50 MHz from H44 this summer?

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4KHZ

50 MHz from H44 this summer?

Post by VK4KHZ »

I am heading back to the Solomon Islands for Christmas/New Year and I am considering taking my 50 Mhz equipment with me but to be perfectly honest I have not been on 6 metres for the past couple of years so I am not sure if it would still be worth the effort. Any comments?

I will be taking some satellite equipment with me for activation through LEO satellites.

I will be staying primarily in Busoni village and also spending some time on Kwai Island. Expected to arrive 22nd December and depart sometime in January 2016.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Re: 50 Mhz question

Post by VK4WTN »

hi Shane, 50Mhz operation at that time of year would be great from the solomans. Should be plenty of Es activity.The 6 meter guys would be very greatful if you activate 6M
best regards Wayne VK4WTN
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Yes, I agree. The best chance of 6m propagation from H44 to VK would be that time of the year when sporadic E propagation is likely. I have worked P29 and YJ on 6m during December January and I still need H44. Having said that it is called sporadic for a reason and can be very patchy and short lived so it would be essential to monitor the VK beacons.

If you have the room some 2m gear might be handy too because long-haul DX is also common on 2m that time of the year and the H44-VK path has not been done on 2m to my knowledge.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4OX

Post by VK4OX »

Shane,

I presume your satellite gear covers 144MHz ssb and possibly 432MHz ssb as well?

On November 28'th 1995 I worked several FK8 stations on 144 and 432 MHz tropo. They were using their satellite gear with crossed yagis on both bands. The band was open for several days. The same thing happened about one year later on Sept 17'th 1996. Unfortunately those stations are no longer active on the satellites.

Last Friday evening, 20'th Nov 2015, FK8 repeater on 146.800MHz was received in Brisbane for a new hours. Tropo... qrb from my qth to Noumea is 1462km. I also worked FK8 on 144MHz ssb on Es a few years ago.

I can't find your prospective locations on Google maps but qrb from my qth to Honiara, QI90xn, is 2068 km. Ideal for 144MHz Es. Xmas to New Year is best time also.. Tropo on 144MHz and 432MHz is also possible. It would be a shame to miss such an opportunity..

Could you please specify 6 character Grid squares for you prospective operations.

Will you have vklogger access?

Good luck and good dx!

73, Adrian VK4OX.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Should be worth the effort
Awesome dx location
de VK3OT/H44OT/H40OT
Tread your own path :om:
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Thanks for the replies.

First and foremost I am not intending to conduct any form of DX operation but having said that I do have a keen interest in all aspects of the hobby and whilst my trip this time is primarily to catch up with friends I am able to take some radio gear with me and operate as time permits . I will be based on Malaita - Busoni and Kwai are located on the east coast of Malaita - I have not worked out the respective grid squares yet.
At this stage I am intending to take only my FT857ND, Arrow satellite antenna & M2 6M5XHG. There will be no internet access or reticulated electricity supply at either location but a power source will be available.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK4OX

Post by VK4OX »

Shane,
I found Kwai...RI01lf qrb 2176km qtf 24 deg Reverse qtf 202 deg. A bit of tiger country on the path over Malaita but your first 15km in my direction not too bad. 144MHz Es a real chance .. Can't find Busoni but if it's close to Kwai it won't matter...

i realise your in 'holiday mode" but I shall keep a look out in your direction if I think there is a chance.

73, Adrian. VK4OX
VK5BC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5BC »

Hi Shane

I think there is a good chance of E's on 6m to most of VK in the period you will be there, certainly will be looking for you on 6m.

73's Brian
VK5BC
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

VK5BC wrote:Hi Shane

I think there is a good chance of E's on 6m to most of VK in the period you will be there, certainly will be looking for you on 6m.

73's Brian
VK5BC
And don't forget ZL :D :beer:

73's Mike

ZL3MF
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

Yes keen to work you there Shane.
Must be 15 years since Peter Taylor returned there.

Good luck. Ross
ZL3MH
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3MH »

H44PT always very strong

73 Murray ZL3MH
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Thanks all for the comments. When I was in Honiara a couple of years ago I managed to work around 40 stations on 6m without too much effort. This time we will be on Malaita and I expect to be able to have the radio running during most afternoons, and no I won't forget the ZL's.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK4KHZ

Re: 50 MHz from H44 this summer?

Post by VK4KHZ »

OK well I now have an update.

I will not be operational from the Solomon's before 25th December 2015 as I am scheduled to arrive in Busoni village on the afternoon of 24th December 2015 and do want to catch up with everyone first.

When I have time my priority will be to set up the 6m gear first. I have a reliable electricity supply (inverter generator) and a good supply of fuel.
When operating on 6m and after calling on 50.110, I will always QSY to 50.125 as my primary frequency and 50.135 as secondary frequency (secondary frequency will only be used if primary is in use or too much QRM).

I have received a few emails requesting scheduled contacts but I wish to reiterate that my primary purpose for this trip is to catch up with friends and only operate radio as time allows.

I will also have a 40m, 20m and 10m antenna with me as well as an Arrow Antenna for satellites SO 50 & AO 85

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

Enjoy your trip Shane. Working you on 6m from VK6 will be a bonus! 8)

73 Andy
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

I have arrived in Solomon and will reach my final destination (Kwai Island) on Thursday. I should have 6m & 2m antennas set up promptly and HF OCF antenna shortly thereafter. Ended up with $480 excess freight bill but that's OK. Just purchased local internet dongle and it works fine.
Regards

Shane VK4KHZ / H44DA
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

Great Shane, if you have the time I am sure we will work you.

73 Ross
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

Look forward to hearing you Shane.Have a great holiday over ther
regards Wayne VK4WTN
VK4OX

Post by VK4OX »

Happy holiday Shane.
Good DX

BTW your H44DA vklogger profile has you in QI90xi. I believe your operation this time will be from Kwai, RI01lf. If that is the case, perhaps you could update your profile to that effect.

73, Adrian.
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Thanks all, looking forward to some good 6m conditions and also my first SO50 satellite contact from H44.
Hope to CU all in the log.

73 Shane
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

I am about to leave Honiara and wish to thank everyone for their dedication in listening for me on 6m when in Busoni/ Ngosila Island & Kwai Island.
I managed to work a number of ZL's and only one VK being my good friend Tony VK5ZAI. We had significant success on 10m as well as checking into the ANZA net on 20m.
The highlight for me was working VK4CDQ & VK4ZQ on SO50 Satellite with a large number of the Island kids watching. We also had a great night with many of the kids and elders spotting the International Space Station as it passed over the island.

I have left my FT857, 1Kva generator, 80Ahr battery, 100 watt solar panel, power supply, telescopic mast and 6m antenna behind on Malaita for future use. If anyone is contemplating going to Solomon Islands at any time in the future and wish to use the equipment please feel free to contact me.

I have some fantastic photos of the kids satellite spotting.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ / H44DA