Electromagnetic Compatibility, TVI, BCI, etc Interference Issues
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

More re NBN interference.

Post by VK3RX »

THE AUSTRALIAN NOVEMBER 14, 2015

NBN hook-up sparks fear of missing fire alerts

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/na ... 7608391372

Interesting, the company claiming interference when the NBN is switched off, yet the lady says
Ms Townsing denied there was interference to her AM radio reception with NBN turned off. “If I switch off the NBN, the radio is fine,” she said.
Damien VK3RX
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: More re NBN interference.

Post by VK4TI »

Without some real facts I have to call b/s most probable
VK7AP

Post by VK7AP »

I've been talking to this lady for months about all these issues. NBN elected to fix the problem at the destination, by giving her a new Sangean radio and an external loop antenna for MW located 100mtrs away from the ODU V2. I wasn't satisfied with that approach. So got NBN to fix it at the source ODU V2

The Wireless Institute of Australia supports move on NBN Fixed Wireless interference complaints.

A technical solution to fix spurious emissions that comes from the NBN Fixed Wireless network has been found.

http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

Skybridge and Ericsson Field Services Engineering Officers spent an afternoon retrofitting a custom ODU V2 and isolation kit to the tripod, plus shielded cabling to the NTD as a directive from the Wireless institute of Australia's legislative framework on ACMA Radio Frequency compliance mandates.

This has now fixed the problem with the interference to the HF /MW communications systems at my QTH.

The full transcript of the technical analysis of the faults on the NBN Fixed Wireless can be found below.

https://community.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/N ... ad-message

Hope this information helps! It has literally taken months of campaigning to eventually win this fight!!

Steen - VK7AP
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

This shows how our EMI/EMC standards have failed in this situation. For Commercial EMI/EMC standards are only applied conducted emissions are measured below 30MHz. Radiated Emissions levels are applied above 30MHz. No surprise we are seeing issues with high radiated emissions.
Mounting the modem unit external to the house and having a long run of POE (Power over Ethernet) isn't real clever. One thing worth investigating is shielded cable and additional common mode filters on the Ethernet.
Time for the WIA to lobby the people sitting on the committees formulating EMI/EMC standards.
Allan.
VK2EFM
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

Well done Steen, and to the WIA.

It would be nice to think they will do the same with ALL installations from now on, rather than continue with a standard install and only react if someone complains.

It will be a tad difficult if we get interference from a neighbour's installation, and they don't have a problem because (say) they only listen to FM radio.
Damien VK3RX
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

Thanks for the info.

While I haven't noticed any interference from our NBN Wireless system, I'll do a more in depth test.

I have an NBN tech coming sometime in the next week to fix issues with ours constantly dropping out, so will talk to him about retro fitting the "cure" anyway.
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

I have made a complaint, see how we go.

My NBN Fixed Wireless wipes out all MF/HF in the house and 10m around it. The shack and antennas are 50m away but noise is still there.

just like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkM-bif7S54
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK4TU
Forum Novice

Post by VK4TU »

This month's RadCom (magazine of the UK ham society RSGB) has an article about VDSL interference. This is the wonderful new "mixed" technology or Fibre to the Node. It focuses on how it just raises background noise and so is hard to detect, but to focus on the guard bands between carriers and check for a drop in noise. I'll dig out further details if anyone wants. Fibre would have been a better technical solution than forcing HF down cat3 cable designed for 4KHz.
Joe