SK: Dave Macnaughton - VK2BA

A place to remember those who have become a Silent Key (SK)
VK2SIX

SK: Dave Macnaughton - VK2BA

Post by VK2SIX »

Friends,

With sadness; record today the passing of David Macnaughton - VK2BA of Megan NSW.

Dave was a keen Six metre operator from his home and had many tens of Countries' confirmed on that band.

A keen homebrewer of everything from the Yagi to the power point, originally active in North Sydney from Ryde.

To his Wife Jenny and family - our deepest condolences.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Re: SK: Dave Macnaughton - VK2BA

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Another of the good guys gone.
My friend and friendly competitor for 6M dx for years.
When we chased the VP2 in 1981 that short path distance has never been exceeded from VK South east..
Without Davids skills for seeking out 6M Pacific DX
Our 6M knowledge would be severly lacking.'
For Jenny Leone and Nev you are in our prayers.
AR SK de VK3OT
Tread your own path :om:
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Saddened to hear the news.

I knew Dave from, er, way back. Apart from homebrewing, he was one of that rare breed - a 'propagation experimenter'. One memorable experiment he pursued was to observe whether sporadic E preserved the polarisation of a transmitted signal, or changed it (eg. horizontal to vertical, or vice versa). He observed that it was sometimes yes, sometimes no, and sometimes changed one to both (ie. circular / elliptical). We had the occasional discussion about it - among many other things - often upon meeting-up at Central Coast ARC Field Days.

A true radio amateur in terms of the ITU definition - "self training and technical experimentation".

Another good guy has gone.
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Yes, a very big loss to the ham, especially 6m, community. We often forget just how much effort those older guys put into learning about the variable characteristics of the 6m band. Maybe the WIA should sponsor a project to have those remaining interviewed and audio recordings made about those early days before that info is lost for good.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

A truly sad loss to the 6m, and amateur fraternity.

Nearly 30 years ago when I was making my first feeble steps onto 6m, David was one of the few voices of support, guiding and assisting me to achieve a great deal of learning and personal achievement. He shunned and provided guidence on the constant and very personal attacks which remain a part of being active on 6m in VK (specifically from QG62).

During the 4 years I lived in SYD after graduating from Uni, David and Jenny welcomed me and invovled me in a few BBQs with prominant visiting international 6m DXers - some of which have subsequently been able to visit my QTH.

A sad loss. A truly nice guy.

73 David - you will be remembered for all the right reasons. :clap:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
ZL3ADT
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL3ADT »

Yes a sad loss.

I first worked David during the 1980s on 52MHz and on 144 Es .

Did meet him and his wife at Wyon 5 years ago.

Was great to work him and we did it a lot until he moved and had health problems.

Ross
VK3AMZ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AMZ »

I never met Dave in the flesh but a true gentleman of radio......an extremely keen but an extremely courteous operator who to me over 40 years of operating always demonstrated what could only be described as the "true radio ham spirit".

Despite the "tag" of some very bad operator techniques that have been aligned with 6mx DX, he was always patient and mindful of other operators. He set the example that others should follow.

I am deeply sadden to here of his passing and amateur radio will sadly miss a true statesman of the craft.

My condolences to Dave's family .....a true gem in the rough.

73's Dave.....SK
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Never had the pleasure to meet but David's AM signals will be missed.

David's very informative radio website is at http://www.macnaughtonart.com/vk2ba.htm
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Vale David,

He taught me what pursuit of excellence can push someone to - when I was able to give him his first Lord Howe Contact - David couldn't wait for the printers to print the cards - He made one up based on a Lord Howe Island post card and mailed it to me - No doubt so he could get one up on VK3OT and others.

One of the good guys has gone...
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

I first met Dave in the early 70's, we were both working in DCA (Dept of Civil Aviation) in Sydney.
He was a true gentleman and scholar.
I used to catch up with him occasionally on 80 meters on his daily sked and relive some old tales of the Department and where it took us.
You will be sadly missed Dave

Rex