Free standing tower, Cardinia Shire council

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK3GYH
Forum Novice

Free standing tower, Cardinia Shire council

Post by VK3GYH »

Hello Everyone,

We are moving into a new property shortly and I would like to perform as much 'pre-work' as possible on obtaining a building permit for a free standing mast (tower!) at the property.

My intentions are to erect a 13.4 metre or lower free standing mast (tower) at the rear of the property. Land size is one acre, area is rural residential. The tower and attached antennas would be partially visible from the front due to existing trees and shrubs. Only two neighbors either side, no one at the rear. Both neighbors would have some level of screening from the mast and antennas.

My understandings are:
1. The mast is greater than the 8 metre allowance specified in the Victorian building permit codes. Hence a permit is required.
2. I need to file with the council, in this case Cardinia Shire council, a 'Report and Consent form' as part of the the permit process.
3. The submission to the council should only be for the mast (tower) itself, as the antennas are temporary and experimental in nature
4. The mast is part of property enjoyment, it is NOT a commercial telecommunications facility. Understand there are VCAT rulings along these lines.

Where I would like some help:
1. Has anyone been through this process in Cardinia shire and would be willing to share their documentation and/or advice?
2. What is the actual process people have followed? i.e. Did you collate the paperwork yourself or have a professional company perform the work on your behalf?
3. Given it is a 13.4 (or less tower) are design specifications and engineering calculations required? I wasn't sure on this, I did search the forum, but it seems they may only be needed IF you go above this height?

Apologies for the long post, but I thought I'd try and spell it all out in one go.

Best 73, Mike.
Cheers and 73,

Mike VK3GYH / M0GYH

"De omnibus dubitandum"
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Re: Free standing tower, Cardinia Shire council

Post by VK1JA »

Hi Mike,

You may have already read this thread - http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic ... 44&t=11146 but just incase you haven't.

Jayson
VK3GYH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3GYH »

Hello Jayson,

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, I did read that post (and all the others I could find with the 'Search' function).

I guess what isn't clear in my mind is the overall process (and exact documentation / forms) that people have been following in Cardinia Shire and which bits they did themselves or used a professional to do for them.

Best regards,

Mike.
Cheers and 73,

Mike VK3GYH / M0GYH

"De omnibus dubitandum"
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

You need to find out the council rules from their web site , you might have an out being rural residential and not have to comply but don''t count on it
then if the tower has papers follow the council guide and pay the rip off fee , expect to be lied to because most council people have no idea
basically you have to pay a tax for being a ham , somehow that irks me and be expected to prove your erection is safe and worth while in the judgement of the council engineer ( who may well have an agenda)

Good luck with it
VK3GYH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3GYH »

Hello VK4TI,

Thanks for the reply and wishes.
VK4TI wrote:You need to find out the council rules from their web site...(snip) Good luck with it
Yes, all understood. I have a reasonable idea at this point of what the council requires and shall begin preparing all the paperwork. I guess what I am still seeking is guidance and/or sample documentation from someone that has previously been through the process here in Cardinia shire, albeit I suspect other local councils such as Casey, Bass, etc. would probably be fairly similar.

Cheers, Mike.
Cheers and 73,

Mike VK3GYH / M0GYH

"De omnibus dubitandum"