Is this a simple way to get on 10 GHz?

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK4WDM

Is this a simple way to get on 10 GHz?

Post by VK4WDM »

I have been talking to another local ham about getting something simple and relatively inexpensive going for 10Ghz.

I came across this device: 10 ghz Dielectric-resonant Oscillator sold by SHF Microwave Parts Company in Indiana (http://www.shfmicro.com/gunn.htm)

I also have a Microwave Associates 10.280 GHz Gunplexer but have no idea how to get it working, and we would have to get another one the same.

Not looking for a contest station, just something that would get as across a car park would be OK for a start (yep, we are a couple of big kids and more than slightly :crazy: ).

Would either of the above do the job, bearing in mind that the only experience we have with microwaves is the kitchen variety?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4JAM
Frequent Poster

Re: I this a simple way to get on 10GHz?

Post by VK4JAM »

Hi Wayne,
Perhaps .... I expect that frequency stability would still be an issue, but Gunn Diode based transceivers would probably be less stable.

The unit looks like a doppler motion sensor. These are available off e-bay real cheap. You may find the following link of interest:

http://www.limpkin.fr/index.php?post/20 ... ion-sensor

There are links to an application note and data sheets.

For the low price it could be fun to give it a go.

Andrew
VK4JAM
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Re: I this a simple way to get on 10 GHz?

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi

Using Gunn diode systems is certainly feasible. Our first 10 GHz system was Philips Gunn assemblies used for door openers etc. back in the mid 80s.

We easily achieved 100 km contacts with 60 cm dishes and 5 mW. IF was wideband FM broadcast receivers but in those days that band was nearly empty. Now it is very crowded so you will need another IF. They are not stable enough for narrowband. Some amateur transceivers can select wideband FM anywhere (FT100 and Icom 706Mk2g come to mind) so you could use 28 Mhz for example.

The only other issue is that you need to offset the each end oscillators by the IF frequency....so three way conversations are impractical!!

Have fun....cheers Tim VK5ZT
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Tim

The FM BC band up here in Townsville is not as crowded as it is further south so an IF there is probably still possible. I am trying to source another Microwave Associates Gunplexer as that appears to be the simplest was to go. The one I have is 10.280 GHz Gunplexer, do they both have to be on the same frequency?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I just found hidden away in my pile of books "The Radio Amateurs Microwave Communications Handbook" by Dave Ingram K4TWJ that has some fairly simple circuits for the Gunnplexer :clap: I will chase up another one and see what we can get together before the next field day, but please keep the advice coming, we will need it.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK4WDM wrote:The one I have is 10.280 GHz Gunplexer, do they both have to be on the same frequency?
No. They must be on different frequencies, with the difference being the I.F. you want to use.
For example, if you want a 100MHz I.F., then one Gunplexer could be on 10.28GHz and the other on 10.18GHz (or 10.38Ghz).
The Gunplexer will have a tuning screw you can use to adjust the frequency.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Re: Is this a simple way to get on 10 GHz?

Post by VK5ZT »

Wayne

As Iain said, the two Gunnplexers will need to be on two different frequencies. The difference between the two is the IF. Remember that the Gunn oscillator is your transmit frequency PLUS the local oscillator for the receiver. It mixes with the incoming RF to produce the IF in the mixer diode.

Some Gunnplexers have a varactor diode in close proximity to the Gunn diode. Applying a voltage to this is used to vary the frequency of the Gunn oscillator. Some do not, in which case you need to slightly vary the supply voltage to the Gunn itself. Gunns typically run on 7 volts. Modulation voltage applied is typically only a few millivolts! Circuitry required is pretty simple.

Take care with the mixer diodes. Static or exposure to high RF fields can kill them (trust me!)

Using FM broadcast band as an IF was convenient as the receivers are easy to get. We just set the Gunns 100 Mhz apart to give 100 Mhz as the IF, right in the middle of the FM broadcast band. Impossible now near a capital city as you will get massive broadcast breakthrough. 30 MHz was a common IF used in Gunn projects. It will be a full duplex link. No need for PTT operation. Be sure to add a tone oscillator to help you find each other.

Using the Gunn modules without antennas will easily get you across carparks and probably a few kms in the right terrain. Add an old sat TV dish and you will get over 100 kms. Once you get 10 GHz running, keep an eye out for some 24 GHz Gunnplexers....they are around and you can use exactly the same arrangement with them.

I still have a few old Gunn projects sitting on the shelf along with spare Gunns and mixer diodes......

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

VK5ZT wrote:I still have a few old Gunn projects sitting on the shelf along with spare Gunns and mixer diodes......
Be a great way to make a few bucks, to invest in a new 10 GHz transverter - if only the Federal Government would introduce a Gunn Buy-back Scheme.

Barry
VK3BJM
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

You're a crack shot with the Dad jokes Baz.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

"Dad jokes"???

Pffftttttttt...

It's called a pun, Lou; a PUN.

Yes, I'm looking forward to being the first beneficiary of a Federally-funded Pun Buy-back Scheme.

Ta.

Barry
VK3BJM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Gunn Buy-back Scheme.
Groan! Is that what happens to you when you play with microwaves? If so, I don't think I will join the community, my humor is bad enough already :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK4WDM wrote: 10 ghz Dielectric-resonant Oscillator
Wayne VK4WDM
QST had a resent article on those. Ant how to retune them
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

This book is a bit old (1981) but does have a lot of good info on Gunnplexers: http://www.n5dux.com/ham/files/pdf/The% ... okbook.pdf

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

Wayne

Search the old 73 magazine archives, they had a lot of articles about modulating Gunn oscillators (FM). Back in the '60s and '70s. There was also a column called "Ask Kaboom", if I remember correctly.

73 Bruce VK2EM
Bruce VK2EM
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Thank you guys, lot of good reading to do, but another question. Can you buy or build a field strength meter for this frequency? I am not too worried about it being calibrated, just want to know if the device is radiating. I suppose a "microwave oven leak detector" would be too low in frequency?

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

radar detectors are really good if you can find one in your shed etc.
china sells them on ebay for about $16 or so delivered and ,yes, they do get through customs.
not overly sensitive but workable and they run off 12 volts, so great for portable stations wanting to check tx signal
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I thought "radar detectors" were illegal in Australia. :? Maybe its only if you have them in your car? I will have a look on Ebay.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

In car maybe yes, but at the shack as a receiver for 10 Ghz after a bit of work they are just another receiver. Remove the plastic case and underneath is some horns and diodes connected to a pcb. Its a radio receiver in a band we are licenced to transmit in.
Like this ebay item 151734164399

An older 'detector' i got going just needed the sweep ramp voltage removed and a pot put in place to make it tuneable. Excellent sensitive rx

73 Dave
VK6TV

Post by VK6TV »

VK4WDM wrote:I thought "radar detectors" were illegal in Australia. :? Maybe its only if you have them in your car? I will have a look on Ebay.

Wayne VK4WDM
There legal here in western Austrlalia to buy :)

Milan
VK6KTV
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

You don't need to buy RADAR detectors to tear down for the gunn diodes etc, there's plenty of assemblies on ebay for you to play with already... :)

10.525Ghz, ebay item 181808299116

26Ghz ebay item 181777027705

22-24GHz ebay item 381070460408 <-- this last one comes with bias board attached.

regards

Tim
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK