3.4 GHz Transverter Conversion (3.5 GHz WiFi transceiver)

23cm, 2.4/3.4/5.7/10/24/47 GHz and above - antennas, propagation, operating, etc. Includes Optical communications, with light,
VK2KYP
Frequent Poster

Re: 3.4 GHz Transverter Conversion (3.5 GHz WiFi transceiver

Post by VK2KYP »

Hi All,
I plan to bring my Panel down to Gippstech, I am travelling by car with Steve 2xde.

it is running low power about 250 mW due to one of the output FETS is faulty and I have disconnected it.

Is there any plans for other bands. I can bring down 1296 and 2400 MHz if there is interest.

73 Gary
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

So close... but yet so far.

The 3.4GHz panel repurchased into a full tvtr with 20w PA... PA heatsink yet to be refitted and awaiting last couple of parts!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Scott

If you are ever going to want to move the IF to 432 or similar, put some pins in those six large holes near the micro
so you can reprogram at some stage. I will be explaining the process at Gippstech.

Cheers
Tim VK5ZT
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Tim... Tnx.... will be there taking notes. :thumbup:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

No worries Scott...

Also consider removing the stubs on each of the filters. They are useless for our application and only skew the filter response.

See the diagram below for how they are wired. Just a simple coupling loop inside the filter unit.

There should be a small bit of the loop poking through the solder near the point where the coax is soldered.
I think this was used to adjust the size of the loop. If you cut it flush then melt all the solder around the coax and wire you can push
the coax in to disengage the wire then pull the whole lot out.
Stub Removal
Stub Removal
Stub Removal.png (4.79 KiB) Viewed 6392 times
You end up with a couple of bits of semi-rigid you can use elsewhere ;) :)

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Tnx Tim... be heading to the workshop this afternoon... will complete that then. :thumbup:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

Tim, thanks for the tips, I'll do the same to the panels I have here.

If anyone has anymore tips, feel free to share here :thumbup:
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Coupling loop removed.

Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

And another thing....

These boards can be extremely microphonic....they ring like a bell if not rigidly supported. (FM-ing of the pll)
I have had acoustic feedback from the radio speaker to the board causing howl-round!!

There's a reason there is three screws in immediate proximity to PLL1 when its bolted to the panel.
I would be inclined to put some foam behind the board when you bolt it down to dampen vibrations.
I even potted the pll in wax on one board...that did not fully stop the issue either!

Just so you know......

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Micro programming pins added.... tnx again Tim. .

Looking word to hearing the updates at Gippstech.

Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
VK2KYP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2KYP »

Hi All,
Has anyone swept and measured the loss of the Panel filters? Before and after modifications

Thank you Gary
VK7JG

Post by VK7JG »

Hi Gary.
I did a Sinad measurement before removing the stub and for all practical purposes could not measure any difference in performance after removing them .
I don't have the capability of doing a swept response .

Joe
VK7JG
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Well, Steve vk2kfj, Steve vk2xde, Gary vk2kyp, Roger vk2zrh and myself have our panels here at Gippstech and are looking for expressions of interest in activating 3.4ghz sunday arvo.
Are any vk3's available, eg vk3mat, vk3amb or any others?
We can listen 147.225 repeater
73 Dave vk2jds

Edit :

We had a great afternoon out and about at churchill, morwell, tyers . Plenty of stations on air on 3.3982, and also a handy beacon on 3.400434 which was strong and gps locked !
13 operators with multiple panels set up ,on 3 different sites.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Thanks to Dave Gary Steve & Steve for bringing your gear down for an excellent afternoon of 3.4GHz activity. We had a number of interested onlooker from our end and some of us even managed to work a US station all of 3m away :om3:
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3MAT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3MAT »

Thanks all a lot of fun working on 3.4ghz

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Matt, VK3MAT QF02xf
VK2KFJ
Forum Novice

Post by VK2KFJ »

VK3ALB wrote:Thanks to Dave Gary Steve & Steve for bringing your gear down for an excellent afternoon of 3.4GHz activity. We had a number of interested onlooker from our end and some of us even managed to work a US station all of 3m away :om3:
yes, very pleasing that others got to see them in action and try them, especially for those who have the panel but not completed them.
Mark VK5AVQ came over to The Ridge and we did some "workshop" testing comparing our panels against the VK3RGI beacon, we found Mark has a fault in his panel, suspect antenna, so he able to go home and fix it up, so it should work better next time.
I also learnt that VK1's JA and DA have incompleted panels, so I know I can throw my 3.4 gear in the car if I go to VK1 once they have finished them
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Yes it was a great afternoon after a very interesting Gippstech.
At the sunday lunchtime pizza munchathon I was chatting to Peter Freeman vk3pf and he was exhausted after all the work and had to head home asap. Thanks very much Peter and the crew for the great weekend !

The experience Mark had with his panel raises an interesting point . He found no change from horizontal to vertical pol when we were aiming at that handy beacon thats running about 30kms away from our test firing range.
Steves panel clearly nulled, as did both of mine, so it got me thinking about another panel antenna i had which had water inside it. Maybe Marks one had corrosion from water entry.

One of the panels i got was soaked in water, rusted out and stuffed, the antenna was same. From memory i think it did similar to what Mark is getting with his. It would be worth checking out before you all go out in the field just to see if yours nulls properly on polarisation change.

73 Dave vk2jds
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi Dave et al

Interesting about the water getting to the panel antenna. That is one of the issues with those things. It is too easy for water to get into the antenna in the right circumstances. I have a panel that appears to be 'non directional' so may have the same issue. They should drain if vertical but it very possible they were left piled up somewhere outside and water allowed to remain in the vicinity of the antenna pcb.
There is a gasket seal to try to protect the antenna but I have seen instances where water has seeped past this if left in contact for a long period.

I know how easy it is to fill them with water!

I will add that to my list of faults we have encountered....:)

Cheers all

Tim VK5ZT
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

G'day Tim,

Great talk you did on the panels at Gippstech, thanks for sharing the progress you've had with them and the software :thumbup:

Just as a quick update on the fault I have with a panel that the filters aren't peaking the rx - after hearing what Tim mentioned that in some cases the tracks go open circuit with heat (maybe removing the tin covers?) it's possible that one of the tracks on my board have gone open circuit between the tuneable rx filters and the first rx stage. It still receives the test (3.4Ghz) signal, but he test signal seems to be still getting into the circuit via the air ie not via the filters, as it makes no difference if the signal source is connected to the antenna port or not. And waving my hand around the input cable source makes the signal fluctuate.

More to come - when I get time....
VK2KYP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2KYP »

Hi I am looking for contact details for Mark vk5AVQ.

Thanks Gary vk2kyp