F-Call thoughts

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: F-Call thoughts

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4WDM wrote:I think that we need to remember that it is NOT the WIA that...
I think we're all fully aware of this, however discussions and proposals ultimately involve our peak body, the WIA.
VK4WDM wrote:I don't use the microwave bands, but I would suggest that the the power limits allocated to drone operation might be there for a very valid reason and circumnavigating those limits by attaching oneself to a different hobby might not be viewed kindly by the ACMA either.
Wayne, have you forgotten us hams are permitted to run up to 400W pX or 120W pY on 5650 - 5850 MHz?

The meagre 25mW EIRP limit is the limit as defined in Radiocommunications (Low Interference Potential Devices) Class Licence 2000, Schedule 1
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.67 KiB) Viewed 3844 times

Given drone enthusiast are already doing a lot of common things that the average ham does (see my comments above), it the closest pool of people that ham radio would appeal to.
Name other hobbies that involves electronics, soldering, and RF?
Anyone?

To ignore an opportunity to draw in and include a similarly aligned group of enthusiasts would be a major mistake.

Again, if anyone has not ventured outside of their ham radio bubble and not gotten seriously involved in other tech hobbies, you may find this difficult to comprehend and therefore appreciate.

:crazy:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK3RX wrote:You can't seem to post anything without including barbs against advanced licensees, old guard etc.

Those barbs detract from anything else you say, and probably lead some to ignoring them -
No I do not include barbs against advanced licensees - I do include responses when stupid or un-knowledgeable statements are given by any grade licensee. The response given has been given in other debates on the same topic in other threads - "if we include digital in the foundation license then we need to test the foundation operator on digital modes" - my response was simply why when other grades are not tested on digital modes - quite a valid question. The suggested questions where quite logical and relevant to digital modes. The statement re advanced operators was my assumption not a barb and I would safety place money on it being true as was also stated in another thread about the practical exam - a fair number of advanced operators would also fail that (mind you if I had to sit for a driving license now - after 54 years since I got my license I would probably fail my driving test)

The debate on Foundation licenses comes to light on a regular basis - starts off with quite relevant and useful debate then swings around to "they should upgrade" if that fails then it turns to "we need to make the exam harder" and then usually wanders off with " they will want 6m and 1500W " then they all get pissed off and the forum admin closes the thread

Is'n it a crying shame that we cannot get a sensible debate and discussion on some thing as simple as getting more young people into the hobby.

john
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

VK3MEG wrote: would love to know where they are?
The ones I used I bought from Michael Todd at http://arcompanion.com/arcomp.php

IIRC it was about $30
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

"VK2MUS"
Pose some example questions that would be included on digital mode operations-

how do you connect the computer to the radio :J
what software do you use to generate digital modes :J
how do you adjust the computer sound card and the radio's output to lessen ALC :wtf:

a large proportion of Advanced operators would fail these questions ""

Thats an ill considered comment Om , a few hams are not computer liberated but most are and thats true across all classes , now I can'spell worth a hoot but have managed some IT training with little problem, and managed the upgrade so sorry but remain uncomvinced atm as fiddling with digital holds no challange or interest these days .
B
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Some of the ideas and suggestions put forward here are canvassed (or, 'covered', if you will) in the WIA's submission to the ACMA on the remake of the Amateur LCD, dated 11 July 2014 (aka "the wish list"). If you haven't done so already, see it here: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

What is VERY instructive, though, is to see how the Australian Foundation licence stacks up against other countries' 'entry level' licences in terms of frequency band access, as this table shows:
Entry level licences band access comparo.jpg
The only country worse-off is Malaysia! :wtf:

Follow-up discussions with the ACMA have been happening since that submission went in. 8)

I have remembered to exhale and inhale so as not to suffer O2 starvation in the meantime. :wink:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Talk about going full circle!

Here is a quote from Wikipaedia:

"In the United States, two pioneers in the field of controlling model planes by radio were Ross Hull and Clinton B. DeSoto,[4] officers of the American Radio Relay League. During 1937, these two men successfully built and flew several large R/C gliders in the first public demonstration of controlled flights, in the course of which their sailplanes made more than 100 flights."

Ross Hull (OA3JU, VK3JU) had had an interest in radio controlled planes from an early age and was quite active in the model aircraft field from the mid twenties in Australia and later in the USA from 1931 when he became Associate Editor of QST.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK4MJF
Forum Novice

Post by VK4MJF »

Yes Roger, It seems a lot of the contributors to this post have not read the WIA LCD paper with its changes to both the standard and foundation calls. I think some one is at least trying to help the hobby grow. If any or all is adopted I for one will be pleased with the extras for a standard call. Maybe some one should start a post on the LCD to educate the populous.
John VK4MJF :J :J :J
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK4MJF wrote:Yes Roger, It seems a lot of the contributors to this post have not read the WIA LCD paper with its changes to both the standard and foundation calls. I think some one is at least trying to help the hobby grow. If any or all is adopted I for one will be pleased with the extras for a standard call. Maybe some one should start a post on the LCD to educate the populous.
Now THAT would be like starting a herd of cats arguing! :popcorn: :wtf: :mrgreen:

Excellent to see the WIA's proposals. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

IMHO the WIA proposal is excellent. :clap: to all those involved in its production!

Wayne VK4WDM :om:
VK5ZLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZLR »

VK2ZRH wrote: If you haven't done so already, see it here: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

I hadn't done so already. But now I have and I am impressed.

Some of what comes out of the WIA leaves me feeling a bit disappointed, but I think that submission is absolutely first class.

Very well done to those who put it together. :clap:

The emphasis on permitted band widths & modes not yet invented is right on.
Deep in the heart of state of the art.