60m allocation and EIRP

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Re: 60m allocation and EIRP

Post by VK4TS »

Doug answered your question -

On 60 metres your losses via hardware are minimal in the calculation. ACMA will need to introduce managable standards and as has been alluded this will be more likely by way of a fixed wattage output....

This is of course if the current users are moved off the allocation. With the numbers there and the $25M Foreign aid funded Pacific Health networks currently on 60M I would doubt we will ever see the band introduced into VK. Because at the end of the day it is up to ACMA to agree to it's implementation.
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Wow, only one of you has come anywhere near answering the question
You don't really think that we are going to put the practical before the politics do you Lou? - very modern un-ham like :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4WDM wrote:
You don't really think that we are going to put the practical before the politics do you Lou? - very modern un-ham like :mrgreen:

Wayne VK4WDM
Yes Wayne I did. Sadly for us as a group, only VK4ADC and VK4TI came close with the information I needed. It ain't just antenna gain & feedline loss, there's a small matter of antenna efficiency and that's not written on the packet that the antenna comes in.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Lou

My remark was very :J I am glad you got the info.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

ACMA
EIRP
Oxymoron
as in SMARTMETERS under class licences running 1 watt eirp in 850 MHZ band causing medical problems for residents , and making base stations 50 km away using external antenna??

All smart meters have an internal antenna. Smart meters are owned and installed by Victoria’s five electricity distributors. In some instances the distributor may attach a small external antenna to the meter box at the time of installation.

Yeah and the grunt gets out his laptop plugs into a hot to ac radio receiver and reduces the power down -2.5 db
AS IF

EIRP

who is going to come and visit and what power meter will the hook up?
An OSCARBLOK??
get over this paranoid thinking about ACMA
Last time saw an RI was in 1989 and he retired.
Didn't even come when I got 1KW on 6M and HF KW priviledges
You guys need to move on.
OWNER ONUS applies just like it does in USA for 1500 watts.
All ACMA do is put a notation on your licence which if you haven't noticed now fills the page
ONUS ON YOU.. no one else.
As for getting 60m fooling yourselves.
and like 463 kHz who needs it..

:J :J :J
Tread your own path :om:
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

So, the well-designed and built quarterwave vertical antenna with 90% efficiency will have a gain of 0.9? Near enough to unity.

There is a lot of water under the bridge still to pass. It took how many years after WARC '79 till we could use the 30, 17 and 12 m bands? Three, IIRC?

I would just use my big doublet with balanced coupler, at home. I will run the antenna modelling on it sometime for an indication of it's radiation efficiency on 5 MHz, and wind back the power accordingly.

The Yank DXers and some others are already trying to work as many countries as they can on 60 m. ARRL does NOT include 60 m in the DXCC programme.

Their limit is something like 100 watts into an antenna like a dipole. I bet some have already used 1500 watts. As the number of countries with Amateur allocations increases (already around 100) there will be the potential for some to start pileups across two or more channels.

The band would certainly be interesting for daytime local communications. I have a mobile whip with a 60 m tap and my TS-480 has the band enabled. Certainly a good capability to have for emcomms.

Luke VK3HJ
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Thanks everyone, looks like I can stop wringing my hands for at least a couple of years.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Looks like some people are still getting their licenses out of a Weeties box.

David
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK3AUU wrote:Looks like some people are still getting their licenses out of a Weeties box.

David
Looks like you're a grumpy old man who is so protective of his knowledge that he'd rather taunt people than help them. It is obvious I don't know the answer (I now have a fair idea) so other than making a joke which I've never heard before you have not helped my understanding one iota.

In case you missed it VK4ADC and VK4TI gave the best (IMWO) answers and it greatly helped with my understanding. It ain't just antenna gain & feedline loss, there's the matter of antenna efficiency and that wasn't written on the packet that the antenna or my license comes in.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I have been active in AR for nearly 55 yrs but I am still learning heaps and still ask, what might be called a silly question by some, either to increase my own knowledge, prompt me to remember something, or prompt others to think about something. The only really silly question is the question that is never asked!

With regard to a 60m allocation, the simple way forward, at least in the short term, would be for the WIA to ask the ACMA for a couple of low-power, narrow, digital-only channels so that hams could do some experimenting on the capability of the spectrum.

Wayne VK4WDM :om: (but usually not grumpy :D )