Any MF in the TransTasman contest evening?

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
ZL1BHD
Forum Novice

Any MF in the TransTasman contest evening?

Post by ZL1BHD »

Greetings!

We're planning a large field day station for the 2015 TransTasman Contest (I think it's 25 July).

We have the space to erect a fullsize coax-fed half wave dipole (probably even something larger) on the 630M band, and we're wondering who in VK or further afield might be interested in a little bit of best-effort MF DX that weekend. Not often we get the opportunity to build antennas this large.

I emailed the Contest organisers and suggested they have a 630m section as well - to encourage this type of "spend three days stringing a massive dipole across a valley" type antennas.

I think it'd be fun. I don't know if we'll get it this year, but there's plenty of time.

Steve
ZL1BHD Contesting Group
VK3HJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Any MF in the TransTasman contest evening?

Post by VK3HJ »

That should give me time to build that 630 m transmitter for which I have all the parts - and the motivation to get it built!

I will be looking for 2-way CW contacts on the band when I am QRV.

My transmitting antenna will be my 160 m band top loaded vertical, with which I have already had a few contacts on 630 m.

Do keep prompting, or another two years will pass!

Luke VK3HJ
VK3IH
Frequent Poster

Re: Any MF in the TransTasman contest evening?

Post by VK3IH »

Did you put up the 630m band dipole? Have you put one up before? How did it operate in comparison to other variations / verticals etc?

Thinking of putting up a transmitting dipole full size with or without bends in the legs for 472Khz probably fairly low but with up to 20m height at the ends.

Any advice appreciated.

Paul
VK3IH
Paul VK3IH / G3ZDR South Gippsland Victoria