »

VK3HY wrote:Very sad to report that Doug McArthur, VK3UM passed away on 22nd February, 2016.

Gavin VK3HY
Oh no - what a terrible shock! Doug was a good mate and we met several times at EME conferences over the past 30 years.

Deepest condolences to Bev and the family.

Ian GM3SEK and Nadine MM0WNW
GM4JJJ

Post by GM4JJJ »

I am in shock, Doug was one of those guys who you always expected to be around. I had the pleasure meeting him in Prague and Cambridge EME conferences. His EME software was always the standard to measure against. Very inspirational in every way.

My sincere condolences to Bev.

RIP Doug.

David GM4JJJ & Pat Anderson
4Z5CP
Forum Novice

Post by 4Z5CP »

I got a shock today morning, we have e-mails exchange week ago.
My sincere condolences to the family.
Rest in Peace friend.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I had just finished using his EMR program when I saw the news. Very big loss to the world wide AR community. It would be fitting for the Wireless Institute of Australia to raise a perpetual award in his memory. Condolences to family and friends.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK5ZBR
Forum Novice

Post by VK5ZBR »

I was a shock yesterday to hear Doug's is SK. it was a real downer.
I didn't believe it at first and frantically looks around on the net trying to confirm the news. It was Johns VK5DJ web site that confirmed it to me.

I looked forward to talking to Doug each year at Gippstech at the dinner and I only talked to him in January re Dubus subscription. I was the pesky person always wanting a receipt.

I found Doug's jokes always one of the most memorable things each year, and ofcause his Parabolic port sessions.

RIP Doug you will be missed, and thanks for all the knowledge you passed down at Gipptech.

Our condolences to Doug's Family, and his close friends for your loss.
Regards Adrian Vk5ZBR and Mike VK5AGI.
73's adrian
VK2FLR

Post by VK2FLR »

Very sad news about Doug. He was the life of the party at the Prague and Cambridge EME conferences and always at Gippstech. I have been working towards 23cm EME and had hoped to make an early (CW of course) contact with 3UM. Too late now. Peter Freeman, we need to have VK3UM Port available at the next Gippstech!
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

the note I put in the emdrc club newsletter that was sent out last night

Silent Key - VK3UM - Doug McArthur

Friend of the EMDRC and well respected EME/Microwave proponent Doug McArthur passed away Monday evening 22nd February after suffering a stroke. Doug gave a number of talks to the club over the years on the ACMA High Power trials and EMR, his EME and EMR Software and Microwave EME among other topics and was a friend of many. Doug was an active EME microwave band operator with an impressive station. Doug's website is http://www.vk3um.com/ Vale Doug
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK2QW
Forum Novice

Post by VK2QW »

I had the pleasure of meeting Doug for the first time at Gippstech 2015 and also enjoyed sharing his table with him at the conference dinner. Doug's presentation on the Sunday morning was certainly up to his expected usual standard. I was shocked to read of Doug's passing and will always remember the wit, humour and incredible depth of knowledge Doug shared over that weekend.

RIP Doug VK3UM

Tony

VK2QW
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

the funeral details have been posted on the VHF+ email group

Details of Doug vk3um's funeral.
For those of you who don't get the Capital City newspapers.
Doug's funeral will be held at 2PM on Friday 4th.
The location is Matthews Parlour
Cave Hill Rd, Lilydale. http://www.williammatthewsfunerals.com. ... earewe.htm
Bev tells me that a number of amateurs are flying out from Europe, a measure of the respect in which he is held by his EME friends.
So far she has received (thanks to Peter and Cheryl's computer skills) over 400 emails. She is sad of course, but very proud of his achievements as are we all.
John
VK5DJ
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

A ham’s ham – Doug McArthur VK3UM SK: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »