History of AX Prefix use in 1900's

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

History of AX Prefix use in 1900's

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Hi All
On my bucket list is the coding and upload to LOTW of the odd prefixes we have used over the years.

To this end and mainly due to my poor writing I need to define the dates we used AX prefixes back last cehtury so feel free to add accurate data if you have it.
All these questions relate to the 1900's not post 2000 thanks.
I know about ANZAC DAY ITU DAY and AUSTRALIA DAY.

Q1/.
When was first time Ax prefix used and what were the periods and the duration?
Which years up to 2000 thanks.

Q2/. I see lots of entries in 1970 from January 1st working many who used the prefix AX in 1970 especially AX1 and AX2 stations.
What was this years use for and the duration was it Jan 1 thru December 31st?

Q3/. What were the dates of the following?
1977 from March 1st for a JUBILEE CELEBRATION.
Maybe even earlier that year Feb maybe?

Q4/.
When did VIC use VI3 and for what duration was it whole year.

Q5/. Did we use it all thru 1988? Bicentennial Year?

You can quote this page and insert respones in BOLD BLOCK TYPE to make it easier to read.

THANKS
Steve
AX3ZAZ
Tread your own path :om:
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Re: History of AX Prefix use in 1900's

Post by VK2ZRH »

Steve,

1970 was the Cook Bicentennial - 200 years since Captain Cook landed on the east coast of Australia (note: I said "landed', not "discovered". Maybe I should have said "invaded"). :)

That is my first recollection of the use of the AX prefix. The term ran from 1 January through 31 December. I was "2nd op" at AX0GR, Casey Station , Antarctica, that year.

I do not recall any earlier use of the AX prefix. Trawling through the online scans of AR, posted buy Will VK6UU, might reveal further info (or not).
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Roger Roger
COOK 1970 OK
How about 1977 Jubilee?
Was that Her Majesty?

Checking log do not see you but do see
2ZIG, 2ZZQ, 2ZZM, 2AVK, 2ZLX, 2ANE, 2ZIC/AM? 2ZLD 2ZIM 2AAH, 2TS, 2AZO, 2BSC, 2ZRM, 2BLM, 2ZWM, 2ZKC, 2ZJB, 2ZRW, 2ZVB, 2ZKF, 2AKX, 2AAA, VK2ZXC 2BUZ, VK2AWI
was qrt from 1970 to 1972 building radio stations so missed most.
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Steve,

You might like to look at the following article by David Burger.

http://ethw.org/Callsign_History_-_Australia

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Steve,

As you are no doubt aware, you can never trust all sources.

A classic example is if you google VI radio prefix, you come up with a Wikipaedia reference which states that VI and AX were first approved in 1979.

We all know that 1970 saw the first use and some subsequent uses of the AX prefix. I suspect that the use of AX and VI in 1979 would refer to the 1979 WARC where legislative instruments would have enabled VI and AX to be issued to amateurs on a formal, ongoing arrangement.

There are plenty of examples of VI being used in the 1980's and 1990's, for example, the EMDRC used VI3GP for the grand prix events.

As Roger suggested, an online search of AX and VI on the AR magazine, should turn up plenty of references for you.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3ZAZ wrote:Hi All
On my bucket list is the coding and upload to LOTW of the odd prefixes we have used over the years.

To this end and mainly due to my poor writing I need to define the dates we used AX prefixes back last cehtury so feel free to add accurate data if you have it.
All these questions relate to the 1900's not post 2000 thanks.
I know about ANZAC DAY ITU DAY and AUSTRALIA DAY.

Q1/.
When was first time Ax prefix used and what were the periods and the duration?
Which years up to 2000 thanks.

Q2/. I see lots of entries in 1970 from January 1st working many who used the prefix AX in 1970 especially AX1 and AX2 stations.
What was this years use for and the duration was it Jan 1 thru December 31st?

Q3/. What were the dates of the following?
1977 from March 1st for a JUBILEE CELEBRATION.
Maybe even earlier that year Feb maybe? THAT WOULD BE THE QUEEN'S SILVER JUBILEE. I WAS ONE OF THOUSANDS OF KIDS THEY SHIPPED TO MELBOURNE FOR A BIG EVENT AT FLEMINGTON(?)

Q4/.
When did VIC use VI3 and for what duration was it whole year. I BELIEVE THIS WAS THE 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF VICTORIA. I HAVE A FEELING VI3 WAS SPECIAL EVENT STATIONS ONLY (???) BUT I KNOW I HAVE SOME QSL CARDS SOMEWHERE AT HOME FROM THE PERIOD (I WAS FIRST LICENSED THAT YEAR) - WILL TRY TO LOOK TONIGHT

Q5/. Did we use it all thru 1988? Bicentennial Year? I BELIEVE THIS WAS ALL YEAR FOR THE BICENTENNIAL

You can quote this page and insert responses in BOLD BLOCK TYPE to make it easier to read.

THANKS
Steve
AX3ZAZ
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Steve,

Some specific answers to your questions:

(1) The AX prefix was used throughout 1970 specifically for the Bi-Centennary plus the 60th anniversary of the WIA

(2) The AX prefix was used throughout March 1977 (the duration of the Royal Visit) as part of the Queen's Silver Jubilee tour. In fact, the callsigns AX*HRH were used by the respective WIA states whilst the Queen was actually in the particular state

Other uses of the AX prefix include: AX6 in 1979 for the 150th anniversary of WA AX for the Commonwealth Games in 1982

In 1988 the special callsigns VI88WIA, VI88NSW etc. etc. were issued, with the DOTC refusing to pursue other applications for various callsigns, based on the process that any variations would have needed to go through the ITU application process - see AR January 1988. I cannot find any evidence of the AX prefix having been used that year, but others may.

(3) The use of the VI3 prefix.

The following list may be of use:

Page 1 of 1, of 14 matches for: VI3*

VK3TWO HEATH _ Sunbury VI (alias match)
VI3RVAC Royal Victorian Aero Club Moorabbin Airport
VI3GP Eastern & Mountain District Radio Club Mitcham 3132
VI3ARDF WIA Wireless Institute of Australia Caufield Junction Victoria 3161
VI3JPI C/O Paul Stampton VK3KXG Lady Julia Percy Island Dxpedition Mardan Victoria 3953
VI3BEZ75 Eastern Zone Amateur Radio Club (Inc) Moe VI
VI3POLIO Lee Moyle Narre Warren South, VIC
VI3JAM 21st Australian Scout Jamboree - AJ2007 Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit (VIC)
VI3KIAH Yarra Valley Amateur Radio Group Special Station Healesville Victoria Australia Vic
VI30RC REDCLIFFE AND DISTRICT RADIO CLUB INC WOODY POINT, QUEENSLAND, 4020
VI3BJA Gippsland Gate Radio & Electronics Club Inc. Cranbourne VIC 3977
VI3SAA Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit Victoria
VI3JA Central Goldfields A R C DUNOLLY. Vic. 3472
VI3ANZAC WIA Wireless Institute of Australia Bayswater Victoria

I know for sure that the VI3GP was issued first in 1996, corresponding to the first Melbourne AGP.

Other VI3 callsigns that have been registered with the VK3 QSL buro include:

VI3BML, VI3EP, VI3LH, VI3MC, VI3SAC

(5) All of these callsigns would have been issued for limited periods, corresponding to the particular commemorative event.

Jim Linton VK3PC may be able to shed some light on other VI3 callsigns, as he was particularly involved in the process through the 1980's and 1990's.

The VI3 prefix was also used during October 1985 for the 75th WIA anniversaries, but I am not sure of the duration of the special callsign.

VI3WI was used in November 1984 for Victoria's 150th anniversary, but I am not sure of the duration.

(6) Don't forget also, that the AX prefix was also issued for non-amateur scientific licences, such as AX3T35 and AX3T36 (VK3ACA and VK3QI) for low frequency experimental work on 196 KHz back in the early 1980's. I understand that many of the former Radio Inspectors also had such callsigns issued for administrative purposes.

Hope all this helps Steve,

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Thanks to all I have enough to type logs for a week

AX3Q32 :beer: