Securing coax to colorbond roof.

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Securing coax to colorbond roof.

Post by VK7ZA »

I have to run some coax (RG213) down my colorbond roof, and was hoping there is an elegant way of securing it to the roof (short of blobs of silicone). In my mind, I see something like a figure of eight, twisted at 90deg in the middle, such that one loop can go round a roofing screw, and the other secure the cable.

This thread (http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 44&t=10783) says to house the coax in some electrical conduit which may be an option. Same question though, how would I secure it?

So, what fastners are you aware of, and/or how have you done it?

Ta,
Lance
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: Securing coax to colorbond roof.

Post by VK4TI »

The easiest way imho is clamps , which ones ?, well I use rubber lined clamps available from most anyone who deals in hydraulic hose , using the existing bolts holding the roof down meaning the cable will be held out of the trough and kept mostly dry and secure

Basically a strip of metal with rubber lining wrapped about the tube and held by a securing bolt

Good luck
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK7HH »

Why do you need to secure the coax?

Run it down a ridge, create a drip point under the eaves and then go from there.
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

VK7HH wrote:Why do you need to secure the coax?

Run it down a ridge, create a drip point under the eaves and then go from there.
Wind wind blow blow thump slap. Not conducive to a happy wife in the middle of the night!
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK7HH »

VK7LDC wrote:
VK7HH wrote:Why do you need to secure the coax?

Wind wind blow blow thump slap. Not conducive to a happy wife in the middle of the night!

OK I see.
I don't seem to notice this on my shed roof while I am out there... perhaps the wind noise is louder than any coax movement.
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

My solar hot water tubing is glued down with a specific type of silicone. If you can't google it then let me know & I can find the tube in the back of the shed.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

Hi Lance

No suggestion on the cable fixing but I would recommend to you that you consider running the RG213 in 1/2" poly pipe. That's what I now do with all my cables. It keeps the sun of the cable and they last longer.
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK7HH »

VK6ZFG wrote: That's what I now do with all my cables. It keeps the sun of the cable and they last longer.
You shouldn't need to run coax inside a pipe purely to keep it out of the sun. Proper RG-213 is UV stabilised. The pipe will more likely degrade and be a maintenance item. Might be good to stop birds attacking, which is not a problem here in southern VK7.
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

VK6ZFG wrote:It keeps the sun of the cable and they last longer.
What is this "sun" you speak of? :eh:
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

I have found that my RG213 cables (proper brands) all last longer when enclosed in the poly pipe. UV stabilision means is that UV deterioration is reduced (but not eliminated). UV deterioration is a problem over here.
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

As an alternative to conduit, this stuff... http://www.marley.co.nz/products/cable- ... /trunking/ is available in various sizes.
To fix to the iron one could remove roofing screws and then refit with the trunking between the screw and iron. ( or you could use a blob of gorilla snot ) :roll:
Best part is the top can be removed making for easy installation of the cables, no need to thread the cable through.

When I built my tube amp I used this stuff to conceal the internal wiring, makes for a neat job and additional wiring can be added with ease.

Mark
2WHO
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2BKC »

Not quite the correct orientation, but I got these from the sale bin at Bunnings earlier in the year (after Christmas I guess...)
Should be ok for a horizontal run if you push them under the tile. Not sure about a vertical run.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444642571.618974.jpg
Given the size of the Xmas light industry there could be a better option if you search around in a few weeks time when they start to hit the shelfs.

Wayne
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

ZL2WHO wrote:As an alternative to conduit, this stuff... http://www.marley.co.nz/products/cable- ... /trunking/ is available in various sizes.
Yes Mark,

This is what I'm using for runs along walls. I'm not going to bother enclosing the coax on the roof at the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding enclosing the coax on the roof. At this point, I won't bother. If it turns out to cause issues, mkII will see it enclosed.

Lance
VK7ZA
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7ZA »

Just to provide closure for all those following this thread and losing sleep wondering how I got on...

I followed Hayden's suggestion and didn't bother securing it at all, just let it hand down the 45 degree pitch with a loop where it round the gutter providing a bit of tension. In that time we've had our usual big winds, and despite the proximity to our bedroom window, have never heard the coax slap once. As such, it will stay unsecured for the foreseeable future.

Lance
Last edited by VK7ZA on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK7LDC wrote:I have to run some coax (RG213) down my colorbond roof, and was hoping there is an elegant way of securing it to the roof (short of blobs of silicone). In my mind, I see something like a figure of eight, twisted at 90deg in the middle, such that one loop can go round a roofing screw, and the other secure the cable.

This thread (http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 44&t=10783) says to house the coax in some electrical conduit which may be an option. Same question though, how would I secure it?

So, what fastners are you aware of, and/or how have you done it?

Ta,
Lance
silastic dissolves metal

NYLON Cable battery saddles no corrosion secure under colour bond screws and mount face down on side of ridge qed
Tread your own path :om:
VK2GFR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GFR »

Lance,
Whilst this thread may well be drawing to a close... :eh:
My runs of RG213/RG8/Rotator cable just lay upon the clip-lock roof (at my old house)
The idea of putting all of them in PVC tube had been thought of but the ONLY cable to suffer from the elements was the rotator cable.
The shield had been exposed in quite a few places, but it still worked well. :D
BUT when it came to turning around & entering underneath the guttering, I put a few Zip Ties pointing long end down into the gutter.
Never had any moisture at all!
Sort of puts a different slant on having to manufacture a drip loop out of the coax, eh? :wink:
At my new re-build, I'm going to do the same with the zip ties just before it enters the breather holes in the brick work.
***RF Radio coax at top.
***TV coax lower down.
Attachments
Roof tiles not finished as yet.
Roof tiles not finished as yet.
Mark, VK2GFR
Seven Hills
QF56LF
VK3FLSR

Post by VK3FLSR »

Maybe have a look at conduit saddles, or cable clips? Run them down the rafter, so you have something to secure them to. You may want to still use some silicon to ensure that there are no leaks, but at least that way you can restrict the movement.
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

If you go down the silicon adhesive path use the gutter sealant type as it is not corrosive to metal like the more common silicon adhesive.
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG