Identifying FM Es stations

FM Radio Stations and TV Carriers used as Early Warning Indicators
VK2SWL2
Forum Novice

Identifying FM Es stations

Post by VK2SWL2 »

Prompted by a question asked by VK3ZAZ in the iChat this afternoon (he had left by the time I got back from dinner) I thought I would answer some questions as an FM DXer.

08:04:41 VK3ZAZ VK2FEAE I am curious as an ABC tech how you know what si what, for one callsigns are not given and man multi use of freq
08:05:55 VK3ZAZ try 91.7 92.5 93.3 94.1 94.9 and best 88.9 mix all at hamillton see what you get
08:06:19 VK3ZAZ 88.9 is 60kw and runs six directional stack
08:07:17 VK3ZAZ you also have a news radio at Horsham ona 500 foot tower and you have lawloit RN on its own
08:06:43 VK3ZAZ Mt Dundas is all 20KWx5 Mt Burr is only 10K

For sure sometimes it is impossible to identify the location of a station, but there are a few tricks we use. For a start PNN/News Radio is a national program with no timeshift, so I can easily check it against the local MW outlet. The remote FM outlets will be usually up to a few seconds behind. So that is a quick way of confirming it is News Radio (though it doesn't tell you where from if more than one on frequency). That quickly determines if it is News Radio Horsham, or RN Lawloit (which would also be in sync with Sydney RN so again a parallel check can be made) if western Victoria happened to be in.

The ACMA produces a monthly list showing all FM stations in Australia (not including Temporary Community or other Broadcasts). That lists the official callsign though I agree these are rarely used on air except mainly by some community stations. New Zealand is a bit harder as information can be harder to come by, their version of ACMA is a lot harder to query and while we can look at frequencies it only tells you the licence owner - and if Mediaworks or similar they run multiple networks.

However FM DX by it's nature is usually not widespread but reasonably concentrated in an area (be it very local or a region). It is rare that stations from all over the place are being heard at the same time, though a couple of years ago I did have an opening to Queensland like that where the band was wall to wall stations with sometimes 2-3 stations competing on usually empty frequencies. Last week I was hearing Mackay commercial stations, so it was a reasonable bet that the ABC outlets I heard on frequencies also listed for Mackay at the same time were the ones being heard.

That also applies the other way in working out what might be possible. Immediately before the Mackay reception I heard a Triple J outlet on 97.9 (ID heard). The only one listed in Australia is 4JJJ Burketown with 10 watts, and I could hear it on peaks on the portable radio with the whip. Straight after I was hearing all Mackay outlets including ABCFM 97.9 so I suspect some sort of switching error briefly and I was hearing the much higher powered Mackay transmitter carrying the wrong program rather than Burketown which was well away from anything else logged that day (all up and down the Queensland coast). Though I would much rather claim Burketown at 10 watts than Mackay at 100 kW :angel: that said I have had 10 watt Queensland reception before but during much more spectacular openings than I have heard this season so it couldn't be immediately discounted purely on power levels.

Lastly of course Craig & myself are using a directional antenna, an 8 element Hills yagi made for 88-108 MHz so we can be reasonably confident that long hop Es will be coming from the direction we are pointing it at except in the case of short haul Es reflecting back off a cloud, something I have rarely if ever experienced.

My 5EZY logging of Murray Bridge was based on a Power FM ID heard, rather than local ads with locations or phone numbers which are of course a good giveaway if heard. A quick google of "Power FM Murray Bridge" confirmed that was their frequency and given I had been hearing Adelaide immediately before was a fairly safe guess. My first logging of 5FBI Adelaide was based on hearing a "Fresh" ID, but given Craig's previous logs and the 50 MHz paths open from Sydney on the logger I suspected that might be the direction to aim. Having lived in Adelaide before I knew Fresh FM was on 92.7, though again a quick google of Fresh 92.7 would have brought that information up.

It's not necessarily as easy as when you are given a callsign immediately by the station you are hearing, but using the scientific method we can generally work out what we might be hearing. And not spotted are the ones we can't positively ID, such as the many low power Rebel FM or ABC outlets in Queensland that could have several towns on the one channel with no local ads to help ID them and no other local markers coming in. Off the logger on the mailling list some of us are on you will often see logs for stations that are unidentified even though the station name be known.

There are ones that don't immediately make sense, for example I once heard a mining outfit in remote South Australia relaying an eastern states JJJ program (based on time calls). The signal was audible for about 20km on the car radio over dunes etc so I suspect they were running at least 10 watts from the top of the tower. I assume they had tuned a satellite receiver to it and were just relaying it around for the local workers (well away from any local radio, even MW) but that would be receivable in a good Es opening. They will be the ones we can never track down as to exactly what they were.
VK2SWL2
Forum Novice

Re: Identifying FM Es stations

Post by VK2SWL2 »

Just remembered, another way of checking is online streaming of a suspected station, or their online playlists (Now playing...). But I can go to digitalradioplus.com.au and stream the capital city ABCs (and others) which would also confirm if a particular program was from an RN or ABC local radio in that state (if it's not running a local program).
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Understood
ABC Classic alone high power
VIC TAS SA

Add the four other services and JJJ that's a lot of frequencies to log
Many share co channel and also the programmes are all from VASt receivers now so there is a delay in the decode and they wont be in sync they will have sat delay of 2 seconds and a decode delay as well

1/2 hour delay
Adelaide SA 5ABCFM 103.9 FM
Adelaide Foothills SA 5ABCFM 97.5 FM
Angaston SA 5ABCFM 90.7 FM
Mount Gambier SA 5ABCFM 104.1 FM
Port Lincoln SA 5ABCFM 93.1 FM
Renmark/Loxton SA 5ABCFM 105.1 FM
Roxby Downs SA 5ABCFM 103.5 FM
Spencer Gulf North SA 5ABCFM 104.3 FM
Woomera SA 5ABCFM 103.3 FM

EASST
Ballarat (Lookout Hill) VIC 3ABCFM 105.5 FM
Bendigo VIC 3ABCFM 92.7 FM
Bright VIC 3ABCFM 88.1 FM
Goulburn Valley VIC 3ABCFM 96.1 FM
Latrobe Valley VIC 3ABCFM 101.5 FM
Melbourne VIC 3ABCFM 105.9 FM
Mildura/Sunraysia VIC 3ABCFM 102.7 FM
Murray Valley VIC 3ABCFM 103.7 FM
Upper Murray VIC 3ABCFM 104.1 FM
Warrnambool VIC 3ABCFM 92.1 FM
Western Victoria VIC 3ABCFM 93.3 FM
Canberra ACT 2ABCFM 102.3 FM
Tuggeranong ACT 2ABCFM 99.1 FM
Armidale NSW 2ABCFM 103.5 FM
Batemans Bay/Moruya NSW 2ABCFM 101.9 FM
Bathurst (City) NSW 2ABCFM 97.5 FM
Bega/Cooma NSW 2ABCFM 99.3 FM
Broken Hill NSW 2ABCFM 103.7 FM
Central Tablelands NSW 2ABCFM 102.7 FM
Central Western Slopes NSW 2ABCFM 105.5 FM
Cobar NSW 2ABCFM 106.9 FM
Goulburn (town) NSW 2ABCFM 89.5 FM
Grafton/Kempsey NSW 2ABCFM 97.9 FM
Illawarra NSW 2ABCFM 95.7 FM
Ivanhoe NSW 2ABCFM 101.3 FM
Jindabyne NSW 2ABCFM 107.5 FM
Khancoban NSW 2ABCFM 88.1 FM
Lightning Ridge NSW 2ABCFM 88.9 FM
Lord Howe Island NSW 2ABCFM 104.1 FM
Lord Howe Island NSW 2ABCFM 106.1 FM
Manning River NSW 2ABCFM 98.7 FM
Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area NSW 2ABCFM 97.3 FM
Newcastle NSW 2ABCFM 106.1 FM
Richmond/Tweed NSW 2ABCFM 95.3 FM
SW Slopes/E Riverina NSW 2ABCFM 88.3 FM
Sydney NSW 2ABCFM 92.9 FM
Talbingo NSW 2ABCFM 88.1 FM
Tamworth NSW 2ABCFM 103.1 FM
Upper Namoi NSW 2ABCFM 96.7 FM
Wagga Wagga NSW 2ABCFM 105.9 FM
Walgett NSW 2ABCFM 100.3 FM
Hobart TAS 7ABCFM 93.9 FM
NE Tasmania TAS 7ABCFM 93.3 FM

EAST
Airlie Beach QLD 4ABCFM 95.5 FM
Barcaldine QLD 4ABCFM 97.7 FM
Brisbane QLD 4ABCFM 106.1 FM
Cairns QLD 4ABCFM 105.9 FM
Cairns North QLD 4ABCFM 94.7 FM
Chillagoe QLD 4ABCFM 107.7 FM
Clermont QLD 4ABCFM 104.5 FM
Cooktown QLD 4ABCFM 100.9 FM
Darling Downs QLD 4ABCFM 107.3 FM
Emerald QLD 4ABCFM 90.7 FM
Ernest Henry Mine QLD 4ABCFM 90.5 FM
Gold Coast QLD 4ABCFM 88.5 FM
Gympie QLD 4ABCFM 93.7 FM
Mackay QLD 4ABCFM 97.9 FM
Mount Isa QLD 4ABCFM 101.7 FM
Nambour QLD 4ABCFM 88.7 FM
Rockhampton QLD 4ABCFM 106.3 FM
Roma QLD 4ABCFM 97.7 FM
Southern Downs QLD 4ABCFM 101.7 FM
Tarbat QLD 4ABCFM 104.5 FM
Thallon QLD 4ABCFM 90.9 FM
Thargomindah QLD 4ABCFM 104.5 FM
Townsville QLD 4ABCFM 101.5 FM
Townsville North QLD 4ABCFM 95.9 FM
Weipa QLD 4ABCFM 102.5 FM
Wide Bay QLD 4ABCFM 98.5 FM
Tread your own path :om:
VK2FEAE

Post by VK2FEAE »

Another example of using the logic of making sure multiple factors line up: Today, after a good opening into Townsville I heard a TAB station on 103.3. Mt. Isa area has made it here before soon after a general FNQ opening, but claiming it based on a single observation would have been very perilous. Beam heading was OK, but several other QLD TAB stations listed, all low power - and nothing else from any of the other listed towns heard. Accordingly, claiming an exotic Es log would have been very presumptuous - a bit more work revealed it was actually the TAB station at Muswellbrook (with 90-95% confidence level), also a rarity here, but a fit with the prevailing paths and patterns at the time, and considerably closer. Took me more than 30 minutes and several cross-checks to reach a conclusion, though.
VK2SWL2
Forum Novice

Post by VK2SWL2 »

VK3ZAZ wrote:Understood
ABC Classic alone high power
VIC TAS SA

Add the four other services and JJJ that's a lot of frequencies to log
Many share co channel and also the programmes are all from VASt receivers now so there is a delay in the decode and they wont be in sync they will have sat delay of 2 seconds and a decode delay as well
There's a lot more than that as well as the ones you have mentioned, that could be run by local councils or mines as retransmission services. And they can run a little bit of power as well. The ACMA published lists show those ones where they have been licenced. Easily receivable from a good Es opening. Add to that I have noticed lists for ABCCT - country program in some WA regional areas, I assume that means they are really ABC Dig Country which is only available here on digital radio (but have yet to or unlikely to hear one from home) and being taken off the satellite feed.

The same day as the Mackay reception I had already been hearing Gladstone, but then got a single log off one station on the Sunshine Coast a fair bit further south. Not logical given previous reception but a commercial station positively identified with Sea FM ID and local ads.

I've also heard SBS Chill being relayed at Nyngan NSW on the transmitter that is supposed to be taking SBS Radio (though I suspect the latter in foreign languages there would have a very small audience). And it's not programming I mind, so I had it on during the overnight work trip there Dec 2013.
VK8VTX
Forum Novice

Post by VK8VTX »

i must agree, online streaming is a big help.

about 5 or so weeks ago when i was getting lots of Japanese FM stations coming in here on 76 to 88Mhz, i did a online search of the frequency
and coming up with 3 or 4 hits all in japan. but one had a working streaming link and it was the song that i heard on the radio.
(thankfully it was an English pop song)

that station BTW is this one http://lovefm.co.jp/

73'
Joe
VK8VTX