Australian Waters Qualification (VHF Licence)

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Australian Waters Qualification (VHF Licence)

Post by VK3IH »

"A new qualification—The Australian Waters Qualification (AWQ) has just been introduced. This new qualification is suitable for marine radio users who operate VHF marine radios in Australian Territorial Waters only. (Australian Territorial Waters are defined as all waters up to 12 nautical miles from the Australian coastline.) "

http://www.acma.gov.au/sitecore/content ... aunch-soon

"What will sitting for the AWQ involve?

It should take no more than two to three hours to obtain the AWQ."

Could WIA/Clubs etc now combine a Foundation Licence course weekend with this new AWQ licence?

I think it could be used by clubs as an opportunity to offer a weekend of radio training by skilled operators that would end up with participants getting:

Australian Waters Qualification (AWQ) AND a Foundation Licence.

Yes, not everyone would be interested but if WIA/Clubs etc could offer a very low cost/free weekend (plus Licence fees only etc) even if only 10% of AWQ interested people attended that might be a LOT of new Foundation Calls. After all boaties especially larger yachts etc have been using amateur radio for years.

Just an idea what does everyone think??

Paul VK3IH
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Re: Australian Waters Qualification (VHF Licence)

Post by VK5ZLR »

Good idea I'd reckon, maybe put it to the WIA.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK4CC
Forum Novice

Post by VK4CC »

You will probably find that you will be competing with Volunteer Marine Rescue, Coastguard and boat clubs for the business. Not that that is a bad thing.
They already do courses for the Marine Radio Operator's Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP) and Marine Radio Operator's VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP) so
They will probably just offer the new Qual under their existing RTO status.

Col
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3IH »

Yes I have the MROCP, I just read the book and found a local invigilator and sat the test, however groups (RTO's) charge hundreds of dollars for courses....... Yes we would be competing for a small portion of the interested parties but that is the system they have created lets take advantage of it?

Paul
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria