Alpha Spid AZ/EL Rotator

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK4KHZ

Alpha Spid AZ/EL Rotator

Post by VK4KHZ »

I would be interested in receiving any feedback/opinions from anyone who is currently using one of the Alpha Spid AZ/EL rotator for satellite work.
The Yaesu G5500 rotators I am currently using suffer from too much free movement between the gears, particularly during flip mode. I am told that the Alpha Spid is engineered differently and does not suffer from the same issues and maintains accuracy within 1 degree.

Not such an issue for voice but quite noticeable for the HAMTV mode where 1 or 2 degrees makes a big difference.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster

Re: Alpha Spid AZ/EL Rotator

Post by ZL3RC »

Hi Shane,
Don't user the AZ/AL one but have a couple of the BIG AZ ones and that are rock solid.
Double worm gears in the final drive has no slop at all and if it develops any you can adjust it out anyway.
Only thing I don't like in these rotators is the water proofing. You need to protect the centre of the rotator from water coming down the outside and centre of the vertical extension tube.

Roger
Roger
ZL3RC aka ZL3THQ RE66FL
http://www.qrz.com/db/ZL3THQ.
G1RNB

Post by G1RNB »

Hi Shane,

I have been using the RAS az/el for several years.

It is a very capable rotator and has negligible backlash, steering a 3.7m mesh dish for DSN.

I have upgraded to the HR 0.1 degree kit.

Spares are available in the unlikely event...

The key is to balance your antenna system so the centre of gravity is precisly above the support pipe.

I turn slowly and monitor the current consumption of the motors to ensure equilibrium.

Hope this helps. Ask if you require more info.

Si. G1rnb / vk4
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Thanks Guy's, I appreciate your comments. I may also give the G5500 a bit more time in fine tuning the counterweight before I write it off completely.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ