VK4 Tower Regs

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK4BG
Frequent Poster

VK4 Tower Regs

Post by VK4BG »

I had a visit two days before Christmas from the local Council ( Fraser Coast Regional Council ), in the form of one of their compliance Officers. I was out at the time, but my mother was told that there had been a complaint about my Mast. She informed him that this was a surprise, as the thing had been in situ for 22 years ! This seemed to surprise him, but he asked that I contact him.

I rang him later that day, and asked what the problem was. He informed me that a complaint had been made about my Mast and antennas. My mast is a 10 meter freestanding pole, that can tip over to lay approx 3 meters above the ground in bad weather if required. It has a 4 element 6 meter yagi on the top, a 23cm grid pack under that, and at about 8 meters, a two element Ultrabeam.

I told him that it had been there for some 22 years, and I was quite surprised that there had been a complaint at this stage. He requested that I email him a statement to this effect. I did this, explaining that 22 years ago I attended the then Hervey Bay Council and asked them what height I could go to without having to put in a DA or BA. I was told " if it was 10 meters or under, we are not interested in it ".

I then had the week over the Christmas break to do a bit of research, and discovered the Queensland Building Code, 2006, " in force as of August 2015 " on the Councils Web Site. Page 70 of this code told me that a " prescribed " construction on a roof to a height of 3.5 meters above the roofline, or a freestanding, non load bearing mast or tower to a height of not above 10 meters, was fine, and no further Council action was required. Why this info could not have been given to the complainant at the time the complaint was raised remains a mystery, but the outcome was a good one...no compliance issue as far as Council was concerned.

I have no idea who made the complaint, as the system allows anonymous complaints, which of course can be vexatious in nature...which I think this one was.

But, for what it is worth, the above standards appear to be what VK4 Councils refer to if there is a complaint made, or you request info re how high you can go. I now have a bit of paper telling me that there is/are no issues with my mast, so I'm ready for the next nit wit that decides to " have a go ".

Glenn
VK4BG
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Re: VK4 Tower Regs

Post by VK3MEG »

nice to hear glen i'm have a good council where i am my mast has been up for 2+ year no issues good neighbours and antenna can belowered mast can til over. some people just like causing other people issues. btw no permit here either.
cheers
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK2GJC
Forum Novice

Post by VK2GJC »

That's good Glenn - I had a similar complaint but my mast was just installed when the council arrived.

I met with the officer, he didn't know the regulations, so I presented him with a copy. He said thank you and told me if I don't hear from him in a view days it's all good. I heard nothing and thought it was all over again not knowing who complained.

Then 3 months after a new council officer turned up, and I told him what had happened, I even produced the previous officers card and date of complaint. He got very nasty and said that didn't concern him he was looking into it. Apparently the other officer left the council and didn't do the paperwork required to finish it off. :crazy: I produced the same regulations and explained how it complies. He said thank you and told me if I don't hear from him in a view days it's all good. I didn't like this type of procedure so I asked the cranky guy to get a copy in writing which he finally did. :D

All over thank goodness .....
Everything in this universe has a unique frequency, all you have to do is tune in . . .
DE VK2GJC, Greg Cogar - Ulladulla NSW South Coast - Grid: QF54fp
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Well done, Greg. You just wrote "the book" on "How to Deal With Officious Officialdom". :mrgreen:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

I always keep a few copys of the Queensland Building Regulations 2006, Schedule 1, Section 21, para 2 "Work for particular non-load bearing devices", sub-para 2 "The building work is prescribed if the device is no more than - (b) if the device is detached from any building or structure - 10m above the device's natural ground surface."

So as long as your mast is NO higher than 10m , GOOD TO GO! :D
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

Put an Australian flag at the top :D Then you can refer the complaint back to them saying 'this is Australia mate' and it's a Fancy Flag Pole :lol:

My towers in Qld took about 6 months to get 'approved' (probably because there were 4 of them 120ft high). My tower in NT took 2 years but finally got there.

Gary
VK8AW/VK4ABW
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

VK4GJW wrote: ....

So as long as your mast is NO higher than 10m , GOOD TO GO! :D
Not over here it don't! It's all well and good to have a State Planning Authority state that there should be no council restrictions on height per se. The problem still remains for those of us in suburbia where the various councils will and DO knock back an application based on " visual amenity", "(anonymous) neighbour complaints" and any other number of obscure and draconian by-laws.

I know...I've been there! :evil:

So for me, nothing changes. Still, I can't complain....I've got a 6m antenna that kinda works...even at 6m height!! :crazy:
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK4BG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BG »

My initial post was to provide some recent info re VK4 as per the Qld Building Code. The house next door was recently sold...new neighbours are moving in as I type this. I am of the opinion that they made the complaint, even before moving in ! There was also a prospective purchaser who actually asked the RE Agent " what the antennas next door were ". He then went on to tell the RE Agent that he was aware that this sort of thing interfered with Wi Fi, TV , Stereo etc, etc... he then advised that he could not proceed with an offer to purchase because of my hobby !

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that he made a complaint, as a parting gift !

My money is on the new neighbours being the culprits, which really makes me shake my head at human nature...I want to live there, but I don't like what is in the neighbours yard, so I'll start complaining day one to get rid of the eyesore and shut him down. I might add that my Mast and tower is as neat as I can possibly make it.

I don't know if as per Andy's post, I'll now be hit with " it is a visual eyesore ", in an attempt to continue the harassment till I remove the structure. I look around my immediate neighbours and I can see multiple compliance issues...obvious to even blind freddy, but apparently radio antenna are a real no no.

However, there are two chances that they will succeed whoever they are...None, and Buckleys.

It really is breathtaking that Council would even consider proceeding on " visual amenity "....in whose opinion is something considered " ugly " ? I have yet to see the new " Woman of the House " next door...she had better be attractive, or I'm off to the Council to make a complaint :D
VK4BLP

Post by VK4BLP »

VK4BG wrote: I then had the week over the Christmas break to do a bit of research, and discovered the Queensland Building Code, 2006, " in force as of August 2015 " on the Councils Web Site. Page 70 of this code told me that a " prescribed " construction on a roof to a height of 3.5 meters above the roofline, or a freestanding, non load bearing mast or tower to a height of not above 10 meters, was fine, and no further Council action was required. Why this info could not have been given to the complainant at the time the complaint was raised remains a mystery, but the outcome was a good one...no compliance issue as far as Council was concerned.

I have no idea who made the complaint, as the system allows anonymous complaints, which of course can be vexatious in nature...which I think this one was.
Thanks for the info Glenn, I've got similar who are simply nutjobs who think I'm out to 'nuke the neighbourhood' and drive house values down to nothing, and have been the recipient of numerous complaints ever since I was honest enough to answer their question as to what the hole in the ground was, after they did their own personal inspection of my building site whilst trespassing on my block. Vexatious complaints is their middle name. :(

The worst part is that they have actually stalked me all over the internet, including to this forum to see what I am up to !! ... perhaps the forum admin might like to make posts visible to only logged in members.

My issue here is that I can not put up my 10m one man tower copy, even though it is around 70m from that persons house, with my own home naturally much closer to keep the transmission lines as short as possible. Of course I'm aware of EMR, so I'll be sure to prevent issues on that regard.

My tower location is up behind the house, and have already started to plant trees to make it all but invisible from the road, even though you'd need a pretty keen eye to spot it from the road about 110m away from the tower location.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

Brenden
looking at your site I see opportunity for wire , mag loops and some great dx , perhaps agreeing to the convenant was not a good idea or is that now defunct ?
personally some wire beams and a decent loop would get your dx heard imho
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

Makes me glad I live where I do.

Everybody here has at least a 10m tower on their block (well, the neighbour did until he took his down, it's in my backyard now).
No "visual amenity" problems here :)
VK4BLP

Post by VK4BLP »

Covenant is still there, and not likely to finish up until another few hundred homes get built. :(

I'd could say what I want to do, but sadly these vexatious people who despise amateur radio, are lurking on this forum stalking my every move. :(
VK4BG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BG »

Hi Brendan,

There are some real nutcases out there..one of the prospective purchasers next door " knew all about radio "..." Gets into Wi Fi, TV " etc, etc.

My WiFi and TV work fine, and in 22 years I have never had a complaint, and I run the legal limit when required. I followed your adventure on this forum for some time, and could only shake my head at the neighbor you have to deal with.

I'd be putting up a 10 meter tower...with nothing on it except an Australian Flag..right at the top, and see what the frightbat has to say about that.

Keep fighting !

Glenn
VK4BG
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK4BLP wrote:The worst part is that they have actually stalked me all over the internet, including to this forum to see what I am up to !! ... perhaps the forum admin might like to make posts visible to only logged in members.
???
That is EXACTLY how I have set this Forum up.
You do need to be signed in to see most things, all except the two help forums and site issues forums.

Anyone can prove this themselves by simply signing out, and then try and view topics.
wtf.PNG
If you have been stalked HERE, it was by a fellow amateur member (who have you annoyed?), or you were stalked elsewhere - not this Forum.

VK4BLP wrote:...are lurking on this forum stalking my every move.
Please sign out of the forum, and when you then sign back in, you can tell us all what you saw.
This needs to be put to rest.
As our neighbors can demonstrate, ignorance can be dangerous.

:om:

BTW, your Facebook page is largely open to the world.
If your neighbors know your name (title search?).
Just sayin.
bp-fb.PNG
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK4BLP

Post by VK4BLP »

Thanks for your response Admin.

Seems like they may have joined up, or had someone else to do their spying for them, because they told someone it was from vklogger.

If I have upset another amateur for them to report back to these people, then I'll be buggered as to what I have done. I'm assuming you check each and every new forum member as to their actual licence ? ... I assumed their parents 4wd had a vks737 whip on it, not AR stuff.
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

VK4BG wrote:My initial post was to provide some recent info re VK4 as per the Qld Building Code. The house next door was recently sold...new neighbours are moving in as I type this. I am of the opinion that they made the complaint, even before moving in ! There was also a prospective purchaser who actually asked the RE Agent " what the antennas next door were ". He then went on to tell the RE Agent that he was aware that this sort of thing interfered with Wi Fi, TV , Stereo etc, etc... he then advised that he could not proceed with an offer to purchase because of my hobby !

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that he made a complaint, as a parting gift !

My money is on the new neighbours being the culprits, which really makes me shake my head at human nature...I want to live there, but I don't like what is in the neighbours yard, so I'll start complaining day one to get rid of the eyesore and shut him down. I might add that my Mast and tower is as neat as I can possibly make it.

I don't know if as per Andy's post, I'll now be hit with " it is a visual eyesore ", in an attempt to continue the harassment till I remove the structure. I look around my immediate neighbours and I can see multiple compliance issues...obvious to even blind freddy, but apparently radio antenna are a real no no.

However, there are two chances that they will succeed whoever they are...None, and Buckleys.

It really is breathtaking that Council would even consider proceeding on " visual amenity "....in whose opinion is something considered " ugly " ? I have yet to see the new " Woman of the House " next door...she had better be attractive, or I'm off to the Council to make a complaint :D
If this was me i would go out of my way to welcome the new neighbours to your local community maybe ask them around for a couple of drinks and BBQ and a good chat this way you will more than likley find out if it was them making the complaint.

Lets be devils advocate and put the shoe on the other foot, if you where a Home theatre buff and that was your hobby but your neighbours "ham radio" was interfering with your system you would be pissed off too.

Don't get me wrong towers and antenna's to my eye looks fantastic but I am biased. Lots of people DON'T like them...the same old story like cell phone towers next to schools bla bla bla

Defuse the situation and don't let it stew otherwise things could come to a head...

Happy neighbours are good neighbours.

My 2c

Mike ZL3MF
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

What Mike said. Objectively speaking, towers and antennas are ugly for the general populous, just as are old car bodies in people's front gardens. Hams like antennas and towers and car rebuilders like old car bodies. We just need to be considerate of our neighbours and remember that suburbia really is a shared space. That doesn't mean it should stop us, but we should consider our impact on others when planning our antennas.
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

reminds me of a CBer in Townsville many years ago. He had a 100 ft crankup... council tried to ping him, but it was always cranked down during 'business hours'. each night..it went up :lol:

(he lived on Kings Rd right opposite the main shopping centre on Woolcock Rd for those who know Tvl area)

regards
Gary
VK4ABW/VK8AW
VK4BG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BG »

Hmm,
I have mixed feelings about this....yes, we should all strive to get along. I have put up with the Guy on the corner who runs an Aircon business out of his garage, with crap all over the footpath, the Guy across the road and up three houses who runs a panel beating business in front of his garage ( Dent Doctor sort of thing )...and five cars parked on the front lawn 24/7 and then the Guy across the road who runs a carpeting cleaning business with constant comings and goings of multiple trucks. All of them have compliance issues that I could complain about...but I haven't the entire 23 years I have lived here.

I could also understand if the new neighbor went to Council, and asked what the restrictions were on Amateur Towers, and after getting the info, THEN decided if he wanted to live next door.

But nope, full frontal attack, and anonymously to boot.

The new neighbor has arrived of course with the obligatory barking dog...the last mob had two dogs, so I am slightly better off I suppose.

So, pardon me if I am not that enthusiastic to ply them with free beer and food to " soften them up "..the first move has already been made.

It is a sad World we live in when people simply cannot mind their own business...however, I could be 100% wrong here, and the new neighbor may not be the complainant, but I simply can't think of anyone else who would be up to it.

Should things escalate, I do have Plans B and C...and Plan D, which is give up the hobby, and buy a boat and a two stroke motorbike, and flush the boat engine at 7am on a Sunday morning as most around here enjoy doing :D

Glenn
VK4BG
ZL2ADU

Post by ZL2ADU »

Tell the neighbour that your other hobby is Chain Saw Sculpturing. You will take that up more if
you have to give up Ham Radio.
Chain saws sound nice at 6am
:D :D :D