Kenwood TS-130S Repair/Resto

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK5FCLG
Forum Novice

Kenwood TS-130S Repair/Resto

Post by VK5FCLG »

Good evening all! Hopefully I've posted this in the appropriate section.

A while back I was gifted an old Kenwood TS-130S, somewhat working but in need of a little repair.

I'm seeking a kind someone who is experience in repairing these units. I've purchased a capacitor replacement kit (hoping this will fix the issue), however its a little outside my comfort zone, skill set and patience to work on this unit.

The particular issue is that it takes a while to 'warm up' and become stable. Once on, I can only tune through one or two bands before the display flickers & switches off. It tends to be the beginning and end of the bands which mysteriously taper off. The other bands simply show no display at all.

I'd love to hear from anyone who might be interested in helping repair it - exchange of $$ to be negotiated, of course :)

There is also a Yaesu FP-700 in need of repair, its output voltage is something like 24v+ (was years ago since I checked, could be something entirely different). Not too concerned about it, though would be nice if it worked/someone took it!

Thanks, Damien
VK5FCLG
Jack of all trades, master of none.
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Re: Kenwood TS-130S Repair/Resto

Post by VK4ADC »

Damien

I found a similar effect in a TS120V earlier this year and it was some of the 'higher band VCO' transistors on the RF board had dropped gain. Replacing them solved the issues and the display no longer dropped out on any band up to and including 10 metres, where initially 3.5, 7 and 14 were ok but 21 and 28 weren't. Plan on replacing ALL of the VCO transistors when it is repaired (i.e. the 5 of them) while the PCB is out of position. By the way, there was enough lead length in the 120V to replace the devices without disconnecting any wires, by just removing the PCB mounting screws, and I would expect the same in the 130S.

Your main issue is that FLs aren't allowed to service their transmitters (under the LCD) even if they have the appropriate skills.

I haven't seen the schematic of an FP-700 but if the output voltage is above 20 volts then the series pass power transistors are probably short-circuit, and maybe the regulator device that drives them too. Worth fixing though.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK4ADC wrote:
Your main issue is that FLs aren't allowed to service their transmitters (under the LCD) even if they have the appropriate skills.
Are you sure this is correct?

I know they can't MODIFY their transmitters and must use commercially manufactured transmitters but I don't recall anything about F-calls not being allowed to repair their own TX gear.

I may be wrong, if so please don't flame me. :mrgreen:

Sorry, don't mean to take this off-topic.
Theo
VK5IR
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Are you sure this is correct?

I know they can't MODIFY their transmitters and must use commercially manufactured transmitters but I don't recall anything about F-calls not being allowed to repair their own TX gear.
True, the LCD only states
"28 Transmitting equipment restrictions
The licensee must not operate an amateur foundation station using a transmitter that has not been manufactured commercially."

I was pretty sure that I saw something in the FL manual or syllabus or notes that indicated that they could not service their transmitter equipment. Maybe I was seeing things that weren't there.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

"FLs aren't allowed to service their transmitters (under the LCD) even if they have the appropriate skills".
Does that mean that a qualified radio tech who has a foundation license can service my ham radio but not his own? Seems odd :?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4ADC wrote:
I don't think that is correct. This statement comes up from time to time but I have yet to come across anyone that can show me where that is written. The LCD and Radcom (the only things that count) act do not say that anywhere.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK5FCLG
Forum Novice

Post by VK5FCLG »

Thanks for responses so far.

VK4ADC, thanks for the reminder on that license restriction! I guess in this case its fortunate the repair is a little out of my depth for self-repair, and why that regulation is in place!

WRT the letter of the law, can I operate a radio which has been repaired by someone with a std/advanced license, or do I need to pay through the nose for a qualified/authorised repaired?

EDIT: Ignore all of the above if VK3ALB's post is correct.
Any takers for a repair job? :)
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Pidgeons ???
Cat ???

Back to the TS-130S repair topic methinks :crazy:

The transistors to replace are Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 and Q5 on the PLL unit PCB.
Original type is 2SC460B for Q1-4 and 2SC1923 for Q5 but any reasonable replacement NPN RF transistor (FT 600MHz or so) will probably do, taking care that the legs are set into the correct order. Lead order is ECB for the original transistors, hFE of 100-200. If you really get stuck, try a 2N2222 from Jaycar although its lead order is EBC and you will need to sleeve and transpose a few leads.
Last edited by VK4ADC on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK5FCLG wrote:
WRT the letter of the law, can I operate a radio which has been repaired by someone with a std/advanced license, or do I need to pay through the nose for a qualified/authorised repaired?

Damien, don't go down that slippery slope and cause yourself a whole lot of angst. You're doing the right thing asking for help and there is nothing in the legislation that talks about the repaired state of your equipment.

Two suggestions;

First, find yourself a local club and a good mentor to guide you.
Second, Make it your business to understand your rights and responsibilities by reading the LCD.

Am I right? Well, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Doug, nothing personal.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

VK3ALB wrote:Doug, nothing personal.
No offence taken Lou.
I could have gone back and edited it out once the comments started coming but I decided to just let it roll on although it hasn't yet been proven that I was either right or wrong.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
VK5FCLG
Forum Novice

Post by VK5FCLG »

Doug,
Thankyou :) I've had a quick look, 2SC460 is available on aliexpress for $5.60+post, and 2sc1923 for $3-5 in pack of 50 or 100! No such luck with either of these on Mouser or element14.
Alternatively the 2sc460 could be swapped with 2n2222's from Jaycar as you suggested.
EDIT- Just got in touch with a friend whos got some 2SC460s and something which should fit the 2SC1923

Lou,
I try to keep my mouth shut when it comes to the politics side of things. I'm just here for the gadgets!
Thanks for the link, I'll peruse and refresh my memory! It's been a few years since I've done anything amateur-radio related.
I'm fortunate to have a mentor at my disposal, though he's a little further away than considered 'local'

Damien
VK5KAF
Forum Novice

Post by VK5KAF »

Damien before you go swapping transistors i have a ts130s that periodically looses the numbers on the display or just reads .0 for days or sometimes just a few minutes .. search on the internet somewhere and i cant find it maybe in mods dk.
there is a fix for the problem just cutting a track and putting in a jumper wire . the intermittent display problem is caused by a bad connection in the thin film wire connections to the display ( i think thats what its called )
also apart from bad connections where the boards are screwed to the chassis the rf relays can become dirty ( mine has fixed itself) they can be had from a guy in the US who has made a replacement board to accommodate 2 off the shelf relays to replace the kenwood one which is discontinued item they are the same as the ones used in kenwood ts520 and ts 820 do a google on ts520 s relays
or check out K4EAA website
dont give up hope they are a great little rig
best of luck JOHN
vk5kaf
VK5FCLG
Forum Novice

Post by VK5FCLG »

Thanks John, much appreciated.
My issue sounds more like what Doug experienced on the TS120V but I'll keep all avenues in mind.
I had a quick look at K4EAA's website but not sure if he is still selling the parts. The last update was from 2014 where he mentioned something about declining health. Hopefully everything is OK..

Cheers, Damien
VK5LTD
Forum Novice

Post by VK5LTD »

I also have a TS-130S - purchased at a hamfest that is in good order but age will necessitate some replacements in time. This is the third of 130S I have owned- it was also my first & second radios I had as a novice. They were such a compact radio for the time and many an amateur started with or used these models.

The S meter does need adjustment and there were two pots to do the adjustment but I can't get it right. I do have a RF sig gen but not sufficient attenuation to inject the right signal level- so now an attenuator is being built. Funny how fixing one small adjustment creates a new project altogether!