Where are you???

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Re: Where are you???

Post by VK3BA »

G'day Lou & Andrew,

It looks great! I've just given it a few tests myself. Job well done to both of you :-)

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Good idea - can it generate the serial number as well because if it could we wouldn't need those pesky radios

Why transmit via the net the only variable exchange in the VHF UHF Contests ? If we dont need the radio's to confirm may as well be parked at home
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK3MAT
Forum Novice

Post by VK3MAT »

Great idea guys. i defiantly intend to use it! still deciding on what to do for the field day but you will see me around!

Matt
Matt, VK3MAT QF02xf
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi All,

This field day weekend I counted 46 pins on the map which I think is quite good considering the number of logs that are returned for any given contest. So now I have questions.

I wonder how many of those pins will turn in to logs?
How many of you felt it was a useful tool?
How in particular did you use Contest Radar?
How many of you will continue to use it?
Did anyone find any issues with it?
Is there room for improvement?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Lou,

To answer your questions:

I wonder how many of those pins will turn in to logs? IT WILL BE INTERESTING
How many of you felt it was a useful tool? USEFUL AS I STARTED LATE AND EASILY FOUND WHO WAS ACTIVE
How in particular did you use Contest Radar? CHECKED IT EVERY 3 HOURS TO SEE IF ANY NEW OPS
How many of you will continue to use it? NOT A HIGH PRIORITY IN A MULTI-OP STATION AS MOST NEW OPS ARE QUICKLY FOUND SOMEWHERE - BUT FOR A SINGLE OP VERY USEFUL
Did anyone find any issues with it? FINE
Is there room for improvement? AS DISCUSSED PREVIOUSLY, THE ABILITY TO ENTER IN HIGH DEFIINITION GRID SQUARES WOULD BE USEFUL IN THE CAPITAL CITIES AREA

Cheers

Peter VK3QI

Peter VK3QI
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

Hi Lou,

Here are my responses:

I wonder how many of those pins will turn in to logs?
I would hope (and expect) all of them.

How many of you felt it was a useful tool?
Yes, very useful. We will use it again for sure.

How in particular did you use Contest Radar?
We checked it at the commencement of the contest, and again when it was quiet. To be fair, we also used the VKLOGGER chat window as well. Pleasingly, the take-up by stations around VK3 area seemed quite high, although a few of the "I'll just hand out a few number" stations were understandably not logged in (this is not a criticism BTW, just an observation).

How many of you will continue to use it?
Yes, count us in!

Did anyone find any issues with it?
No, it seemed to work fine for us. We couldn't leave the webpage visible all the time as we already have VKCL, the rotator control software, the antenna aiming map, and the live weather panel already open - there's only so much that will fit on a 27" display! The integration with VKCL is smooth and effective.

Is there room for improvement?
I wonder if were possible to flag "Portable" and "Rover" stations somehow - perhaps with a different coloured icon? So those who put /p or /r at the end of their callsign will stand out from the home stations. The idea is to encourage contacts with those who make the effort to setup on hilltop somewhere. And just for fun, you could connect each "spot" to the nearest Wunderground weather station so we can each see the approximate Wx at each station :).

Again well done to all concerned for putting this together- you have done an exceptional job.

Cheers,
Ralph VK3LL
(on behalf of VK3KQ/p)
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi All,

Andrew has made a number of enhancements to Contest Radar based on requests we've received since last field day.

The summary table now indicates if comments were entered by an operator. Hover over the speech bubble with your mouse to read the comment. (browser dependent)

There is now a csv download option which allows you to get all the information entered by each operator including the comments field.

Home, portable(/P) and mobile stations(/M) are now color coded. (remember that /P is the only recognised suffix for the contest)

The radar now supports 8 character grid references.

Please remember that this is meant to be a quick tool to indicate our intention to participate in the contest and not a precision mapping tool. Stations are pinned to the center of the square so may not give a true indication of direction especially from within the same or adjacent sub grids. If you want better accuracy please use the excellent mapping tool in VKlogger and while you're there update your location details in OpInfo.

Thanks to Andrew for his continued effort in improving the radar.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Hi All,

There has been a few enhancements to Contest Radar. You can now determine the bearing and distance to other stations from your location. Simply add your location then click on the map legend or any operator you can see on the map. Below you can see the details from my operating location to VK3AV.
radar_bearings.PNG
My thanks to Andrew VK3MIX who keeps plugging away at this project.
Lou - VK3ALB