ISS Digital HAMTV

Things that do not fit in the above categories
VK4KHZ

ISS Digital HAMTV

Post by VK4KHZ »

Is there anyone else in Australia other than myself and Martin VK6MJ currently set up to receive the HAMTV transmissions from the ISS on 2.4Ghz?
The reason I ask is the ISS has some more test transmissions coming up shortly and we would like to compare reception results.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Re: ISS Digital HAMTV

Post by VK6ADF »

Hi Shane, no I am not nor can I see myself receiving it in the near future, but there seems to be an interest in satellites lately. How about a small post of what you use or what is required and you might create some interest.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Phil

Thanks for your reply.

The following info which has previously been posted on the web may provide an idea of what is required -

The Ham Video DATV transmitter, which is installed in the Columbus module, features the following characteristics:  Downlink frequencies: 2.422 GHz, 2.437 GHz & 2.395 GHz 
DVB-S standard (QPSK modulation) with tables removed,  Symbol rates: 1.3 Ms/s and 2.0 Ms/s  FEC : ½  SIF: 352x240 or D1:720x480  RF radiated power : approximately 10 W EIRP.

GROUND STATION REQUIREMENTS:

Parabolic antenna with AZ-EL pointing The dish must be mounted for accurate azimuth and elevation pointing within +/ 2 degrees of the ISS - currently I am using a Yaesu G5500 and Martin VK6MJ is using also using a Yaesu rotator. The elevation movement must cover 180 degrees (flip mode capability). The azimuth movement must also cover 360 degrees.

Tracking software A number of tracking software options are available. The popular ones seem to be SatPC32 and Orbitron. When selecting the software be sure it has the capability to drive the AZ-EL motors, flip mode included.

Antenna Feed - LHCP dish feed ARISS antennas on the Columbus module are right circularly polarised. For a ground station the feed must therefore be left hand circularly polarised, since the dish reflection reverses the polarisation. The dish feed can be a patch type or a helix type, positioned in the focus of the parabola.

LNB An LNB /Converter is required to be mounted as close as practicable to the feed. Two popular options which are suitable are manufactured by Kuhne.
Option 1 : KU LNC 25 TM ( centered 2450 MHz) Frequency range : 2350 – 2550 MHz IF : 1433.5 – 1633.5 MHz Amplification : 40 dB http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/produ ... 25-tm.html
Option 2 : KU LNC 23 TM (centered 2385 MHz) – specific DATV Frequency range: 2320 – 2450 MHz IF : 1404 – 1534 MHz Amplification : 40 dB http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/produ ... 23-tm.html. Both Martin and myself are using the 23TM however I have also experimented with a Spectra Developments SPDC2400 with similar results.

DVB-S satellite receiver A suitable DVB-S satellite receiver PCI tuner card is produced by Techno Trend http://www.technotrend.eu/2920/TT-budget__S2-1600.html
The Techno Trend card fits in a PCI computer slot and supports HD TV (MPEG2 and MPEG4/ H.264) :  Computer OS : Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8  CPU for SDTV: at least 800 MHz  CPU for HDTV: at least P4 3,4 GHz or comparable AMD Athlon (Dual Core recommended) - not needed for Ham TV  512MB main storage (1024MB recommended) at least 1GB free hard disc storage  Graphics card with at least 64MB and DirectX 9 support  Sound card with DirectX 9 support
Besides the TT-budget S2-1600 card, TechnoTrend produces the TT-S2-3200 card, also suitable.

In addition to the PCI card ground station solution described, it is understood that some specific DVB-S “set top” boxes are able to operate correctly at the symbol rates that will be used by the Ham TV system.

Measurement and Display software Jean Pierre Courjaud F6DZP has developed a free software utility providing radio amateurs and DVB technicians a tool that allows Digital ATV (DVB-S) to be measured precisely. Please see : http://www.vivadatv.org/page.php?p=tutioune-en
This software comes in two versions :  Tutioune V2.0 for use with the TT S2-3200 card http://www.vivadatv.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=205
Tutioune 1600 V0.1 for use with the TT S2-1600 card http://www.vivadatv.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=214

With the above mentioned setup, Ham Video from Columbus can be received, decoded and visioned when the transmitter is powered on.

If there is any interest I can try and post some photos of the installation of the ground station equipment such as building the 1.2m mesh dish and mounting hardware as well as the reception results to date.

BTW - Martin VK6MJ has achieved possibly the best results to date having consistently received 6 minutes of video lock on most high elevation passes. To date my best effort is just seconds over 5 minutes of video lock.

Regards

Shane
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

The HAMTV transmitter on the ISS is expected to be switched back on tomorrow and should continue to transmit through until 9th October when it will be powered back down for a short time.
It is expected that the frequency for this test will be 2395Mhz, a symbol rate of 02000 and FEC or 1/2
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

The transmitter is now back on.
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

The HAMTV transmitter on the ISS was powered on again early this morning. It is currently transmitting again on 2395Mhz, 02000 symbol rate.
I have now changed my dish feed from a helix to a patch feed (I ended up making two patch feeds) to compare the difference (if any) from slightly different designs.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

This mornings pass of the ISS provided the best results yet in my ever evolving HAMTV receive station. I managed just over 5 minutes of uninterrupted video lock on 2395Mhz. Over the past two weeks I have experimented with patch feeds and helix feeds but have now settled on the helix feed as it seems to work best with my 1.2m mesh dish. We are now looking forward to the next phase of this project when Tim Peake (ESA astronaut) arrives on the ISS in December and hopefully we see some live video.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

The HAMTV transmitter on the ISS now seems to be off. This coincides with the planned EVA perhaps. I received no signal during the previous two passes.
VK3MEG
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3MEG »

thanks for the update way beyond my station capability but i had fun chasing the iss for the picture on 2m i think it was this sounds alot more involved but worth the effort. any chance of a you tube clip?
cheers
steve
vk3meg
cheers
Steve now known as vk3ktt
QF22GG
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Steve
As soon as the transmitter is turned back on I will make a small video clip. It is certainly one of the most demanding modes I have experienced but satisfying once you receive acquisition of signal.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Steve
I had a low elevation pass tonight so I managed to put together a few minutes of video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJRH17 ... e=youtu.be

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ