Check You License Renewal

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Check You License Renewal

Post by VK4GHZ »

This was distributed amongst a closed email group, and if not rebroadcast openly, may be missed by many more people.

FYI:

----

"There are currently over 180 amateur radio licences that have not been renewed this year.
This includes some club licences and repeater licences.

This may be as a result of ACMA not having renewals available.

Please ask club members to check that licences are current and paid.

WIA Office”

----

Avoid operating unlicensed (and therefore illegally) and having your callsign re-issued to somebody else! :shock:

Thanks to the dang fangled interwebs, you can check your license details online: http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/regis ... dispatcher
Don't forget to select "Licences" as the search criteria.

Posted in the interests of spreading the word.
:thumbup:
Attachments
acma_search.PNG
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Check You License Renewal

Post by VK4CZ »

[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

Thanks.

Very easy to check on line.
VK8VTX
Forum Novice

Post by VK8VTX »

Thanks for the link and reminder, i just looked at mine and I'm good. but on this subject, the ACMA never sent me a station License this year and although i paid and i am in the system
i have not got the paper for 14/15 year, so did anyone else have this happen to them?

Joe
VK8VTX
VK5PL
Forum Novice

Post by VK5PL »

I never received a renewal notice so I rang them up & they emailed me the renewal that enabled me to pay online & a week of so later I received an invoice that said it had already been paid, then a few days later the licence came in the post.
David
VK5PL
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

VK8VTX wrote:Thanks for the link and reminder, i just looked at mine and I'm good. but on this subject, the ACMA never sent me a station License this year and although i paid and i am in the system
i have not got the paper for 14/15 year, so did anyone else have this happen to them?

Joe
VK8VTX
Yes..... well almost yes. About 2 weeks before mine was due for renewal, and I had not received the papers I went to their web site and filled out an on line "contact me back" form That was January 23... Almost 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting to be contacted back !!

Don't you just love a "Communications Authority" that has no idea how to communicate!

Fortunately I had enough information from last year to make the payment on the due date and checking their database shows I am ok, but that does not excuse them from not sending out renewals AND for not answering my on line message.

John
VK7XX
VK2JH

Post by VK2JH »

Hi John,

My full call was issued to me on my birthday and I normally remember that date. :om2:

Cheers,

John VK2JH
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

VK2JH wrote:Hi John,

My full call was issued to me on my birthday and I normally remember that date. :om2:

Cheers,

John VK2JH
Years ago the ACMA offer to pro rata the renewal date to my birthday.
VK4DU

Post by VK4DU »

I use the 5 year option....I was burnt once when I forgot to renew....the amount of pain to get your callsign back is nauseating....
VK5ZK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZK »

[quote="VK5NQP"]I never received a renewal notice so I rang them up & they emailed me the renewal that enabled me to pay online & a week of so later I received an invoice that said it had already been paid, then a few days later the licence came in the post.[/quote

This is almost exactly what happened to me. My licence expiry was late January 2015.
The person I spoke at ACMA offered to processed my renewal on the phone which I did and I received the invoice and later the normal licence for the next 12 months.

The problem is clearly with the ACMA systems that are not sending the normal renewal notice. I normally receive mine about 6 to 8 weeks before the licence expires.

This should be something that the WIA has followed up with ACMA. I hope it has been.

BTW John, VK7XX, A phone call is far more likely to get results than an Email.

Garry VK5ZK
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

VK5ZK wrote:
BTW John, VK7XX, A phone call is far more likely to get results than an Email.

Garry VK5ZK
A phone call is planned Gary. I intend to let it go another week and if still no reply, then phone them You can probably imagine how the conversation will go !

b.t.w., in part, their email back to my initial on line enquiry says :-

"Dear John,
Thank you for contacting the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). Your enquiry has been received and will be reviewed by an enquiries officer. A member of our team will contact you regarding your enquiry."

they probably should have added "just don't hold your breath".

John
VK5ZK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZK »

Hi John,

Interesting times. I just hope, with all the delay's, that your licence hasn't expired!!!!!

In over 50 years of being licenced this is the FIRST time I have not received a renewal notice.

That's progress for you.
What chance a refund for "lack of service." Not much I reckon.

Cheers

Off to chase K1N.

Garry VK5ZK
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

My certificate is pinned to the wall in front of the operaing seat , and it's noted a week before the due date in my phone alarm , will be paying 5 years again
VK5ZK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZK »

Fortunately I do remember my licence renewal date but that's not the point.
ACMA have not sent some renew notices this year and that's not good enough.

This sort of stuff up is why I do a lot of monthly direct debits these days.
I do my Vehicle rego, Insurance, Telstra, electricity, and others.
I find it very convenient.

Surely that wouldn't be too hard to set up.
Or would it.?

Garry VK5ZK
VK3RX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3RX »

After fumbling around the ACMA site I can't see anything specifically related to amateur licences being renewable for 5 years. I vaguely recall some years back something (maybe from the WIA) that it was available, and you simply paid 5 times whatever the renewal fee was.

Can someone steer me towards something specific, or how you go about it? Last year I didn't notice any option on the renewal notice nor the online payment system, but maybe I missed it.

I did find mention of a concession for apparatus licenses renewed for multiple years and this calculator, which when you work through it indicates the 5 year fee would be $354:

http://auction.acma.gov.au/fees_calc/step1.asp
Damien VK3RX
VK2NR
Forum Novice

Post by VK2NR »

Last time I renewed my licence I encountered the same issue regarding a 5 year renewal option.
After a quick call to the ACMA, a custom renewal invoice was emailed to me with the 5 year fee. I was then able to follow the usual renewal process on the ACMA website.
I suggest giving them a call as it appears that the option to renew for 5 years must be processed manually.

Good luck.

Dave - VK2NR
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Re: Check Your License Renewal

Post by VK2ZRH »

Explanation and useful information now posted on the WIA website, here: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

Posted in the interests of sharing the news. 8)
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Thank you Roger. You know, none of this would happen if they gave us licenses for life.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Well, Lou, you have a point. However, the bureaucracy does give us our Certificate of Proficiency for life. :)

In a few other countries (very few), the regulatory regime is viewed very differently. Somewhere along the line, perhaps a view prevailed that "you can't trust those colonials, you know - once they were convicts!" :shock: :J

For those keen on the "licence for life" principle, for one moment, think about applying it to drivers' licences . . . :shock: :think:

Just a comment "in passing". :sick:
73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK3DU
Forum Novice

Post by VK3DU »

Just thought I would take the opportunity to update this thread with my Licence renewal experience. I received the Licence Renewal Application from the ACMA about 2 months before my Licence expired. However, no subsequent Renewal was received for me to pay against. I rang ACMA on 1300 850 115 and renewed my Licence using a credit card. I guess it pays to keep track of your Licence currency and not rely on receiving notifications. Otherwise, you might be tuning around one day and find someone calling CQ using "your" call sign!
73 Peter VK3DU.