Shipping costs re purchased goods from MFJ Enterprises

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK3FM

Shipping costs re purchased goods from MFJ Enterprises

Post by VK3FM »

One could well be forgiven in suspecting a shipping scam when ordering amateur gear from MFJ Enterprises ex the USA.
I recently ordered a replacement plug and socket to suit the eight core cable running from my Hy Gain T2XX rotator, as well as 65 feet of eight core cable to replace a damaged run here at my QTH. Prices were OK - all up, not quite US$90.00.
Then came the bombshell - to ship US$90 worth of gear, that would very comfortably fit in a small shoebox, they wanted US$150. Yep - US$150.
When asked why this cost, they chose not to answer!
Subsequently a friend of my XYL ordered the plugs for delivery into Atlanta, Georgia, at a grand cost of US$4.50 and she will on forward to my XYL simply by including them in the next parcel exchange between her and my XYL. The friend in Atlanta didn't really feel they would add anything to the normal package cost, so small and light were they! BTW, their total size was about the same as a Mars bar, and weight about the same too.
The cable did cost me money, ex Atlanta, some US$24.50.
In several recent purchases from MFJ I had noted the shipping costs appeared inflated, and both orders were significantly over-packaged to boot.
Ah well...goodbye forever to MFJ.

Ernie VK3FM
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Re: Shipping costs re purchased goods from MFJ Enterprises

Post by VK2ZRH »

MFJ needs to take a considered look at Amazon's business model. :idea:
VK4FP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4FP »

Same issue here too..So I bought a MFJ product from UK instead ...Cheaper shipping ....
Cheers Lloyd ...
VK4GJW

Post by VK4GJW »

Ah the joys of having a sister who lives in the USA, receives items I order from US companys, then forwards them onto me here in Australia. Cuts my shipping costs by 3/4's! :D
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

A quick google shows there are freight forwarding companies in the US which will forward bought goods for a nominal fee , generally the use of such a firm will reduce shipping by one third to half easily
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

This would appear to be the norm now. I purchased 2 LDMOS bare PCBs and a few feet of 10 ohm coax which added to about $60-00 US but from memory the post was more than the items. In the end i had CCI send them to a mate in Texas who sent them here at no cost.
Another example was a bird slug... not a bad price but double it to get it here. So why is it that some China companies send free post regardless of the material cost ?

One poss reason is that US post has become unreliable so companies are paying a premium for good/reliable service.

Mark.
2WHO
GM3SEK

Post by GM3SEK »

ZL2WHO wrote:This would appear to be the norm now...

One poss reason is that US post has become unreliable so companies are paying a premium for good/reliable service.

Mark.
2WHO
The USA - the entire nation, almost - is profoundly ignorant about shipping abroad. Companies, individuals and the Post Office are all very liable to make bad (expensive) decisions. The only people who know what they're doing are either the international shipping companies like UPS (and they're expensive too) or people whom you have individually trained and sent detailed instructions.

Usually the most cost-effective method is to have things delivered to a friend or relative in the USA, who can then strip off excess packaging and forward by plain old interntional airmail post. But even then, your best intentions can still be hijacked by counter clerks giving the wrong information.

(You think you have problems with shipping electronic parts from the USA? Want to hear about shipping musical instruments? Bring sandwiches.)

73 from Ian GM3SEK
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

I've bought stuff from time to time from Amateur Electronics Supply, and they have always worked out the cheapest way to post i.e. selected the best size of packet/carton to fit in with USPS size limits for the various charges.
Damien VK3RX
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

I've said it before here and I will recommend them again... My American Shipper.

http://www.myamericanshipper.com/

I've imported loads of radio/electronic gear through them- and if you were buying MFJ gear you could get just as good a price from Ham Radio Outlet and they normally offer free post to My American Shipper. Ernie they could have saved you heaps and got your gear here within a week.

And for someone to write that most Americans have no idea about shipping/post overseas also could be applied to most Australians and Englishmen... if you haven't done it before you aren't going to know, are you?

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

VK2AAH wrote:I've said it before here and I will recommend them again... My American Shipper.

http://www.myamericanshipper.com/

<Snip>
I had a quick look at their site, but it wasn't clear to me - do they simply add a % or fee to the postage on-cost or do they charge a separate service fee?

Cheers
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

They charge according to the rate per pound shown in the pricing table on the website- no other charges on top. When you buy multiple items from different sources they will re-box them (to your instructions) in order to minimise the combined cost of the package- getting rid of unnecessary packaging reduces the shipping cost significantly. They prepare all import paperwork (and do it very well) so it goes through Customs quickly. There are also no fees for storage up to the allowed time. In addition they give you 35% off the cost of the first shipment.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

ZL2WHO wrote:

Mark.
2WHO
I think you're right.

About 18 months ago I wanted to buy a small $20 PCB direct from a company in the US - something the size of an Arduino Nano. Basic P&P was quoted at over $50 and the company would not budge. I implored him to post small packet Air which is/was a standard USPS service. It's a great service that works well and cost under $10. Anyway he refused because he didn't want his company's reputation to be tarnished by using a lesser service. :roll:

I think it just feels wrong when P&P cost more than the item.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
ZL3UYJ
Forum Novice

Post by ZL3UYJ »

For ZL Hams, take a look at NZ Post's YouShop service https://www.nzpost.co.nz/tools/youshop

I've used this several times from the US for ham and non-ham products. You have to pick and choice a bit when to use the service but it can work out alot cheaper.
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK3ALB wrote: I think you're right.

Basic P&P was quoted at over $50 and the company would not budge. I implored him to post small packet Air which is/was a standard USPS service. It's a great service that works well and cost under $10. Anyway he refused because he didn't want his company's reputation to be tarnished by using a lesser service. :roll:

I think it just feels wrong when P&P cost more than the item.

Because he probably has had issues with non trackable items never 'arriving' and getting a CC charge back.
ZL2TPQ

Post by ZL2TPQ »

Check with Australia Post, They may have a service like New Zealand Post's "YouShop".
It allows us to order an item in the USA and have it posted to an address in Portland, Oregon.
NZ Post will post it on, but at more favorable rates in most cases. They will even repack stuff if they see that would be more economic.
This service is also handy when a firm will not ship outside the states.
A couple of months ago, I purchased a tuner from HRO when they were advertising free post within the States, but it was going to cost me NZ $75 to send to NZ.
NZ post sent it to my door with tracking and insurance for NZ $32.
They also have the facility set up for England and China.

Give your postal service a call, They may be able to help.
Keith ZL2TPQ
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

ZL2TPQ wrote:Check with Australia Post, They may have a service like New Zealand Post's "YouShop".

They do.
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

I've considered buying two items from the states one being a Micro-Trak (RTG) from Byonics which is over $200USD and because of this higher price tag they charge approx. $50 for P&H. However items less of $200USD ship at a much lesser rate.

The second item was a DMK URI from DMK Engineering which is about $70USD and they charge approx. $55USD for P&H. I inquired about getting a better shipping rate but they also wont budge and recommended I get a few more people interested in buying the product to split shipping costs - It is a bit hard to do this when your from a small club.

I've bought other items from both the states and canada which were roughly the same size and got P&H between $10-15USD
VK4KL
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4KL »

Bought a Kenwood MC60 microphone off eBay a few months ago for US$62 no cost for postage included has they had to get actual cost from post office. Bombshell was US$120, they included the postage receipt. Unfortunately I had committed to buy maybe I should have taken a bad feedback instead. Mic is good tho

Adrian
Adrian
VK4KL
QG53xd
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

""Bought a Kenwood MC60 microphone off eBay a few months ago for US$62 no cost for postage included has they had to get actual cost from post office. Bombshell was US$120, they included the postage receipt. Unfortunately I had committed to buy maybe I should have taken a bad feedback instead. Mic is good tho

Adrian
Adrian
VK4KL""

wow that's a shame getting ripped so badly however I guess lesson learned ?

many ebay sellers have options but they take the most expensive freight due to lazyness regarding the guidelines , if you inquire it's usually possible ship outside the forced guidelines and get fit much much cheaper , next time ?
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

VK2AAH wrote:They charge according to the rate per pound shown in the pricing table on the website- no other charges on top. When you buy multiple items from different sources they will re-box them (to your instructions) in order to minimise the combined cost of the package- getting rid of unnecessary packaging reduces the shipping cost significantly. They prepare all import paperwork (and do it very well) so it goes through Customs quickly. There are also no fees for storage up to the allowed time. In addition they give you 35% off the cost of the first shipment.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
Thanks Richard.

It is obvious now that you have said it :)