Mixing VK & Dx calls on 50.110 is not working

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

Mixing VK & Dx calls on 50.110 is not working

Post by VK4WDM »

During the last few days we have had TEP openings to JA and openings to Southern VK occurring at the same time which is quite normal for this time of the year.

Unfortunately most of the VKs, which are quite weak, are calling on 50.110 and are being wiped out by the louder JA's.

I am not being picky about the band plan, but if you guys down there want to work Nth QLD please call on 50.2 and we will hear you. I routinely listen on 50.110, 50.2, and 52.1.

Wayne VK4WDM :om:
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Re: Mixing VK & Dx calls on 50.110 is not working

Post by VK6ZFG »

If only we had this problem in VK6!
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Igor

It was a s funny as a cage of monkeys yesterday. The JAs were into Townsville and our beacon was being heard in VK2 and VK5. I heard some weak VKs calling CQ on .110 and assumed that they were chasing the JAs so I ignored them, but they weren't hearing JA and were looking for contacts in Townsville. A well known VK2 6m op emailed me to tell me that I was being a snob :D Meanwhile 50.2 and 52.1 were QRM free :roll:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

This upcoming VHF/UHF Field Day will have us on 50.150, so should we go
50.200 ?

Alan VK2ZIW
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

You'll hear plenty of contest traffic on 50.150 but it wouldn't hurt to look up on 52MHz for standard licensees and tune around a bit.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2TMO
Forum Novice

Post by VK2TMO »

It will never change , Its hard to believe you can squeeze so many problem people into just one band.
VK4BG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4BG »

Yep...right on time as usual...the hoary old chestnut of " Calling on 50.110...who can, who can't and who shouldn't .

The first indication of Summer !

Glenn
VK4BG
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Glen

I really do like working VKs and I hope that VKs like to work me, but I need to hear them.

I think that the main problem is that VKs further south just don't realise how strong the TEP propagation is up here. All of the JA during the recent openings were S9+ and pointing the beam south does not make a lot of difference. Trying to hear fluttery E sigs is almost hopeless. The few stns I worked after they called on 50.2 were easy to hear. I did not hear any on 52.1 after several calls.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK6ZFG wrote:If only we had this problem in VK6!
What problem the one about obsessive compulsive disorder.
6M ops, live in gold fish bowl like the sardines at Monterey

http://montereybayaquarium.typepad.com/ ... 970b-popup
Tread your own path :om:
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Steve

Obsessive compulsive disorder that occurs every 11 years. That must be something new to medical science :mrgreen:

This is not really a serious post. What happened last Thursday afternoon was extremely funny. In the end I gave up trying to work anyone because of the chaos. I think we have lost the art of listening, not just in AR, but in society generally.

Wayne VK4WDM :om:
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

btw guys in the contests i tend to listen to 52.100 and 52.150 i've worked plenty of people up there contest or just openings worked all the states in vk ja and zl all above 52 in the past 12 months. If the band is open drag me out of the hf room i have 4 elements @ 40' so it works ok.also given a little time i can set up jt65 for 52.276.
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

Silly question, but what's wrong with a post on VK logger saying the JAs are hammering you on 110, try 200????? :shock:
Allan
VK2EFM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Allan

Yep, did that several times and some did move to .2, but not all ops use the logger. We had mixed TEP and sporadic E today too but the word must have got around because the VKs spread out more and the JAs were also being heard further south.

That what makes 6m such a fun band :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

Someone has to take the fall...might as well be you Wayne :J

regards
Gary
VK8AW - where the only thing that mixes well is JD and cola :D
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Gary
the only thing that mixes well is JD and cola
You have been away from VK4 for too long, its Bundy and Cola :D

Been a very poor E season here. A couple of 6m openings down to VK7. One to VK8 and VK6. Nothing on 2m.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK1KW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK1KW »

Hello VK4's,

I think you see the problem of calling CQ on 50.110 from your point of view.

Have a look at it from the point of view from us guys down south.
Everybody is listening on 50.110 so no amount of calling by us on any other frequency is pointless and it would be nice for us to have a 6m DX contact occasionally. Even with a VK4.
The 6m openings down south don't even compare to the number what you have up there in VK4.
50.200 is a dodo unless you know someone is listening or calling there.
It is amazing how many people just listen.

So it would be nice if VK4's would call towards JA vice just listening for them to call, and then replying. If we don't know you are there we will be clobbering your Rx.

From my point of view, it is ok to call on 50.110 anytime provided the frequency is not in use and it is not done every 2 minutes. (or 5)
Its the old story, call or answer a call on 50.110 and move off it.

Of course we down south on a small city block are very jealous of your VK4 DX locations so please give us a fair go and send some of the DX down here.
Regards
Rob
VK1KW
VK8VTX
Forum Novice

Post by VK8VTX »

"Everybody is listening on 50.110 so no amount of calling by us on any other frequency is pointless"

oh! happy days :) :) now this is how i feel sitting on 52.100 all day long.

so lets get a bigger perspective on the matter. :)
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I think you see the problem of calling CQ on 50.110 from your point of view.
Hi Bob

I think you have this the wrong way around. It was the southern VK's problem not my problem. They were hearing our beacon and were calling north on 50.110 expecting a reply from this area but the JA's were blasting in here and simply wiping the the VK sigs out.

I was not being pedantic about call frequencies, just pointing out that if you guys really want to work into northern VK4 avoid 50.110 calling when TEP and Es are both occurring together. It does not happen very often.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4KAY
Forum Novice

Post by VK4KAY »

Wayne

having lived most of my life in northern vk4 i understand your problem. you can have tropo,E's and F2 all at the same time and the noise from north of vk including pirates, 49.750 etc can
cause a headache to hear anything on 50.110 below s9+ - especially with the dog piles from our enthusiastic friends including multiple modes (phone cw and rtty) bleeding all over 50.110.
And it wont matter how good your radio is or how big your antenna. It makes it worse. 49.750 at +60/9 is a challenge in itself.

A suggestion, perhaps some audio recordings would help people to understand what you hear.
Apart from that, those that want a taste of what it is like, listen to 27.005 or 27.025 when the AM carriers are S9+ and the voices are just noise blended together.
Try to copy that weak station.
Sometimes when the signals are so strong, you just have to turn it all off.

Andru
vk4kay
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Of course we down south on a small city block are very jealous of your VK4 DX locations so please give us a fair go and send some of the DX down here.

You are kdding right?

bleat bleat wah where is the KH9 cant work him wahhh :popcorn:

Live in VK4 with a bunch of banana benders?

Pass.. :om: Mexico rules OK :om:
Tread your own path :om: