3.4 GHz QSO Party

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

3.4 GHz QSO Party

Post by VK3ALB »

3.4GHz QSO party
3.4GHz QSO party
As promised at Gippstech 2015 the Geelong Amateur Radio club will be holding a 3.4GHz QSO party on Sunday the 21st of February 2016 - just for the fun of it. It is not a contest.

The club will field a number of 3.4GHz capable stations on hilltops and high spots around the Geelong area and invites all those with 3.4GHz equipment to join us. We will be looking in all directions to make contacts with as many 3.4GHz operators as we can.

Over 120 panels have gone out into the ham community in the last year and we’re hoping to hear some of them on air. So if you haven’t got your conversion completed you still have plenty of time to get stuck in and get them going.

With a good take off you will make contacts out past 100km with these panels.

When? Sunday 21st February 2016 10:00am to noon AEDST
Where? Any hilltop or high ground you can find
Why? It’s fun and gives everyone a chance to use their gear
Frequency? Tune 3400.100 and downwards for SSB or CW contacts. Tune 3400.200 and upwards for FM contacts
Liaison VK3RGL - 147.000 with 91.5Hz

Preparation
• Take the time to scout good operating locations in your area
• Take a hand held with you to see what repeaters you can hit
• Tell your friends, or offer to take a newbie with you
• Get online and make yourself known to other interested operators
• Register your intentions to participate on VKlogger or Contest Radar to give your self the best chance of being worked. If people know you’re out there they will take the time to look for you.

For those of you that have purchased the 3.4GHz panels don't forget that the sacrificial panel has a perfectly good 3.4GHz antenna inside. So if you've finished your XDK or Kuhne or Demi 3.4GHz transverter but are still wondering how you're going to find an antenna for it your questions have been answered.
3.4GHz QSO party.pdf
3.4GHz QSO party flyer
(48.99 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Re: 3.4GHz QSO Party

Post by VK4CLG »

We need something like this in South East VK4. It seems that during contests and MAD's ( Microwave Activity Days) that 3.4Ghz seems to get left out in favour of 2.4Ghz and 10Ghz Plus.
There must be plenty of people out there with 3.4Ghz transverter's that are collecting dust. I know I have had mine for over 2 years and have had a whole 3 contacts with it. I think we are due for another MAD up here soon as there hasn't been one for a while now so something that makes 3.4Ghz the primary used band would be good. May as well use it before we lose it.

Cheers
Robert
VK4LHD
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

I'll be on deck, for sure. QTH will be QF21CU, 15km west of Geelong, about 210m ASL. I'll take my 20W transverter and 1.2m dish as well as suitable gear for 2 & 70 FM co-ordination. By my count, there could be as many as seven independent stations fielded by the Geelong Amateur Radio Club alone. Off the top of my head, I can double that figure by including other stations I've worked on field days.

I think we'll probably need to employ a variety of 2/70 repeaters for co-ordination as the distances that are possible on 3.4GHz, even with modest gear, may well exceed the coverage of VK3RGL/2m. I guess we can figure this out as the day approaches. Anyone expecting to be outside of VK3RGL's coverage might wish to determine which repeater(s) they can access and post accordingly. There's also the mobile phone to fall back on if all else fails.

As Lou mentioned, this is not a contest. The emphasis will be on co-operation so that everyone can make the most of the event.

Also, note the two nominated frequencies, "100" and below for SSB, "200" and above for FM. This decision was based upon the likelihood that a number of operators with "panel" transversters might not have a 70cm SSB rig to use as a tuneable IF. Most would have, or be able to borrow, a 70cm FM hand-held rig for this purpose. The idea behind the split frequencies is to minimise QRM between users of each mode. Those using FM exclusively should keep in mind that virtually all SSB operators can also do FM and will happily oblige you.

Chas
VK3PY :om3:
VK5KK
Frequent Poster

Re: 3.4GHz QSO Party - VK5 Chapter

Post by VK5KK »

Hi All,

As about 40 of those panels found their way to VK5 (SCARC & EARC) the VK5 "Chapter" will run a parallel QSO party on the same day (21/2/2016), same times, frequencies, etc.

Coordination frequency = 439.925 MHz VK5RAD Crafers Rpt (North & South)

More as it happens :-)

Cheers

David VK5KK
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Nice work Dave, I hope the suspension on Tim's car made it back home in one piece. :)

Robert, there's nothing stopping you all from joining in. Quite a few panels made their way to VK4 - check with the usual suspects.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3KQ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KQ »

Hi Lou,
KQ/p will be out and about and very will very happily hand out some numbers. :lol:
Can we have it go a little longer say 10.00 am to 2.00 pm for some guaranteed repeat contacts. :clap:
Very happy for you to tell us where to go :shh: if you get me drift.
I have 3 of the panels to convert into 2. Will see if I can squeeze it in time wise

Cheers Damian / Ralph
Damian VK3KQ
0439 399215
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

tell us where to go
I think there would be any number of people who could volunteer that information, Damian.

But, in the interests of helping people "point their panels with pinpoint precision" we'll most likely be at QF12VG (near Enfield) as it has a good path to Geelong and VK5.

What's the prize, Lou?

Oh, sorry. It's not a contest. I keep forgetting.

Ralph VK3LL
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK3LL wrote:
But, in the interests of helping people "point their panels with pinpoint precision" we'll most likely be at QF12VG (near Enfield) as it has a good path to Geelong and VK5.

Ralph VK3LL
Yes very good but don't forget Contest Radar. Using the CSV export you can take a sheet of paper with you that will tell you where everyone will be. Best bet is to add/refresh your details on the radar on Saturday night.
VK3LL wrote:
What's the prize, Lou? Oh, sorry. It's not a contest. I keep forgetting.

Ralph VK3LL
While is is not a contest I think the prize is way better than a certificate. The prize is a sense of camaraderie and appreciation from everyone else who makes the effort to go out and have some fun that day.
VK3KQ wrote:
Can we have it go a little longer say 10.00 am to 2.00 pm for some guaranteed repeat contacts.

Damien/Ralph VK3KQ
No reason why you can't get out earlier and stay out until late. The point of the nominated 2 hour block is to ensure a busy couple of hours for those that can't spare a whole morning or day. If you make it longer the chances of everyone working everyone else start to diminish.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

VK3ALB POLITELY SAID:
a sense of camaraderie and appreciation from everyone
Sorry Lou, I don't understand how this relates to a prize :crazy:

Okay, I am only kidding :lol: And just to become a bit more serious for a moment, I do support your sentiments.

A couple of points:

Damian and I are quite excited to support this initiative and we view it as a really great investment for the future of the hobby. What we'd really like to know is: where would you like us to go?

You see, we recognise that one of the exciting and most encouraging moments is when you make that first "DX" contact on the uWave bands. So we're prepared to set up anywhere (within reason) to give all the 3.4GHz "panel people" something to aim for (pun intended) over a reasonably long haul, say 200-300kms or so. So we'd be quite happy to drive a bit out of town, just to give Geelong and VK5 ops the best chance of making it a bit more fun with a QSO over a bit of space. So, we were sort of serious when we asked "tell us where to go" as we'd value your suggestions.

The second point is that because it takes us a few hours to setup (and packup) our mast and dish (and espresso machine, gazebo, portaloo) we ideally would like to operate for a bit more than 2 hours. But now that I have read your explanation, it makes perfect sense and I now understand the timing imperatives.

Looking forward to catching up soon.
Ralph VK3LL
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Ralph,

Those using panels barefoot can expect contacts out past 100km with relative ease and as I reported after the winter field day I did make a difficult contact with VK3APW out to 170km but it was quite difficult. This may have been the path or perhaps the true limit of the panels. There are many panel out there and I hope this day will encourage the owners of those panels to complete their projects. There will however be some more well endowed stations in the Geelong area and probably the Melbourne and Ballarat area. While the idea may have come out of Geelong we do speak to each other on a regular basis so we'd really like work as many others outside of Geelong as we can.

Where would I like you to go? Somewhere you can maximise your exposure to other VK3's without limiting yourself and missing out on potential activity in VK5 or even VK2. I can't really be less direct than that can I?

I think we forget or perhaps don't even know how little power those intrepid microwavers from last century used to make their contacts. As a bit of inspiration, take a look at whatMike VK3UBM did a few years ago on field day. Check the signal reports he gets from VK5DK towards the end of the video.

Mike VK3UBM
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3AV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AV »

I am looking forward to this day and plan to be at a local vantage point - Frank Thompson Reserve in Kinglake.

Lets see what distance I can get from 500+m ASL with a clear shot over the Greater Melbourne area. :D

Regards
Bernard
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

VK3ALB wrote:
This may have been the path or perhaps the true limit of the panels
Nah, it'll be the path profile. If I recall correctly, those panel transverters produce 400mW output into 18dBi gain antennas. An unobstructed path of 500 km incurs a loss of 157dB at 3.4GHz. A similar panel transverter would receive a signal at -95dBm...... almost S9.

Now if only the Earth was flat.........

Chas
VK3PY
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: 3.4 GHz QSO Party

Post by VK3ALB »

Just bumping to remind everyone that's getting closer and for those that may not have seen the original posts.

It occurs to me that this may also be of interests to the SOTA community and I don't suppose there are many opportunities for SOTA on 3.4GHz. So to kick things off I will be operational from Flinders Peak VK3/VC-030 using a panel and Chris VK3ACG will be operational from Mt Macedon VK3/VC-007 running substantially more power. Of course other Geelong operators will be on hilltops too and we'll try to get them all listed here as the day draws closer.

How is everyone else going?
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Only 36 days to go folks! I know we have conversion activity happening at the GARC and I saw VK5KK had his panel out on the weekend. How is everyone else going?
Lou - VK3ALB

VK5KK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5KK »

Here is a photo from the tech night at EARC a week ago with mods on a few panels.
Photo3.jpg
We have a tech night again next Wednesday so we hope to have a few finished!

Cheers

David VK5KK
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi All,

25 days to go and it's time to start ramping up the preparations. I know in the Geelong area we are well on the way with our preparations with more panels and transverters being completed in the last week. A certain VK4 may be pleased to learn that a 20W XDK transverter is almost ready to go and just requires a bit of a tune-up to be complete.

Looking around Geelong we have seven definite starters for the day, VK3ACG, VK3ALB, VK3NW, VK3PY, VK3QM, VK3TU, VK3ZPK plus we think we might manage two more if they complete their panels. Out to the south west I know VK3PP is jumping out of his skin to make a contact and this afternoon I spoke to someone in the Ballarat area and we think there could be four stations set up in the area.

Closer to Melbourne I have commitments from VK3APW, VK3HY, VK3KQ, VK3MY, VK3QI, VK3XPD. Much further out I hope I can entice VK3BQJ, VK3WRE and VK5DK to come out too. These three will definitely be the DX for those close to Geelong & Melbourne.

So, leaving out the maybes and the possible DX it looks like almost 20 stations within range of each other in VK3 - perhaps there are more that I don't know about? If I remember correctly, a number of them ended up at the EMDRC - how are they going?

What's happening in the other states? I know panels have gone to VK1, VK2, VK4 and VK7.

Note for those that may have missed it that the panel conversion process has become simpler and as Dave VK2JDS so rightly pointed out every panel can now be converted into a transverter and as mentioned elsewhere there is a new version of the conversion guide available.

For those of you that have missed out on this exciting project we will have more panels at the Werribee Hamfest. It takes less than 8 hours to modify a panel, if you pick one up at the hamfest you could have it on the air in time for the 3.4GHz QSO party the following weekend.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Hi Lou,
Here in sydney we are also planning a similar 9cm activity morning (same date) and have several starters.
Looking for any further expressions of interest from vk2 stations to post in here please or email me at vk2jds@hotmail.com
73 Dave
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Great news Dave,

Our preparations are progressing well and tomorrow night we'll be having a bit of a test & tune & show off of systems that have been built recently. We're looking forward to the big day.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK2MB (Manly Warringah club) will be operating from Terrey Hills thanks to Dave VK2JDS's generous assistance with the 3.4GHz units :thumbup:

Happy to volunteer our repeater 146.875(-0.6) for coordination on the day unless somebody has a better idea. At this stage we are thinking to set up for the same 10am-noon timeslot as the VK3's but flexible with time.
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

I can confirm that Peter VK3WK will be operating from Mt. Anakie (QF22DC, Mad Max territory and QTH of the Geelong Amateur Radio Club's "northern" repeater & beacon facility). Peter will be using the 3.4GHz panel transverter I completed last weekend. So that's one more station in the greater Geelong region.

Whilst it might be a little late for this event, visitors to this coming weekend's Werribee hamfest will have the opportunity of obtaining these panel links. Look for the GARC stand. It should be easy to find. Our members will be sporting their usual hamfest attire, the Hawaiian shirt (one has to dress appropriately for these occasions!). They can direct you to the GARC tables.

I am pretty sure there will be another 3.4GHz activity day before winter.

Chas
VK3PY