Fiberglass Pole - Where to Find ?

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK2XTC
Frequent Poster

Fiberglass Pole - Where to Find ?

Post by VK2XTC »

Hi,

I'm looking to find a source of a Fibreglass pole that I can mount a 20 element 2 Meter Yagi on.
It needs to be fibreglass or PVC so as not to interfere with the vertical elements.
I used to have one of the High Tension Power line spacers that was about 4 meters long but lost it some time back in a house move.

I cannot find a place to buy one. (Suggestions)
Is there a way to make one by filing a PVC pipe with self expanding foam to make it more ridged?

Suggestions as to what to put on top of a gal pipe that then mounts to the Yagi greatly appreciated.

Brian

VK2XTC
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Re: Fiberglass Pole - Where to Find ?

Post by VK3DXE »

I started a thread here a while ago: http://www.vklogger.com/forum/viewtopic ... fibreglass

I've now got a couple of sailboard masts which I'll eventually get around to utilising.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

Why not consider some of these?

http://www.haverford.com.au/telescopic-poles.html

Buy the length you need, glue them, one of two pop rivets, job done!

I have one of the 7m Heavy Duty ones for portable HF operation, and they work dam fine.
ZERO carbon content, so will not effect the RF at all!
VK2XTC
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2XTC »

Thanks for the responses.

I purchased one of the Aldi extension roller poles but then realised it wouldn't work as the centre extension section was Aluminium.
I've put it to good use painting the ceiling.

I'm rather annoyed that I had about 4 of the Windsurfer poles and tossed them out in a council clean up a few years back.
I didn't have use for them at the time. I keep telling her that I'll find a use for it one day.
It was the day after I thew them out !

The beam is 2M 16 element circa polarised yagi about 4 meters long so I'll need something like the windsurfer pole to be able to hold it up.
Wind loading will be an issue.

I'll get onto eBay and see what I can find.

What about the idea of filling a PVC pipe with epoxy or expanding foam?
The pipe itself is strong enough, just need to stop it flexing in the breeze. Cut it to length, filled and a couple of end caps.

anyone tried it ?

Brian
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

I filled a PVC pipe with some rod and then resin. It worked but was heavy. I went back to a smaller purpose built pole.

I do have an old Windsurfer ( circa 1985) mast that I will try "one day".....
Compton
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2DUX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2DUX »

Yes old windsurfing masts are the go. They can be had for a few dollars at the recycling centres. The good thing is that they are incredibly strong and to gain extra height simply stack one on top of the other. I have two 2M beams mounted on one, in a high wind area, with no problems whatsoever.
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

Fiberglass reo bar for concrete, made in Adelaide

http://www.vrodaustralia.com.au/
6x 13mm x 3m rods for Hex Beam cost about $120 shipped.
And, they are stiff.
Hex Beam is built, but I need a team to put it on the club roof. BMARC

Alan VK2ZIW
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

WOOD?

light (cedar etc), long lasting, available everywhere in a variety of sizes, easy to work, and will likely last as long as your interest in that particular antenna...

PS it's made of Carbon but it doesn't matter!
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

Brian,

I'm not sure, but reading your post leads me to think you want the whole length of the mast to be non-conducting. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

This really isn't necessary.

You only need enough to clear the elements, with a bit extra for safety.

So, for a 2m Yagi, 1 to 1.2 metres of fibre glass rod/tube would be sufficient. The remainder of the mast can be metal.

This is how the arrays of most of the EME community are put together, when they use XP or CP Yagi. Metal for the "H"-frame, and fibreglass extensions.

As mentioned in other threads, Quador in Mitcham, Vic sell fibreglass extrusions; I bought 3 metres of 25mm OD rod last year, for a bit over $100 (IIRC). That stuff is damn solid. Not sure where you are in NSW, but there will be dealers somewhere. If there's no-one close, I'm sure a metre wouldn't be a big deal to cut and mail...

Barry
VK3BJM