2016 Summer VHF-UHF Field Day

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK3LL

2016 Summer VHF-UHF Field Day

Post by VK3LL »

VK3KQ/p will again be out for the Summer FD, at our usual location in the Ross Creek State Forest, QF12VG - about 25km south of Ballarat. We'll be spotting ourselves on the Contest Radar and will again be running all bands between 6mx and 10GHz. This time we'll also have vertically polarised yagis for 2m and 70cm to aid communicating with other stations who may be vertical.

We look forward to working as many stations as possible. :om:

Good DX!
Ralph VK3LL

PS. Damian has started on the 24GHz build which we hope will be ready for the Winter FD :om3:
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Re: 2016 Summer VHF-UHF Field Day

Post by VK2ZIW »

Dates from the WIA website:

Summer 2016 - Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 January.

Winter 2016 - Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 June.

Alan VK2ZIW
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

Greetings to all!

Subject, as always, to the weather, I propose to be operating for a couple or three hours from Mt Gravatt in Brisbane (QG62MK) on the Saturday evening after about 7:00 p.m. (local time), then re-commencing on the Sunday morning from the Border Ranges National Park (QG61NP) in Northern VK2 from around 6:00 a.m (Queensland time) through to the end of the contest period.

All bands from 50 MHz to 47 GHz will be available for use. On the 'busy' bands, SSB operating frequencies will, as usual, be the main calling frequency of .150 on each band with frequent QSY'ing to .175 or other frequencies close by. I will usually also be keeping an eye on 146.5 MHz and 439.0 MHz FM simplex channels, which often also serve sometimes as liaison frequencies for microwave operating.

Regarding liaison, mobile 'phones (Testra, at least) don't work at the Border Ranges site - they hear just too many base stations (text messages sometimes get through, but are usually greatly delayed) - so greater reliance will have to be on SSB and/or FM on 2 metres or 70 centimetres for liaison. I can set up a notebook computer with a directional antenna pointing down into NSW to obtain internet and VK-Logger capabilities, but that's just another activity which uses up valuable time and keeping focused on operating radio gear solo on many bands is my highest priority.

All QSOs will be appreciated and enjoyed. Let's all have fun!

Cheers and 73,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

Unfortunately again I have had something crop up that will not allow me to partake in the field day and this coming summer field day just happens to fall on the same weekend as my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I was looking forward to getting the cob webs out of my microwave gear until I found out the dates of the field day.
Hopefully one day I will be able to get back out and do some field day contests but for now I apologise to the South East VK4' s you will be down one more microwave station again for this contest.

Cheers
Robert
VK4LHD
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

VK3ER/p

A number of issues have conspired to make it difficult for the VK3ER team to get out for the Summer FD.

Therefore, we have decided to withdraw the team.

However, we may be able to activate some extra home stations for the contest and possibly activate the club station from our club rooms in Burwood.

At this stage, the weather in Victoria looks reasonable for the contest - so the best of luck to those who venture out in the field.

Regards

Peter VK3QI (for VK3ER/p)
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

Hey Peter - Perhaps we can borrow an EU20 generator to run our tent air conditioner? :clap:

Cheers,
Ralph VK3LL
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Ralph,

Better to borrow the heater generator - the Yamaha - just get Damian to pick it up.

You can then run the 70cm amp at 15 instead of 10!

Peter
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

A combined effort from the Brisbane VHF Group and the Redcliffe and District Radio Club is planned for the Summer Field day 9-10 Jan 2016

Operation will be from the Howells Knob site near Maleny QG63mh for the Saturday 8 hour section only

Station callsign will be VK4IF/p

operation is planned from 6m to 23 cms

and

2.4 to 10GHz at least with the option of 24 GHz

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

Im a contester through and through but for the
ross hull i feel the need for a serial is not worth it fair enough for field day etc. (and any field day contacts made sumbitted for the ross hull) but i make many vhf contacts through the month alot sota etc with marginal signal etc keeping over shorts i wont be submitting a log if serial number is needed for every contact. plus my activites range across hf to vhf uhf plus my log wont support ad hoc serial numbers.

cheers
steve
vk3meg
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

The Scout Jamboree at Cateract Dam NSW is running over this weekend also.
From www.aj2016.com.au
The Australian Jamboree 2016 will be start on Sunday, 3rd January 2016 and finish on Wednesday, 13th January 2016 (excluding move in and out dates).
VK2PR

Post by VK2PR »

VK2ZIW wrote:The Scout Jamboree at Cateract Dam NSW is running over this weekend also.
From http://www.aj2016.com.au
The Australian Jamboree 2016 will be start on Sunday, 3rd January 2016 and finish on Wednesday, 13th January 2016 (excluding move in and out dates).
http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 31&t=13477
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

Has anyone seen the Summer rules published anywhere? :om:

Cheers,
Ralph VK3LL.
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

VK3UHF will be operating as usual from the Barrabool Hills, QF21CU, 15km west of Geelong. All bands 50MHz to 47GHz will be available. Operators will be Ken VK3NW, David VK3QM, Arie VK3AMZ, Carlo VK3BCL and me, VK3PY.

This year our intention is to participate at a leisurely pace rather than compete outright. We will be focussing mainly on trying for very long distance contacts rather than slogging though loads of trivial local contacts, though of course, all calls will be answered where possible.

Chas
VK3PY
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Has anyone seen the Summer rules published anywhere?
Ralph - page 51 December AR magazine, print and digital editions. :wink:

I'll also post a PDF to the FD page, too. To help the Irish (to be sure, to be sure), it's the same as 2015 Spring and Winter rules. :)
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

What about the spring results Roger? It seems strange that you've only released the partial results.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Hi Lou,

It's not strange. Compiling and formatting the tables . . . and checking . . . and checking . . . has to be done manually. Tedium delirium. I'm doing it day by day. There has to be another way. Tried a different approach. Didn't work (not presentable). It's not as if nothing's happening. I have to fit it in between higher priority WIA work, domestic work looking after Val (now very much bedridden) etc. There were some "issues" with some logs that needed to be addressed - only finalised yesterday. One could, of course, be draconian and institute a rule to the effect that, unless a log is up-to-scratch (whatever that may be), it will be dis-included. I'm inclined to not do that. I might suggest that results could be presented as lists of final scores per station per category - soooo much simpler; but we committed to continuing the tables. This lot will be my last. Now, let me get on with it. :wink:
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

A PDF file of the Rules for the coming weekend's event is now on the website page, here: http://www.wia.org.au/members/contests/vhfuhf/
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Actually definitely 24 and 47GHz as well.
VK4UH wrote:A combined effort from the Brisbane VHF Group and the Redcliffe and District Radio Club is planned for the Summer Field day 9-10 Jan 2016

Operation will be from the Howells Knob site near Maleny QG63mh for the Saturday 8 hour section only

Station callsign will be VK4IF/p

operation is planned from 6m to 23 cms

and

2.4 to 10GHz at least with the option of 24 GHz

Kevin VK4UH
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2ZRH wrote:Hi Lou,

It's not strange. Compiling and formatting the tables . . . and checking . . . and checking . . . has to be done manually. Tedium delirium. I'm doing it day by day. There has to be another way. Tried a different approach. Didn't work (not presentable). It's not as if nothing's happening. I have to fit it in between higher priority WIA work, domestic work looking after Val (now very much bedridden) etc. There were some "issues" with some logs that needed to be addressed - only finalised yesterday. One could, of course, be draconian and institute a rule to the effect that, unless a log is up-to-scratch (whatever that may be), it will be dis-included. I'm inclined to not do that. I might suggest that results could be presented as lists of final scores per station per category - soooo much simpler; but we committed to continuing the tables. This lot will be my last. Now, let me get on with it. :wink:
Hi Roger, next you're going to tell me that you need to sleep too. :J

Understood. I meant strange in the way that seemingly the results were known. Duly noted on the up to scratch logs - I know there were some issues with mine early on. As you were, keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing the full results very soon. We train spotters like to stay on top of things you know. :wink:

BTW, VK3ALB team will be out on the same old hill with the same old bands with the same old friends looking forward to working the usual suspects and anyone else we can rustle up.

That's QF11VS in between Colac & Winchelsea with 6m through 10GHz. We should be on air before dark on Friday evening.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

VK2ZRH wrote:page 51 December AR magazine
Thanks Roger - I had been looking on the website - it never occurred to me it might be in AR. }:[
Many thanks.

Ralph VK3LL