Looking for tolerant low signal digital mode

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Looking for tolerant low signal digital mode

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello,
over time I have tried a lot of JT65 on VHF troppo modes and have had problems with it decoding if a meteor ping occurs during the cycle, which is quite often in morning periods.

A recent test with Rob, vk1kw brought to this light again during the week. While Rob's signal was good speaker copy on JT65 we were not able to get much back and forth due to meteor ping disturbing the decodes.

So I am looking for recommendations from others on a digital mode that used on VHF that has some moderately good weak signal capability BUT is tolerant of disturbances like meteors.

I will try ISCAT-B and see how that goes (long time since I have used it) but am curious what others have had experience in.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for tolerant low signal digital mode

Post by VK7XX »

Hello Peter. Have you tried JT-9 ?? I use JT9 on HF quite a bit and have found that it is pretty good even when other signals, like RTTY come up. I have not tried it on bands higher than HF a lot, having only 2 x 6m JT9 contacts and they were in to VK2 & VK3.

John
Last edited by VK7XX on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK3AMZ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AMZ »

You could try CW Pete...... :D :D
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

Have you tried Opera? This mode is bit like WSPR in operation and primarily used on HF but has been used very successfully on 2M in Europe.

- David - VK3KCX
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

Peter,

Perhaps you could try running 30 second periods, instead of the full (standard) 1 minute periods?

This might lessen the impact of a stray rock or two.

Barry
VK3BJM
VK3ZYC
Forum Novice

Post by VK3ZYC »

Hi,
Perhaps JT9 is a possibility, seems to work ok on the balloon tracking out to several 1000 km on hf with lighting crashes
Willing to try with you anytime, can run it just below the wspr freq on 2m with 1000 Hz mod freq.

jim VK3ZYC
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Jim
VK3ZYC wrote:Hi,
Perhaps JT9 is a possibility, seems to work ok on the balloon tracking out to several 1000 km on hf with lighting crashes
Willing to try with you anytime, can run it just below the wspr freq on 2m with 1000 Hz mod freq.
jim VK3ZYC
Would love to give it a bash on VHF and see how it handles the disturbances like meteors and Aeroplane Doppler, I am around more now that the weather has improved so if you have a favourite night / morning am keen

Regards,
Peter
VK3ZYC
Forum Novice

Post by VK3ZYC »

Hi Peter,
Will look for you on the logger over the next few nights.
There are few stations here in gippsland with JT9 installed as part of wspr-x, was testing with norm vk3dut a few nights ago.

jim, VK3ZYC.
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

I'm keen to give it a go too. Good to see more activity on the bands after the winter hibernation.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

Meteor pings are often very short, under 1/2 sec. So, a fast bit rate mode is needed to get a "packet" through.
On 6m, we tried FSK315 but the gut feel was, FSK441 was better.

But, the bigger problem is, few people are running the latest software.
Here, I download and compile WSJT and WSJT-X, weekly or sooner.

Also MSHV works well.

Alan VK2ZIW
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi David
VK3KCX wrote:Have you tried Opera? This mode is bit like WSPR in operation and primarily used on HF but has been used very successfully on 2M in Europe.
- David - VK3KCX
From what I can read about OPERA it appears to be a beacon mode transmission a bit like WSPR and not intended for a QSO, maybe you were thinking about ROS ? I think Waldis, vk1wj (now SK) was experimenting with ROS a few years ago.

The ISCAT-B mode in WSJT looks to be a contender, it has a low data rate and error correction built in. Some early test on 50 MHz with lots of meteors around showed it could handle variable conditions well and still decode down to the minus 16db signal levels that the faster modes can not do (fsk441 etc)

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

HI Peter, I've not used ISCAT-B, only JT65 / 9 and WSPR, I have used ROS and Opera extensively.
I'm of the opinion that if you want a real QSO mode (not just canned messages) you just can't go passed ROS, apart from it's astounding ability to decode in high noise environments and selective fading, it has a choice of three baud rates (4/8/16) and each message has a good/bad check sum indicator and many features not found elsewhere.

There is much more to digital modes than just PSK31 and JT family of modes.

https://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

- David VK3KCX
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

We need a linux program for Low Power systems eg. Raspberry Pi.
ROS is PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows.

Alan VK2ZIW
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

Another to lookat: WSQ
http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/SOFT/WSQ.htm

Also needs a Linux version.

Alan VK2ZIW
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Thanks Alan
VK2ZIW wrote:Another to lookat: WSQ
http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/SOFT/WSQ.htm
Alan VK2ZIW
that mode from ZL looks quite interesting, they state it is very tolerant of long impulse noise as it was intended for MF /LF frequencies where lightning noise if prevalent, so sounds like the meteor pings might not effect it

http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/SOFT/WSQ.htm (even has source code)

It is simple to use and configure so even I have a hope as I found using ROS to be a test of my patience to figure out how to make it work.

Regards,
Peter
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

I also now have WSQ installed and believed working

Happy to run a test when requested. Catch me on the logger

Kevin VK4UH QG62kp
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

WSQ sounds very interesting, I'd like to join with you guys in evaluating this.

- David - VK3KCX
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

From the WSQ Readme.txt file - "Remember - this mode WON'T WORK on HF, so don't bother trying! It is an LF/MF mode ONLY."

Hmmm... anybody tried this yet?

- David - VK3KCX
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Oh !
VK3KCX wrote:From the WSQ Readme.txt file - "Remember - this mode WON'T WORK on HF, so don't bother trying! It is an LF/MF mode ONLY."
Hmmm... anybody tried this yet?
- David - VK3KCX
Thanks for finding that David, not quite sure what would stop it working on HF but he must have had his reasons for putting that in there, will see if I can contact the author.

Ah, he mentions that Doppler shift is the problem with using it on HF, so for my intended use (weak troppo with occasional meteor) it might function. I guess we should set a day / time and a few of us get on 144 MHz with a few of these modes?

Regards,
Peter
VK3KCX

Post by VK3KCX »

Agreed Peter, in my personal experience with Opera and ROS over EU - Aus paths, the proof is in the air testing, I have managed to get -34db decodes on 10m using Opera Op4 and Op8 (4 minute and 8 minute cycle) when the author of this mode said it would never work as those slow modes would only work on lowerbands. Similar experience with ROS 2/100 made for 600M use, worked great on 10m -24 decodes which is 2dB better than ROS 4/2000 which is designed for HF.

- David - VK3KCX