Rotator recommendation

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Rotator recommendation

Post by VK7HH »

Hi All,
I currently have a Kenpro KR400, which I think is essentially a Yaesu G-450A rotator nowadays?

Anyway, single 11 element 2m yagi, 6m long boom and a 2 element 6m moxon are on my rotator at present. The rotator is bolted in the centre of the tower.

Problem is when the wind blows... my antennas get spun around in the wind too easily. Braking is very poor on these rotators.
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good proper rotator that won't break the budget too much, preferably with the same mounting holes, so I'm probably restricted to Yaesu then?
rotator.jpg
I want to build a 1 wavelength 6m beam to replace the moxon.... and I think any sort of light breeze will make my antenna system a hills hoist.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: Rotator recommendation

Post by VK4TI »

Well either buy a much larger braked unit or make your own rotator , for around $100.00 purchase off ebay a suitable work gear drive industrial gearbox , add a motor and controller and like the one I built uber strong and wont rotate due to the mechanical design of the gears , no brake required
VK7DB

Post by VK7DB »

Have you inspected the brake in there? Is the mast clamped tight into the top? My KR400 controlled the 2m array with no problems, and when I removed the rotator controller to use for another job the antenna didn't move..
VK3KTO
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KTO »

I have had a KR400 up in the air for over 20 years with no troubls at all. the antennas are a 2 element TET Emtron triband and a 3 element 6 metre yagi. Once I found that the antennas had moved but when I looked I found that all that happened was that the top mast clamp had worked a little loose.
73 de Mike VK3KTO