Australian DMR repeater network

FM, Analogue, DSTAR, C4FM, etc Repeater discussion
VK4BQ

Australian DMR repeater network

Post by VK4BQ »

Can anyone shed any light on the number of bonafide DMR repeaters that are operational in Australia. That is fully licensed repeaters and installed on a mountain top site and connected to the internet for linking. I can see a total of six for the whole of Australia

VK4RMC Brisbane
VK2RCG Sydney
VK3RZU Mt Buller Vic
VK3RSU Melbourne
VK3RAD Melbourne
VK6RRR Perth
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Re: Australian DMR repeater network

Post by VK4TIM »

Those repeaters you mentioned are as far as I know, all part of the DMR-MARC network.

I have a radio that I have programmed for the Brisbane DMR-MARC repeater (you need to get an ID number and be authorised to access DMR-MARC) but I can only hear local traffic on the local repeater, and nothing from any other repeater in the network as there's something proprietory in the MotoTrbo signalling I think.

What sort of DMR radio do you have?

I beleive that there may be more DMR repeaters being installed, whether they will be networked, I don't know.
The only repeaters that areable to be connected to the DMR-MARC are MotoTrbo (Motorola DMR Tier 2).
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK4VIP
Forum Novice

Post by VK4VIP »

There is Three DMR repeaters down in SE-QLD, i can confirm that the Mt-Cootha (VK4RMC) and Gold Coast (VK4RXX) ones are on-air as i was listening to them and was having a play around with a fellow ham last time i was down that way a couple of weeks ago.

World Wide Calling is active 24/7 and out of all Talk Groups has the most traffic
World Wide English is not always active and sometimes needs to be keyed briefly to hear any traffic
User Activated 1 and 2 are as the name mentions User activated and are designed so if you want to have a chat with someone and not tie up the World Wide talk groups you move to one of these talk-groups, but will only be active on a repeater if it is keyed up by a user at each repeater
VK/ZL been on Time Slot 2 is active 24/7

DMR appears to not have taken off as much as it has in the UK and USA but is good. One thing that i believe stops people is the fact that the radios are quite expensive and the repeaters are even worse, but radios like the new Tytera MD-380 which i purchased recently are cheaper and make it easier to get into DMR.

Registering for a DMR-MARC ID is simple and i myself have one which i use for commercial DMR until i get my standard license and use it then on 70-cm DMR, a example id is: 5054041 which is my ID.
I am also getting a few local hams in my club interested in DMR and have been having a play and also looking at maybe in the future at changing our 70cm repeater to a dual mode DMR/FM repeater, it will not be a internet linked repeater, simply a standalone repeater.

Hope this sheds a little knowledge of it all
Brandon
Central Queensland

VK4FABB

Yaesu FT-857, Codan 8525a, Yaesu FT-757GX, Yaesu FT-600, Yaesu VX-7R, Baofeng UV-5RE+, Tait T2000ii VHF, GME TX3600, Motorola GP328,Yaesu FT-2800M,Vertex VX-2500, Tytera MD-380
VK1KW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK1KW »

DMR - Digital Mobile Radio - had to do a google search :D
Regards
Rob
VK1KW
VK4VIP
Forum Novice

Post by VK4VIP »

Hahaha that is the only thing I forgot to mention was exactly what DMR stood for.

Sent using Tapatalk from my iPhone 5c iOS 8.2
Brandon
Central Queensland

VK4FABB

Yaesu FT-857, Codan 8525a, Yaesu FT-757GX, Yaesu FT-600, Yaesu VX-7R, Baofeng UV-5RE+, Tait T2000ii VHF, GME TX3600, Motorola GP328,Yaesu FT-2800M,Vertex VX-2500, Tytera MD-380
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

Brandon, the other thing you didn't mention is "where" one registers...
Bruce VK2EM
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Matt and Justin have told me VK2RCG is working well. Its in Gov Phillip Tower and has very good coverage. Talk groups active are World Wide 1 Slot 1, English 13 Slot 1, and VK/ZL 5 Slot 2.

If you have one of those SDR TV stick things running DSD+ you can have a listen for minamal cost. http://www.dmr-marc.net/repeaters.html list all the active repeaters, and if click on the repeater you can see who was last accessing the repeater and would give you fair idea if its working. But it does only list those that have accesed that repeater. Reeater will be quite active with all the users calling. Scroll down below the map for the list. trbo.arec.info:42420/MinimalNetwatch is heard list of who has been coming out on the linked Vk & ZL repeaters.

There isn't any Hytera network repeaters in VK but that might change soon.
VK4VIP
Forum Novice

Post by VK4VIP »

http://dmr-marc.net/cgi-bin/trbo-database/register.cgi

Go to the above website and at the bottom click register for user/radio Id and fill in your details, most times you will get your ID in under 24hrs, most times much quicker.
Sorry should mentioned that

Brandon
Central Queensland

VK4FABB

VK4BQ

Post by VK4BQ »

Hi Brandon

I am looking at the MARC list of active repeaters to get a true picture of activity in VK on DMR. I am assuming that VK3TE repeater in the list is on a test bench and not an active site.

Total number of active linked DMR repeaters in Australia is four!

I was lead to believe that there where many more linked DMR repeaters than four. Am I missing something here, Are there any other flavors of DMR systems besides the batwing gear that offers a linked repeater system? What other radio brands work on the MARC system?
Attachments
DMR repeaters.PNG
VK4VIP
Forum Novice

Post by VK4VIP »

From what I have seen Wazza the MARC network admins only allow Motorola gear on there network due to equipment capability and linking issues with other brands, I am willing to be corrected if there is other reasons.
The two VK4 repeater you have listed above are the two that were working when i was in Brisbane

Brandon
Central Queensland

VK4FABB

VK4BQ

Post by VK4BQ »

Thanks Brandon, I just can't see the mind blowing, sheer investment of pure economics that Richard was talking about in a system that has four repeaters Australia wide. I am looking forward to trying out DMR to see if its all what its talked up to be.
VK4VIP
Forum Novice

Post by VK4VIP »

Yeah it is a good mode, Kev MKB's TYT MD-380 radio arrived today so he will also be on DMR now.
We are looking at in the future of deploying a stand alone DMR repeater here in the Banana Shire
The Tytera MD-380 is the cheapest entry into the DMR world at this stage unless you buy a cheap secondhand radio
It is a expensive system to deploy for very little use and interest by VK amateurs
Brandon
Central Queensland

VK4FABB

VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

You either misquote me or didn't understand... there is a massive DMR network called Orion that now covers much of the east coast and that has had many millions invested in it already (and the MARC is benefiting from that). Radios on the Orion network number in the many thousands and include some of Australia's major companies as users.

Investment drives development. Who is investing in DStar? A few hams... It is kiddies stuff compared to DMR and if some hams want to ignore reality that is not my problem...

Richard
VK2AAH
VK4VIP
Forum Novice

Post by VK4VIP »

VK2AAH wrote: Radios on the Orion network number in the many thousands and include some of Australia's major companies as users.
Oh yeah the Orion network is a bloody excellent system and has good coverage, but i agree i feel hams are not taking advantage of DMR and is the reason i have started playing with it as it is my pick of Digital Tech so far because of the things you can do with it
Brandon
Central Queensland

VK4FABB

VK4VIP
Forum Novice

Post by VK4VIP »

VK2JDS wrote:
There isn't any Hytera network repeaters in VK but that might change soon.
The Hytera is slowly taking off in the US and is a great alternative to the MARC network.
If you look at the number of users registered for a DMR-MARC ID is quite a few numbers in the eastern states the figures for each state are below, there are some people with a number of ID's for all the different radios they own.

VK1=3
VK2=77
VK3=50 (quite a few double ups)
VK4= 45
VK5=7
VK6=20
VK7=1
VK8=1
VK9=0
Brandon
Central Queensland

VK4FABB

VK4BQ

Post by VK4BQ »

one two three four, mind blowing...massive...huge investment..one two three four
VK4BQ

Post by VK4BQ »

Have any of you blokes with commercial ties got a spare DMR repeater you can loan to the Mackay radio club so we can have a play?
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

VK4BQ wrote:one two three four, mind blowing...massive...huge investment..one two three four
And you expect someone to want to help you?
VK4BQ

Post by VK4BQ »

yeah mate, I don't have commercial bias. I am keen to try the DMR system out. do you have a spare repeater Richard? we have a licensed site ready to go.
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Talk to blokes like Matt 2LK or Justin 2CU... they may be able to help steer you in the right direction...