What will happen to decommissioned NDB equipment?

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

What will happen to decommissioned NDB equipment?

Post by VK4WDM »

According to another thread, the majority of Australia's Non-directional beacons (NDBs) are to be decommissioned.

I wonder what will happen to the equipment? It would be a very valuable resource for the 600m ham band, especially the tuning and loading mechanisms.

Perhaps the WIA and/or radio clubs should make a representation to the appropriate department. It would be a pity to see it crushed and go to land fill.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4GJW

Re: What will happen to decommissioned NDB equipment?

Post by VK4GJW »

Which is precisely where it will go! They will always go for the easy option, which is crush and destroy. Dealing with the WIA and other clubs would involve time and effort and consultation, and time is MONEY! Dont hold your breath on this one.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4GJW wrote:Which is precisely where it will go! They will always go for the easy option, which is crush and destroy. Dealing with the WIA and other clubs would involve time and effort and consultation, and time is MONEY! Dont hold your breath on this one.
Yup. Suggest you make friends with the local NDB service guy and see if you can't help him chuck it out.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

The Townsville NDB is on the RAAF base so I have a bit of a leg in. I will see what I can do :wink:

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

Townsville isn't planned to be decommissioned.

FWIW there are about 260 NDBs Australia wide, most owned by Airservices and the others owned privately and by Defence. 112 will remain Australia wide.

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/n ... annexg.pdf
http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/wp- ... 2-V1.1.pdf

I expect much of the equipment will be held onto by the various parties for spares, training etc., but some ex-Airservices items turn up from time to time via various sources.
Damien VK3RX
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

RAAF Amberley's NDB is alive and well and not in line for decomissioning. Still pumping out on 359Khz.
RAAF Amberley NDB1.jpg
VK5TX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5TX »

I wouldn't want one of the RAAF NDB. They are big and old (40years). It's easier to spend $50 on some fets and other bits and make something smaller than a shoe box not mod a whole rack.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I agree that the TX/RX is not of much interest (except maybe the amplifier module). I have a solid state transverter, but tricky bit, at least for me, is getting an antenna that is going to work OK at 600m in a small space and the NDBs have a very good antenna matching system that could be useful.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HJ »

No matter how good the matching system, you still need enough radiating element to radiate some energy. This can be as simple as some wire, preferably with top loading, such as a tee antenna.

As for matching, a Variometer is not hard to build.