WSPR threads - where?

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

WSPR threads - where?

Post by ADMIN »

Hi all

I am making some category changes to the Forum, and introducing new sub-forums to group things better.
(A bit like a folder within a folder structure, we are all familiar with on our computers)

You will start to see this in the AIS, Beacons & FM TV DX sub-forum.
It's a manual time consuming task, moving one thread at a time!

With regard to WSPR topics, where do you want them?

They could go in;
• AIS Beacons and FM TV DX Forum, under a new sub-forum "WSPR"
• Digital modes, under a new sub-forum "WSPR"

Both seem logical choices.

When you consider what the "P" and "R" stand for, I'm favoring the AIS, Beacons, FM/TV DX area, but where do you want them?

Majority of responses will rule.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK7HH
Forum Diehard

Re: WSPR threads - where?

Post by VK7HH »

AIS, Beacons, FM/TV DX area is fine
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

I'd tend to look for it in the Digital Modes section. Others' thoughts?
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

VK3DXE wrote:I'd tend to look for it in the Digital Modes section. Others' thoughts?
Same as Alan suggested
VK3ZTE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3ZTE »

Hi there Admin.

Digital Modes - sub forum WSPR sounds pretty good to me. Very grateful that you are prepared to not only do the deed, but take the time to consult.

great work

cheers Grant VK3ZTE
VK2PR

Post by VK2PR »

"Digital Modes" seems like the right place to put WSPR threads.

73!
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Digital Modes Please Admin

David
VK4KL
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4KL »

I made a post today about win10 and wspr/jt65 and it as completely disappeared.

Adrian

Found the post it wasn't where I thought I put it
Adrian
VK4KL
QG53xd
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

Although I don't understand the logic involved (!), WSPR threads now moved to Digital modes Forum.
(WSPR is not a conversational mode, and is more akin to beacons and early warnings rather than conversational digital modes, but anyway, a small majority has ruled and the apathetic remained deathly silent!)

VK4KL wrote:I made a post today about win10 and wspr/jt65 and it as completely disappeared.
The crux of your topic was all about Windows 10 o/s, and is (now) found in the Computers Hardware/Software forum.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

• AIS Beacons and FM TV DX Forum, under a new sub-forum "WSPR"
• Digital modes, under a new sub-forum "WSPR"

either or keep the subject in the topic I guess :om:
Tread your own path :om:
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

Unfortunately I've been away over the AD long W/E and thus didn't have webby-type connexions for a change....ah bliss!! :lol:

I reckon you should have waited a little longer Adam to give some of our "slower to respond" members a chance to put their view.

My preference would have been to have them in the "Beacons...." sub-forum. Anyway it's a done deal and the threads have been stuffed into the "Digital...." sub-forum. I can live with that! Now it's time for another :beer: .

(burp)
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

VK6OX wrote:I reckon you should have waited a little longer Adam to give some of our "slower to respond" members a chance to put their view.
Maybe Andy, but it's a fast moving World now.

When things are discussed about my main hobby (racing FPV quadcopters), interest in things is generally measured in hours, sometimes minutes!
I appreciate ham radio is kicking and screaming and resisting this interwebs connected World of mobile devices and digital rhubarb, but 3 days seemed like an eternity. :J

Perhaps a good opportunity to remind Forum'ites about Tapatalk for mobile devices: https://tapatalk.com/#index_get_app

VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

ADMIN wrote:Although I don't understand the logic involved (!), WSPR threads now moved to Digital modes Forum.
(WSPR is not a conversational mode, and is more akin to beacons and early warnings rather than conversational digital modes, but anyway, a small majority has ruled and the apathetic remained deathly silent!)
Apathetic but opinionated person chiming in. :om:

I would consider WSPR a digital mode out of "generality" because many stations will receive and transmit. Beacons by classic definition* are well defined (universally fixed frequency and often time sequenced), limited in number, and Tx only. Rx stations interested in propagation are Rx only. This is not true with WSPR which has freedom to be a Tx and/or Rx as you wish. I would say that WSPR is akin to APRS in terms of member nodes. Some will be Tx beacons, some will be Rx/igate only, some will be mixed. On a technology level I would consider APRS a digital mode and nothing at all like a beacon mode.

It is true that looking at the behavioural aspect, it is not conversational and is used for propagation reporting which is beacon-like in purpose. But looking at the technological aspect it is not beacon-like. So it depends which aspect you consider is more important in defining it.

* Of course, as with any scientific/technological endeavour, it is quite possible the definition could change in the future. AKA "when I was your age Pluto was a planet" :D