HamShield kickstarted

VK4ABD
Forum Novice

HamShield kickstarted

Post by VK4ABD »

Looks interesting

HamShield for Arduino (VHF/UHF transceiver) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... ransceiver

HamShield lets your Arduino talk to far away people and things using powerful amateur radio bands! Best of all, the hardware and software is open source!

With the power of Arduino, you can use the HamShield to build and invent amazing things in minutes! Here are some examples, right out of our sketch toolbox:

Packet Radio
Long range mesh networks
Emergency communication networks
High altitude ballooning
Talk to repeaters
Tracking devices (APRS)
Interface the HamShield to your computer!
Beacons
Weather stations
Repeaters
Remote controlled robots
Automated satellite tracking and reception
Weather satellites
Scanning police, fire, business, FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies
Logging and recording radio traffic
Touchscreen handhelds
Bulletin board systems
New inventions!
The HamShield supports a wide range of VHF and UHF frequencies, covering 3 amateur bands. This includes the 1.25 meter or "220" band (220 MHz to 225 MHz), which is notoriously hard to find equipment for! It also can transmit on MARS bands.
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Re: HamShield kickstarted

Post by VK5ZLR »

powerful amateur radio bands!

Indeed!

Looks interesting........
Deep in the heart of state of the art.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Interesting.

:popcorn:

:beer:

:popcorn: :beer:

:beer: :popcorn: :beer:

VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

VK5ZLR wrote:powerful amateur radio bands!

Indeed!

Looks interesting........

Looking forward to my new play toy

Tread your own path :om:
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Probably a way beyond my capability, but it looks amazing technology and shows once again that hams are not, or at least don't need to be, only "black box Jockeys."

IMO, this is another illustration of why we need to do all we can to entice young, computer-savvy, technology-fascinated people into the ham community, and a very strong reason why the foundation license needs to provide access to digital modes to attract that group.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ANZ

Post by VK3ANZ »

Interesting but I'm a little concerned that the transceiver frequency ranges extend beyond the 2m and 70cm bands (not to mention the 1.25m band)
When the Baofeng and similar transceivers came along with similar 'out of band" Tx capabilities, the message went out to ensure the transmit limits were set so the radio would be legal.
Without knowing anything more (i.e can the Tx limits be programmed into the device is a semi-permanent manner), this could be an issue for the operator if the device is operated outside of the specified bands.
Susan VK3ANZ
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

The shield is a brick unless it is plugged into an Arduino. Operating frequency is set in the Arduino code. I doubt there is any need for concern.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK4WDM wrote:Probably a way beyond my capability, but it looks amazing technology and shows once again that hams are not, or at least don't need to be, only "black box Jockeys."

IMO, this is another illustration of why we need to do all we can to entice young, computer-savvy, technology-fascinated people into the ham community, and a very strong reason why the foundation license needs to provide access to digital modes to attract that group.
Agree 100%

Tweaking, building electronics and radio stuff is what the hobby is all about.

VK3ANZ wrote:Interesting but I'm a little concerned that the transceiver frequency ranges extend beyond the 2m and 70cm bands (not to mention the 1.25m band)
I think we obsess too much over what somebody "could" do. And yet, we let everyone drive 2 tonne death machines without a second thought.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

VK3ANZ wrote:
Interesting but I'm a little concerned that the transceiver frequency ranges extend beyond the 2m and 70cm bands (not to mention the 1.25m band)
I respectfully suggest that the ACMA's stance on amateur equipment able to transmit "out of band" should be well known after several long debates on this site, radio club visits by ACMA staff, and some shack visits by inspectors.

If you still don't know what their viewpoint is, I suggest you give them a call and find out directly, rather than starting another heated debate in this thread which will leave a lot of people still :?

(I just noted Lou's comments which should answer Susan's worry).

Wayne VK4WDM