NBS Tilt Over Mast Experiences

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: NBS Tilt Over Mast Experiences

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Bernard,
when or if you go for the underground route for cables, if you can afford it, use the 100mm or 120mm sewer PVC, it has a much thicker wall and will tolerate bumps and scrapes much better.

I used two runs of 90mm storm water pipe to my tower and now regret using that stuff, the wall thickness is too thin for the purpose and the slightest force against it (miss place hole with the shovel by a contractor) causes a breach.

Where it comes out of the ground, paint it NOW with some form of acrylic paint (house exterior) as the UV will evenetually make it as brittle as a wine glass, so get in and protect it before the UV gets a chance to degrade it. If you leave it even for a year, the outside will start to craze up and then the damage is done and no one wants to dig it up again to replace a broken section at ground level.

Regards,
Last edited by VK5PJ on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK3AV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AV »

Thank you Peter for the info. What is in the ground now is staying there most definitely. I really don't want to dig it up because around this area the ground is currently like concrete and has cracks. When the trench was dug it was all mud. There is not much in between as we are on the ridge line.

Looks like some painting is in order though. Thank you for the heads up. Forces me to paint the down pipes as well as that paint is looking a little poor now. Another project...

Regards
Bernard
Forum Novice

Post by VK3ZHY »

Hi All,

I am considering an NBS mast and was wondering if anyone has gone thru getting council approval and what their experience has been ? I live in Frankston South and my understanding is that anything over 8metres in height needs council approval and over 15m is more involved and requires an actual building permit ?

Any comments / advice here would be much appreciated.

David
VK3ZHY
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

Hi David,

I'm at the other end of Frankston, and called the council when I first moved here. Not wishing to publish anything too defamatory, suffice to say, it was a frustrating experience dealing with a fella who appeared to have difficulty thinking and breathing at the same time.

Once I work out where my tower is to eventually go, then I might have another bite at it. Hopefully the "masts bloke" will have left by then. Happy to hear if anybody has had any more satisfactory dealings with Frankston council.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3BSN

Post by VK3BSN »

Hi David and All,
The NBS Tilt mast can be lowered to an 8 meter tall mast, for council regulations by drilling a 22mm hole 1600mm from the bottom of the 89mm square hollow section (SHS)tube. This allows the tube to go past the pivot bolt to the base plate. You can then also rest the SHS back on the pivot bolt later and get an extra 1600mm height. :idea: Brian at NBS can supply a Certificate of Compliance for council if required. As the height is not permanent, I can lower my antennas out of sight using the 1200lb brake winch supplied, it may keep the neighbors happy until they get used to the antennas. Brian has just made a 3 stage telescopic mast that slides into the tilting base so you do not have the 8 meter long SHS up all the time. The height is then lowered to 6.5 meters when in the vertical and extends up to over 12.5 meters tall when extended. The final pieces were picked up from the galvanisers on Tuesday and will be in place over the week end on the new mast at Johnsonville. There are also several other modifications to the carriage, A mount that can be used for fixed direction or omni-directional antennas has been made to fit into the carriage where a rotator is not required. Plus for those wanting to stack more antennas an optional longer carriage is available to give more support to longer antenna mount poles.
VK3BSN

Post by VK3BSN »

Hi VK3ALZ,
Please check the position of the pulley assembly and the carriage as I believe that it is misaligned. Contact Brian at 0402930581 for more info. The pulley should be on the same flat side as the winch and the carriage arms out to the left when you are standing facing the winch for most setups. The cable will come off the pulley and go straight to the hole for the carriage, not around the tube. If it is not aligned correctly then the cable can come off the pulley. Also there should be a small 50mm gap between the top of the carriage and the pulley mount.
VK3BSN

Post by VK3BSN »

Hi VK3ALZ,
Just found some more of your photos that show that the carriage and the pulley ARE OUT OF ALIGNMENT. Cheers Brian
VK3BSN

Post by VK3BSN »

Hi everybody,
I have been doing some research about the masts and the requirements in relation to permits.
So here goes.
Under the Telecommunication Act 1997-Sect 7 Definitions, Facility means (a) any part of the infrastructure of a telecommunications network; or (b) any line,equipment, apparatus, TOWER, MAST, ANTENNA, tunnel, duct, hole, pit, POLE or other structure or thing used, or for use, in or in connection with a telecommunications network.
I then looked up what a Telecommunications network was.
Telecommunications network means a system or series of systems, that carries, or is capable of carrying, communications by means of a guided and or unguided electromagnetic energy.
So I believe that I have a telecommunications network with other Amateur Radio Operators. Because I have the telecommunications network and also have a Tower, Mast, Antenna and Pole I now have a facility under the Telecommunications Act 1997.
What does this now mean?
Under Item 14 of the Building Regulations 2006-Schedule 8 Exemption for buildings and building work, Column 2, any facility (within the meaning of paragraph (b) of the definition of facility in section 7 of the Telecommunications Act 1997 of the Commonwealth) and the construction or demolition of such a facility by a carrier(within the meaning of that section are exempt Parts 2 to 20 except Part 4. (of the Building Regulation 2006- Victorian Consolidated Regulations)
OK. who or what is a carrier?
The definition is Carrier means the holder of a carrier license.
The definition of a carrier license, Carrier License means a license granted under section 56
56 Grant of licence
(1) After considering an application, the ACMA may grant a carrier
licence in accordance with the application.
(2) If the ACMA grants a carrier licence to a person, the ACMA must
give the person a written notice stating that the licence has been
granted.
(3) If the ACMA grants a carrier licence, the ACMA must cause to be
published in the Gazette a notice stating that the licence has been
granted.
So as a Licensed Radio Operator holding an Apparatus Licence issued by the ACMA I believe that I would comply as a Carrier under the definition.
All I have to do now is see how I go with Parts 2-20 of the Building Regulations 2006. Do I see a 100 footer in the back yard?????
Brian
VK3BSN and also VK3NBS
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Thanks Brian,
Very interesting, the only problem is that it is a minefield of definitions that a smart a*** lawyer hired by a Council could have a field day with.
Best of luck anyway.

Cheers
Nev
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

VK3BSN wrote:Brian has just made a 3 stage telescopic mast that slides into the tilting base so you do not have the 8 meter long SHS up all the time. The height is then lowered to 6.5 meters when in the vertical and extends up to over 12.5 meters tall when extended............... There are also several other modifications to the carriage, A mount that can be used for fixed direction or omni-directional antennas has been made to fit into the carriage where a rotator is not required. Plus for those wanting to stack more antennas an optional longer carriage is available to give more support to longer antenna mount poles.
Very much looking forward to seeing pictures of the telescopic mast and new carriage system! It sounds like an ideal extendable/tilt over solution.
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

To be considered as a Carrier you will need to have a Carrier Licence. If you have a Carrier Licence I believe that there may be a number conditions attached which may make holding a Carrier Licence not worth while (unless you actually are in the business of being a Carrier).
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Aren't carriers money earners? Charging for their service?

Nev
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3LU wrote:Aren't carriers money earners? Charging for their service?

Nev
Unless they're carrying a disease :sick: :sick: :sick:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3ALZ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3ALZ »

Hello Brian

I'm not sure how you say they are out of alignment.
If you look at my pictures the pully and winch are on the same side.
The wire rope goes strait up and then down.
Maybe it's the rope going up that holds the 40M Bazooka that looked like it went around?
The only difference is that the hazer isnt at 90 degrees to the which but 180 which i can't see an issue with.

Michael
VK3BSN

Post by VK3BSN »

Hi Michael,
The carriage should be at 90 deg not 180 deg. At 90 deg the cable from the winch goes over the side of the pulley furthermost from the cap and pulley mount and comes out near the cap and straight onto the carriage hole. It does not rub on the metal which can cause failure of the cable or pulley and cable keeper, failure can result in damage to the carriage and your equipment should the cable dismount the pulley or break. I tried to include a photo but It did not work for me. Can you give me a call on 0402930581 and I will send you the photo of the correct positioning.
Cheers
Brian VK3BSN
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

Great to hear of the developments Brian i'm still loving my tower.
I say thank you every time i dont have to climb a tower or do work on my antenna's.
cheers
steve
vk3meg
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

I picked up my mast from Brian yesterday. I'm hoping to get the hole dug this week & the concrete poured next week... I still have until Wyong before Mark gets me my TE-46 so I still have a few weeks to get it finished. But I can't wait...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

VK1JA wrote:
VK3BSN wrote:Brian has just made a 3 stage telescopic mast that slides into the tilting base so you do not have the 8 meter long SHS up all the time. The height is then lowered to 6.5 meters when in the vertical and extends up to over 12.5 meters tall when extended............... There are also several other modifications to the carriage, A mount that can be used for fixed direction or omni-directional antennas has been made to fit into the carriage where a rotator is not required. Plus for those wanting to stack more antennas an optional longer carriage is available to give more support to longer antenna mount poles.
Very much looking forward to seeing pictures of the telescopic mast and new carriage system! It sounds like an ideal extendable/tilt over solution.
Hi All,

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of the new extendable mast that is now available, apparently 2 or 3 have been sold so there's a couple out there now :) Does the mast tapper down from the 89mm in sections? In particular I'd like to know if the extendable version can hold the same weight/wind loading.
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

I picked up my mast from Brian yesterday. I'm hoping to get the hole dug this week & the concrete poured next week... I still have until Wyong before Mark gets me my TE-46 so I still have a few weeks to get it finished. But I can't wait...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
Richard your going to be very happy the nbs mast and tet are a great combination.

also looking forward to pics of the telecoping mast i could use another couple of meters in height :)
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Well I've got my NBS mast up & the Emtron TE-46 is working fine now... nice to finally be back on the air after so long!

But here is my question for today... where is the best place to attach the earth lug & cable on a NBS mast? My thought was to use one of the rotator base mount bolts...

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH