What are people using for computer logging on VHF contests?

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
ZL1SWW
Forum Novice

What are people using for computer logging on VHF contests?

Post by ZL1SWW »

Hi All,
I have been reviewing what I use for VHF contest logging when up in the hills. Historically I have used VKCL as it seems to be a nice simple entry method. I have a few issues with it in that it - A) Does not log in NZ local time, (we use this in our logging). B) Shows repeat contacts as dupes (we are allowed to work the same station every consecutive hour on each band).

To get around the timing issue, I bodge the system time to make the log timestamp contacts in local time. I export the plain text into Excel to massage later.
I have also been looking into N1MM logger and just started looking at it and trying to configure it to work for our NZ VHF contests.

I am not sure if anyone is using it in VK or ZL for VHF contests but some nice to haves are as follows:

Each band increments its serial number from 1. IE, 2 m starts at 1, 70 cm starts at 1 and so on. (Don’t want the same number sequence spread across all the bands worked.)

Logs in the local time, not UTC.

Repeat contacts per band per hour are not counted as dupes.

Simple entry method. Not too much mousing around to get to fields.

I would be interested to see what people are using to accomplish VHF contest logging. Anyone written a custom config for N1MM? The ZL VHF logging has a complex scoring scheme such as the distance multiplied by 0.X where X is dependent on band. EG 32 cm maybe multiplied by 0.5.

Cheers,

Simon
ZL1SWW
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Re: What are people using for computer logging on VHF contes

Post by VK4TS »

Why not ask the author VK3AVV whether he is able to add support for ZL contests ?

Regarding N1MM+ - we use this on HF and have created individual contest files for local support.

The contest you are describing seems as though it would be simple to create a User Defined Contest Module (UDC) in N1MM..

Can you post a link to the rules ?

another alternative is W3KMs VHF UHF Logger -

Regards
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
vk1da
Forum Diehard

Post by vk1da »

Hi Simon

The requirement for separate sequence numbers per band can be met by using the multi-op option in VKCL. I use that. I then have to edit my output TXT file to change the Section, Update the header on each page saying Multi-op to Single-Op, and I'm done.

I find continuous sequences across all bands are not good for my paper logging. I keep each band on a separate page. I can just issue the next number on each page as I work people. In addition, having a separate sequence per band means when you throw from band 1 to band 2, the station worked is unable to guess the number, even subconsciously.

As for using VKCL with a different set of rules, logging in local time, different band multipliers, I would recommend contacting Mike VK3AVV. He has a ton of contests in there already and I think he has got the customisation process down to a fine art.
Andrew Davis VK1DA Canberra, VK2UH Yass
http://vkfaq.ampr.org
http://vk1da.net
http://vk9na.com
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

Can VKCL run in a Linux environment, wine etc..?

I run Digital modes on Linux, so now have to have a 2nd laptop.
vk1da
Forum Diehard

Post by vk1da »

http://www.mnds.com.au/vkcl/ is the principal source of info about VKCL. No mention of Linux versions. But best to contact Mike direct there is an email contact shown on that page in image format for spammer protection, so I won't repeat it here.

cheers
Andrew Davis VK1DA Canberra, VK2UH Yass
http://vkfaq.ampr.org
http://vk1da.net
http://vk9na.com
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

LOGEQF since 1978 all ops incl dxpeditions and all contests
Tread your own path :om:
VK3HY
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3HY »

I am using VKCL in the Post-Contest Entry Mode for my Spring Field Day Log. In the heat of the FD action, I inadvertently issued serial numbers 058 and 059 twice, that is my good old reliable hand written log shows that I gave out numbers 057 058 059 058 059 060 and so on.....I plead temporary insanity. }:[

The 'Edit QSO Box has an option to tick a box to select 're-sequence sent serial numbers' I've ticked the box nothing seems to happen. What I need to do is log the actual sent serial numbers that I gave out (repeat 058 and 059) then continue on to 060.

Can anyone help me with this please; or do I have to read the instructions? :eh:

Gavin, VK3HY
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi Gavin,

F1 is your friend in VKCL the help files are very good. However all you need to do click on set serial below the mode selection and then type the serial number you want to issue in the box that appears.

This is what I get in my log

Spring VHF-UHF Field Day Contest 2015 CallSign: VK3ALB
Sectn: C2a: Home station,, 8 hours, Single Band (All Bands)

Time Band Mode Call Sign Nmbr Nmbr Points Acvt Wrkd
(UTC) (Frq) Sent Rcvd Lctr Lctr

Start of 8 hour period.
07:56 50 SSB 3UHF 59001 59001 21 QF21GT QF21CU
07:56 50 SSB VK3HY 59034 59001 11 qf21gt QF22PD
07:56 50 SSB VK3XPD 59034 59001 1 qf21gt qf22nd
End of 8 hour period.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3HY
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3HY »

Lou

Thanks for your help with my query. I've been keeping a paper log for more than 50 years - not quite back to the quill and parchment era but a long time nonetheless. I've no real incentive to change but I have been using VKCL for FD entries recently because it seems paper logs are no longer appreciated. The VKCL post contest entry mode suits me at the moment. As a solo field day operator, I reckon I'd need to grow another head and an extra pair of hands to use computer logging real time in the FD environment. Perhaps this might happen with just a little more exposure to RF fields. I'll see what I can do. :D

73 Gavin, VK3HY
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

VK3HY wrote:I am using VKCL in the Post-Contest Entry Mode for my Spring Field Day Log. In the heat of the FD action, I inadvertently issued serial numbers 058 and 059 twice, that is my good old reliable hand written log shows that I gave out numbers 057 058 059 058 059 060 and so on.....I plead temporary insanity. }:[

The 'Edit QSO Box has an option to tick a box to select 're-sequence sent serial numbers' I've ticked the box nothing seems to happen. What I need to do is log the actual sent serial numbers that I gave out (repeat 058 and 059) then continue on to 060.

Can anyone help me with this please; or do I have to read the instructions? :eh:

Gavin, VK3HY

It is interesting to note the detail in this extract from the Spring FD rules:

About Contest Exchanges
RS or RST reports, a serial number, and your 6-character Maidenhead locator (the SubSquare). The Maidenhead locator is optional if it has already been exchanged in a previous contact during the Field Day and neither station has moved since then. Note that Squares must be used for Division 1 scoring calculations.

It does not specify that the numbers must be sequential (only that one must be exchanged) so a stuff-up in your number sequence should be left alone, retaining the duplicated numbers so that all subsequent contact details are still correct and the exchanges correspond to the other persons' log.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Thanks Doug. You beat me to it. :clap:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3HY
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3HY »

VK4ADC wrote: "It does not specify that the numbers must be sequential (only that one must be exchanged) so a stuff-up in your
number sequence should be left alone, retaining the duplicated numbers so that all subsequent contact details are still correct
and the exchanges correspond to the other persons' log".

This was always understood and it is what I was attempting to do whilst transcribing my parchment log across to VKCL. I've inadvertently repeated numbers before and sometimes I've even skipped 20 or so numbers as a tactic to make a competitor 'nervous'. The problem I had in this case was how to record the repeated numbers against the appropriate contacts in VKCL. I couldn't find the answer in the Help Files but Lou VK3ALB came to the rescue and pointed out the bleeding obvious.

73 Gavin, VK3HY
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Now that things are settling down here, I'm planning to enter the 2016 Summer Field Day.

In a recent clean up, I noticed a roll of fine vellum. Next time that pesky starling that terrorises the neighbourhood lorikeets using our back patio as a fort, I'm gonna score one of his tail feathers and I'll be set.

I still have to work out how to digitise the vellum log. Oh, yes! :idea: Scan and OCR it. Done ! :mrgreen:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
ZL1SWW
Forum Novice

Post by ZL1SWW »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input, interesting to see about the tactics of skipping numbers to get people nervous. I have seen that when people increment the same number group across bands. Gives you a little scare until you then work them on another band and find you get the next number.
Agree about not resequencing at then the other contact's numbers will be up the whack and the contest manager may void the contact if they don't tie up.

I like VKCL and have used the multi op mode to get the individual sequences. I would really love it that you could have an tick box option to use local time.

I remember asking Mike about it some years back but he didn't seem to interested in having the option but maybe I'll try again. It was about 5 years or so ago that I asked so maybe time to try again.

Our crazy scoring system in ZL then requires you to output the log in text and then massage in Excel.

Check out http://www.nzart.org.nz/activities/cont ... -and-above and see clause 12 for those who are interested. Makes a hell of a lot of post processing! I better get my macro skills honed (of which I have none!).

Cheers,

Simon
ZL1SWW