Yaesu to SPE linear interface (HELP)

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Yaesu to SPE linear interface (HELP)

Post by VK4UH »

Thanks for reading this

I looking for advice from someone who has successfully interfaced a Yaesu Transceiver with one of the new SPE linear amps.

I am trying to interface a Yaesu FT5000mp to the SPE 1K SS Linear amp

This amp is capable of supporting two separate transceivers with full CAT control for band settings etc. The two port are selectable from the front panel of the amp. I have an Icom IC9100 on the other port, the instructions for Icom are clear and the system works faultlessly.

The interfacing instructions for Yaesu are no so clear. I have made up an RS232 lead from the DB9 RS232 cat connector on the FT5000 to the DB15 connector on the SPE but cannot get the Cat ports talking.
The amp itself can be configured for all major brands of radios however the FT5000 does not appear in the on board list of compatible radios. The handbook suggests using the settings for the FT2000/FT9000 radio for more modern sets. Tried all the options

I have confirmed both radio and linear had the correct baud settings, and tried many combinations. no joy

I have confirmed both CAT ports on the SPE are working by connecting and configuring the both ports for Icom - works perfectly

Any suggestions? Is there some other setting in the Yaesu rig I have to change or enable?

I have assumed all along that I should be using the DB9 RS232 port on the Yaesu and not the Band data port (used for Yaesu linears)

Any clues?

Kevin VK4UH
Brisbane
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Re: Yaesu to SPE linear interface (HELP)

Post by VK4UH »

Don't believe it!

Fired up the station again this morning and everything works perfectly!

(even though I did this yesterday, rebooting radio and amp each time)

KJ
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

good to hear Kevin radios can be a strange thing
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK2PR

Post by VK2PR »

Hi Kevin,

Glad you got it working. Just thought I'd mention that I use the Band-Data connection between my FT200 and SPE 1K-FA, not the DB9.

LA9XNA
Forum Novice

Post by LA9XNA »

I used to sell these amps a few years ago.
Be a bit carefull when connected to Yaesu radios.
The ALC might be a bit slow, therfore it is a good idea to set the drive form the rig to 18-20W or what ever drive required to have full poweroutput on the linear.