Beacon Database changes

Amateur beacons
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Beacon Database changes

Post by VK3HZ »

Hi Adam,

I guess they were two different thought bubbles - Distance/Bearing, and Sorting.

The Distance/Bearing would be very handy because of the way I use the page - which I'm assuming is not that much different to what others do. I'll say do a scan of VK3 2m beacons by first bringing up the list of them, then listening for each in turn. However, I need to click on Details for each to get the Direction. Then when I go "Back", I often get "Page Expired" or similar, so I have to tell it to resubmit the original query etc. Gets a bit tiring after a while. It may be that there's a setting in Firefox for that - I should look further.

As for sorting by Distance, it's not something indispensable to me.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK3HZ wrote: The Distance/Bearing would be very handy because of the way I use the page - which I'm assuming is not that much different to what others do. I'll say do a scan of VK3 2m beacons by first bringing up the list of them, then listening for each in turn. However, I need to click on Details for each to get the Direction...
Dave (and others), I have reinstated the distance and bearing columns, but to keep the main search summary compact across the screen, have removed the antenna, polarity, and antenna direction columns in the process.
Hopefully this now meets the needs of the majority of database users. :D

HASL could be of questionable value on the summary, considering many entriues do not have a HASL figure to begin with!

I'm inclined to use the HASL column space to display beacon power instead.
Will do that if others think that is a better use of space. :?:

I haven't added distance & bearing to the search summary view on the mobile version, as screen space is too tight as it is.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that. Looks great.

I'd agree that Power has more relevance to Beacon scanning than HASL.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK3HZ wrote:I'd agree that Power has more relevance to Beacon scanning than HASL.
Ok, done.
HASL column replaced with TX Power. :thumbup:

It didn't take much convincing! :wink:
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK3HZ wrote:The VK5VF 2m beacon location seems to be suffering from northern-latitude-itis too.
Have just updated the Mapping page.

For 'Locate Beacons', the band selection is now consistent with the Beacon page. (More individual bands added as well as xx and above)
Like the Beacon page, you can now select "Locked only".

The Mapping is revealing!
It appears three other entries, off air and unloved, were caught out with the north/south selection bug.
6RBU - 6m
3RMV - 6m
2RSF - 70cm
Capture.PNG
I'll let the community edit these entries as appropriate.

:D
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Hi Adam,

As you may be aware, some of the locked beacons are not on their exact (licensed) frequency, primarily due to limitations in the PLL divider length. They are locked and will stay exactly on a frequency (which can be calculated), but just not (quite) the licensed frequency.

For people who are using a beacon as a frequency reference, or for very weak signal cases, knowledge of the exact frequency is needed. What is the best way to show this on the Logger page?

Unfortunately, most people simply report the Nominal frequency when Spotting a beacon. So, as it stands, Spotting the exact freq is not all that long-lasting.

Should the Nominal frequency displayed on the Beacons page be adjusted to the exact frequency? if so, it appears to be a change that us mere mortals cannot make. I can supply a list of the off-frequency beacons that I am aware of and their actual (calculated) frequencies, if required.

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK3KGR
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KGR »

Dave,

At my suggestion Adam has already included an option for slight frequency offsets for Digital modes called "Zero DF offset". For example VK4RBB on 432.440 you need to set your dial 1230 Hz low to get zero DF on JT4.

But you are right a similar idea for CW beacons would be good.

Geoff VK4KJJ
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

Hi Dave
VK3HZ wrote:What is the best way to show this on the Logger page?
Can you re-phrase that question?
I simply don't understand it.
What Logger page? Are you referring to the main spot/chat page?
(Sorry, but the ham community even refers to this Forum as the "Logger" and anything else vaguely related to it... it becomes a mind reading exercise)
VK3HZ wrote:Should the Nominal frequency displayed on the Beacons page be adjusted to the exact frequency? if so, it appears to be a change that us mere mortals cannot make.
I was thinking about this recently myself.
The callsign and nominal frequency were deliberately made un-editable to remove the chance of an "oopps moment" with somebody updating the records.
As a side benefit of not being a normal form entry field, it also allows the ability to space out the numeral groups and add the extra decimal point to make it more readable.

Ideally the beacon record pages would have an "Edit this record" button or something which took you to a form entry page, rather than being able to edit most of the fields as it is now.
I'm not sure I can implement that easily given the old scripting that is being used.
The whole of VK Logger really needs a complete re-write, not a trivial task.
(But I have started learning about JQuery lately!)

VK3HZ wrote:I can supply a list of the off-frequency beacons that I am aware of and their actual (calculated) frequencies, if required.
There are only 29 beacons listed as being locked.

If somebody wants to volunteer and chase up the info with the custodians (ie; reliable information), and cut and paste that into one list here in this topic, that would make it an easy process for me to sit down and manually edit each record, and get it all done in the one session.

?
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Here is the list of beacons that are slightly off frequency, that I know of (= am responsible for the programming of):

VK3RGI
2m: 144.434.006 MHz
70cm: 432.433.993 MHz

VK3RMB
70cm: 432.535.971 MHz

VK7RAE
2m: 144.473.995 MHz
70cm: 432.473.997 MHz

Regards,
Dave
VK3HZ
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

To that list we could add VK3RGL on 144.529 980 Mhz

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Update:

VK3RGL now on 144.530 000 Mhz SPOT ON!

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

I have just had a look at 4 beacons, 3RGl and 5RSE are spot on, 7RAE is 5 Hz low and 3RGI probably nearer to 5 hz high.
Good work by all concerned.
David
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello Admin,
many thanks for adding the path profile data display into the beacon information in your earlier update, yes I know it was a while ago. :mrgreen:

Just today noticed that I can drag my mouse across the terrain profile data and the pointer on the map moves accordingly, now that is cool in my book.

Regards,
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill